Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes. The override is not dependent on the brake pedal.
It only works when you have already pushed it once to turn on the electrical components in the car. So push once and let go, then push again for 30 seconds. But its true! It works

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Neat lil trick to know. Will keep it in mind for the future!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
It only works when you have already pushed it once to turn on the electrical components in the car. So push once and let go, then push again for 30 seconds. But its true! It works
That would probably explain why it didn't work for me when I tried. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Only 20 minutes to edit? Really? Geeze

Since it's cold the #1 radio preset is sticking again. If I try it it locks on to whatever frequency/station and claims it as it's own. I have a tiny set of flat needle nose pliers I'll have to round up. Minor pain of having to reset the presets.

After 20K I finally added some Techron to the tank. I was having no issues and the 93 octane, even w/10% ethanol, ran like a scalded ape in the cold air. I advise buying a six pack online.

I was buying ethanol free, better mpg, but for the price on Mondays the mid-grade is regular priced & premo is mid-grade priced. 93 octane W/10% is considerably cheaper than the ethanol free at 87 octane. When winter gas is gone I'll probably mix n match.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2.0T reliability, you ask?

Leased a new 2014 Sonata 2.0T on November 2013. After driving the car home (about 25 miles) and letting it sit overnight, i started it up only to hear a loud knocking sound from the engine. Noise subsided after car fully warmed up. Took it in 2 days later, only to be told the noise I heard (not present when I arrived at the dealer - car fully warmed up) was the GDI pump. Yeah...ok...Drove the car another 3000 miles, and took it in for an oil change. Again, mentioned the noise. Was told to leave the car overnight. Next morning, knocking noise was diagnosed to a cylinder 2 failure. New engine required. Currently waiting for a new longblock.:00000732:

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2011 2.0T w/ ~18,000 miles just went in for service for the waste gate issue. ECU went into limp mode, limited to 4K RPM and no turbo.

Until this, it's been hassle free. Even with this issue and waiting for a new part I should have my car back tomorrow, supposedly and I just dropped it off this morning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got a 2012 (Nov. 2011) 2.0T Sonata. At 22,000 miles zero problems, and the most reliable car I've ever had.
I'm sure I could bust it fairly quickly with a lead foot, but I try and stay off the turbo as much as possible. And I only use full synthetic oil.
I've heard that the earlier 2011s had problems, but so far I haven't experienced a single one.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Turbos are the way of the future. Unfortunately, early adopters (you TurboNata folks) are serving as guinea pigs for Hyundai's future turbo-based cars.

Sorry but its the truth. I know, because I am doing the same for Samsung in the cell phone arena.

At least there is a pretty good warranty backing up the car and (depending on the dealer) you should have transport when your car is benched.

Glass half full right?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Buick Regal, Chevrolet Malibu and Toyota Camry are on the turbo train, so it'll be interesting to see how their issues compare. Over fifty years of technology combined w/trial & error. Take a stroll:

Top 10 Turbocharged Cars of All Time (With Video!) - Popular Mechanics

No mention of Subaru!
Agreed. As well as the omission the Dodge Omni GLH, Nissan Skyline, Mazda RX7,... Although I will give them props for including Saab. Nobody realizes what an impact they had on the turbo car game.

All in all it was a good piece for the general reader but fails to impress the gearhead in me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just bought a new Sonata 2.0 last week and after reading through this thread I'm kinda doubting my decision. I really like the power, the options and so on but one of the main selling points was the 100K warranty. I have 320 miles on my car and the engine has a tick. It loud enough that if you were just walking by you would hear it. Even when it's warm it does it. :/ Someone had said they had the same thing happen and it required a new motor. ..hope that's not the case!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine has almost 30k miles and no issues..

The only one I had was a bad temperature oil sensor in transmission at around 20k which was replaced by dealer under warranty...

Other than that? none.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I just bought a new Sonata 2.0 last week and after reading through this thread I'm kinda doubting my decision. I really like the power, the options and so on but one of the main selling points was the 100K warranty. I have 320 miles on my car and the engine has a tick. It loud enough that if you were just walking by you would hear it. Even when it's warm it does it. :/ Someone had said they had the same thing happen and it required a new motor. ..hope that's not the case!
Hey norm, that tick you hear you sure it's not the sound of the direct injection of the engine? Lots of people hear that and think it's an issue and it's not it's part of having a gdi motor

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey norm, that tick you hear you sure it's not the sound of the direct injection of the engine? Lots of people hear that and think it's an issue and it's not it's part of having a gdi motor
No I never thought of that...I didn't know an injection system would that....I learn something new everyday! Lol thanks!

·
Registered
920 Posts
No I never thought of that...I didn't know an injection system would that....I learn something new everyday! Lol thanks!
No problem. Don't worry as any cars these days that are direct injection make the same kind of nice. Some hide it better than others but they are the same when the engine cover is removed and hood open.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Turbos are the way of the future. Unfortunately, early adopters (you TurboNata folks) are serving as guinea pigs for Hyundai's future turbo-based cars.

Sorry but its the truth. I know, because I am doing the same for Samsung in the cell phone arena.

At least there is a pretty good warranty backing up the car and (depending on the dealer) you should have transport when your car is benched.

Glass half full right?
Toyota playing it smart.
Waiting for all the others while perfecting their game.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Good for them. I would guess the next Camry will follow the rest of the pack and go 4cyl all the way.

Which will make Hyundai step up their game in the next gen after the LF Sonata.

WIN for everyone.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good for them. I would guess the next Camry will follow the rest of the pack and go 4cyl all the way.

Which will make Hyundai step up their game in the next gen after the LF Sonata.

WIN for everyone.
But I really like that V6 in the Camry

It's powerful, utterly smooth and efficient motor

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Agreed. And I am no Toyota fanboi...just someone who has driven way too many cars.

BTW sorry to hear about you all losing all of your auto assembly and mfg down there. First GM then Toyota... have always envied the sweet Ozzie metal that we cannot get here.

Thanks for the short lived G8 though!

41 - 60 of 73 Posts