Hyundai Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
"engine has a tick"

I seem to recall the Boy Scout manual advising to strike a match, extinguish the flame and place head of match on tick for prompt removal.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Turbos are the way of the future. Unfortunately, early adopters (you TurboNata folks) are serving as guinea pigs for Hyundai's future turbo-based cars.
Be that as it may they only allow the engine to turn to 6500 and it should easily be good to 8 grand. The weak link being no posi-trak though if it did the additional strain on the tranny/CV joints would require a beefier build.

It was raining the other day & I'm on the service road around 50 mph approaching the on ramp. I punch it and spin a tyre for longer than I cared. The anti-slip of applying the brake to the spinning wheel is swell for snow I suppose.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've got 82k miles on my Sonata and had oil leak issue from turbo line once at 70k. It was not covered under the powertrain warranty just because it was not included, got me to spend $300. Other than that, had no problem yet.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I like the sound of only an oil leak turbo line at 82K. Mine was replaced before purchase. I cannot boast at around 21K though I stick my foot in it at will w/impunity.

Rotella T6 has my back.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Be that as it may they only allow the engine to turn to 6500 and it should easily be good to 8 grand. The weak link being no posi-trak though if it did the additional strain on the tranny/CV joints would require a beefier build.

It was raining the other day & I'm on the service road around 50 mph approaching the on ramp. I punch it and spin a tyre for longer than I cared. The anti-slip of applying the brake to the spinning wheel is swell for snow I suppose.
Exactly. I am guessing as Hyundai gets more into turbocharging we will start seeing this type of setup on the cars.

I recall seeing something on another car site about Hyundai getting into the in-house tuning game. So possibly we could get a performance Sonata model incorporating a higher HP engine and mechanical/electronic slip control?

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
READING this thread made me not regret not buying the Turbo Sonata, the 194HP dual exhaust 2.4L will be sufficient for me :)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
READING this thread made me not regret not buying the Turbo Sonata, the 194HP dual exhaust 2.4L will be sufficient for me :)
A wise man once told me

"Both of them are quick enough to get you a ticket or killed"

·
Registered
61 Posts
Buy the 2.0t is not for every one reason Hyundai makes two engines.
There are some few but some times you need the extra power to pass merge safely. I had a 2.4 sonata loaner and it did every thing I asked just slower then the 2.0t. Some people don't care for the power some do.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Just hit 30,000 miles on my '12 Sonata 2.0T. No issues mechanically. Lease is up in 12 months and looking forward to my next ride (probably a '15 WRX Limited).

·
Registered
605 Posts
Buy the 2.0t is not for every one reason Hyundai makes two engines.
There are some few but some times you need the extra power to pass merge safely. I had a 2.4 sonata loaner and it did every thing I asked just slower then the 2.0t. Some people don't care for the power some do.
Having owned both (the 2.4 for 10 months) I will say I LOVE the extra power. And yes, there are times I've needed it and times when I was just glad I had it. We travel a lot with the girls volleyball and being in the mountains to hauling flat out on the plains, this thing never bats an eye. I noticed a BIG difference on Pikes Peak from the 2.4 NA, compared to the 2.0T motor. (ahhhh, that trip was FUN in the turbo)
Going from a GLS model to the 2.0 SE version was also a plus. The power is enough to make you confident that when you want to pass, or merge, chances are unless a meteor hits you,,,,, you're gonna make it. B)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I wanted to post an update .... my 2012 Sonata turned 153k miles. Over 7 years I’ve repaired the following:
Wastegate actuator (warranty)
Steering coupler (warranty)
Radiator core warranty

No too bad at all.....
M
Id say that is great. And now your car also falls under the lifetime engine warranty so you may have a long life ahead.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts