Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
almost 9 months and im already 30.000 kms. wth is wrong with me, why I drive so much!!
No issues so far except I don't make enough money to mod my car up :(
I like the smoothness of the car, don't have any road noises. Just some rattles on doors (while listening to music) and pano roof's rubber sometimes messed up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am confused. Per Page 24 of my 2011 Owner's Handbook and Warranty Information under the heading "ENGINE", covered items are "Cylinder block/head and all internal parts, ....and turbocharger." For me this is covered for 10/100,000 because I am the original owner. Now, if they're considering the waste gate actuator separate from the waste gate and turbo itself, then I guess that's a technicality. However, people should not be given the false impression that the turbocharger itself is not covered under the 10/100,000 warranty for original owners. If you maintain the vehicle per factory recommendations then a blown turbo should be covered. I would also make an argument for the waste gate itself.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm unsure how Hyundai is "out to get you". Honestly it's prolly your dealer out to get you, some love to do do that. I highly doubt Hyundai brand is out to screw anyone. Why don't you call HMA, see,what they can do..and take your manual in and show them per page 24 like previous posts says, if the dealer doesn't honor it try somewhere else or call HMA

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ditto. Many people don't realize that:

1) Dealerships stay in manufacturers' good graces by limiting the warranty claims. This goes for all makes and models.

2) When a dealership charges you for a repair, they mark up the part and bill you the full shop rate for labor. When the manufacturer pays the dealer for warranty work, there is no profit on the parts and the labor is paid at a discounted rate.

Therefore it is in the dealer's best interest to make you, and not the manufacturer, pay for a repair. Like Jpandrade says, go find another dealer and have your warranty booklet in hand.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Now, if they're considering the waste gate actuator separate from the waste gate and turbo itself, then I guess that's a technicality.
Yes, but they have to draw the line somewhere so expect if the part is not lubricated it is not part of the longer warranty.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Current mileage 10140 miles. Trans temp sensor, AC compressor, Fuel Injectors, Valve cover and valve cover gasket, Radio. Not in that order but all have been replaced. At the dealership as we speak having the injectors replaced.
You should use the Techron they sell at the Hyundai dealers, or something like it to keep those injectors clean. All the GDI engines have issues with carbon build up on them if not using good gas, or an additive.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yup, I made that exact same argument with the dealer while staring at the results you guys provided. Sadly, I realized that my argument doesn't have "great" backup since all the reported issues have miles way under 60k. I seem to be the one with such high mileage. The dealer stated that ONLY engine and transmission components are covered by 10yr/100k. The turbo issue is not directly an engine issue...even though I stated that "this issue results with total loss of engine performance." They get real technical...engine warranty is plain simple engine warranty. Turbo is not engine...even though part of it, but it is not the engine.

This is making me feel like Hyundai is just out to eventually cheat people. 100k mile transmission without a need for service? Are you crazy? That's just waiting for warranty to expire so they can say to your face, "your warranty is up so we don't cover your broker transmission". That whole fiasco with the oil filter announcement? Just because Hyundai and Kia doesn't test or approve aftermarket OF doesn't mean we can't use it, but I'm pretty sure that if we do and it works fine, then great, but if it's faulty, then too bad, you should've used an OEM.

Anyone else get that vibe from them?
My 2011 2.0T got hit with the wastegate issue and at 65K miles, I got the cold shoulder for warranty repair. I was one of those guys who never saw themselves in a Hyundai but the styling, power, features and warranty helped me break that Hyundai stigma but after this debacle, I cannot see myself as a return customer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did any of you guys with those wastegate problems and dealerships refusing to address the problem under warranty attempt going to other dealerships for repairs? Sometimes specific dealerships can actually provide significantly different service. Also did any of you guys try contacting Hyundai at a corporate level rather than just going through the dealership? If not then I personally would try both of the above options.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Did any of you guys with those wastegate problems and dealerships refusing to address the problem under warranty attempt going to other dealerships for repairs? Sometimes specific dealerships can actually provide significantly different service. Also did any of you guys try contacting Hyundai at a corporate level rather than just going through the dealership? If not then I personally would try both of the above options.
In my case, I have had a great relationship with my dealer and they have always provided top notch service and discounted service for me as a long running customer (they do all my maintenance). They even discounted this repair but before offering it, they submitted it as a warranty repair to Hyundai, it was denied.

My issue isn't that they would deny the repair because I was over mileage as they have to draw a line somewhere. My issue is that the wastegate is somehow excluded from the 10/100 warranty though it is without question part of the drivetrain. To me it's just shady and makes me question what other things are in the fine print of their "longest in the business" warranty.

I love my car, I like my dealer but this has definitely depreciated my opinion of Hyundai. Fortunately the "fix" was not expensive this time and I can eat it but I would really struggle right now to buy or recommend another Hyundai. If nothing else in the "drivetrain" goes wrong that costs a significant money, maybe I will feel different as the best warranty in the business is the one you don't need.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I experienced the wastegate voltage out of spec limp mode on initial start but reset after a restart problem. I went to the dealership and got the 'no problem found' run around. So on a day off I started the car, as expected it went into the no turbo limp mode so I drove to the dealership (leaving the car running) told them it was in the limp mode and they ran a diagnostic and what do you know the car showed the code that the wastegate voltage was off. The car had to sit for about four hours to cool down and they ran the TSB to adjust the wastegate voltage. The problem has not reoccurred and that was over a year ago.

The only other problem was a 'recall' for 'rust belt' cars to replace the rear suspension lower control arms.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Turbo 2.0 engine problems

Road trip from Alberta to California in 2012 Sonata 2.0 Ltd. Car broke down an hour before Las Vegas, engine light came on and when using gas pedal, car shuddered, got towed in. Spark plug broke, needed new engine. They gave us a loaner which was great but on the way home, it sounded like a helicopter. Got it home, needed new axle and wheel bearing. Nevada Planet Hyundai said the spark plug overheating and breaking with the turbo engine is a known problem. Previous problems with the sunroof. Nice car but hope this does not continue.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Just saw the Santa Fe Sport 2.0T does 0-60 in 9.1 seconds. That sucks! I'd go for a Kia Sportage SX.
That's at C level . The TFL guys out of Boulder I think only got 10 secs on 0-60 runs. So Woodland Park is at what 7k ft ? I lived in C Springs for 6 yrs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Road trip from Alberta to California in 2012 Sonata 2.0 Ltd. Car broke down an hour before Las Vegas, engine light came on and when using gas pedal, car shuddered, got towed in. Spark plug broke, needed new engine. They gave us a loaner which was great but on the way home, it sounded like a helicopter. Got it home, needed new axle and wheel bearing. Nevada Planet Hyundai said the spark plug overheating and breaking with the turbo engine is a known problem. Previous problems with the sunroof. Nice car but hope this does not continue.
very similar thing happened on my 2012. my husband was driving it to work, it shuddered and died. he had it towed in and was told a spark plug broke and we needed a new engine. this was at 600 miles :mad: they put us in a loaner (a 2010 elantra....) for 7 weeks! the dealer said they had to keep going back and forth with corp to get it approved. at one point they said they weren't going to put a new long block in, just a short and piece it back together. we were very unhappy with that and fought to have them keep fighting to get a long block.

since then, we haven't had too many issues with the car. but that was a big one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2.0 Turbo problems

August 2013, driving from Alberta to California. We had our engine and turbo blow on our 2012 Sonata 2.0 turbo. Hyundai replaced the engine but did not cover our full expenses. The engine was not installed properly, so back to the shop it went. Needed an axle and wheel bearing. Nice warranty, but no fun waiting weeks for parts and service. Las Vegas Planet Hyundai told us it was a common problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
29300 on my 2011 and today it died in gas station. Turned off to fuel, went to start, brake pedal like a rock and no start. No matter what was done. Car at dealer now. Used Hyundai Roadside Assistance and was really surprised. Quick service and professional people came for the car. AAA could use lessons from them.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
29300 on my 2011 and today it died in gas station. Turned off to fuel, went to start, brake pedal like a rock and no start. No matter what was done. Car at dealer now. Used Hyundai Roadside Assistance and was really surprised. Quick service and professional people came for the car. AAA could use lessons from them.
If it's just a brake switch, then the fix is very easy. I hope that's what it is.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yeah, I've got the push-button ignition, and had this happen to me a few times. Got it fixed under warranty. If you didn't know, there's an override function if you hold down the ignition button for 30 seconds. If you find yourself stuck, try that first before calling AAA.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts