Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are waiting for delivery of a 2013 Santa Fe Sport with the turbo engine. I am posting here since that engine is new to the SF and there is no history in that model. I have read some of the threads in this section and would value your thoughts and opinions. Also, own a 2001 2.5 V-6 which has been the most trouble free car ever owned (Sonata).

Questions are:

Overall reliabilty
Mileage
Serviceabilty
Turbo Lag
Warranty Isssues - what is covered. See attached from Hyundai site:

<10-YEAR/100,000-MILE POWERTRAIN PROTECTION

Covers repair or replacement of powertrain components (i.e., selected engine and transmission/transaxle components), originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai that are defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance. Coverage applies to original owner only, effective with 2004 model year and newer model year vehicles. On 1999-2003 model years, coverage applies to original owner and immediate family members (i.e., wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson).
Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5-Year/60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (e.g. taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.). >

What do they mean by "selected" components?

I have read about the wastegate issue and some of the TSB's.

My driving impressions of the 2013 Santa Fe 2.0T are very positive.

I would appreciate your experience and comments.

Kind Regards, Grandpa

·
Registered
538 Posts
Gramps,

Just turned 24K in 11 months.

NO reliability issues. Originally, changed the oil 5W20 at 3500 miles (approx.). I started using Valvoline 5W40 synthetic and increased the interval to around every 5K miles. Installled oil catch can.

Mileage is near mid 29mpg with 75% highway.

Not sure what you mean by "serviceability"

Yes, there is lag, wish it wasn't there, but I don't mind it. I'm still amazed at the acceleration of this "4 banger".

I'm pretty sure the turbo is covered for only half of the 10yr/100K miles warranty.

·
Registered
83 Posts
As far as turbo lag my 2012 Sonata 2.0T has less lag than just about any turbo I've ever driven. I love this engine, and car. The sound, torque (Low end torque comes on VERY fast/at low rpms), smoothness, etc. is tops. I used to drive my mom's Acura RDX (The old one with the twin scroll turbo engine), and I prefer the Hyundai 2.0T far more, and not just because the Sonata makes over 30+more hp, but the actual way the power is delivered, sound, etc. is far superior than the Acura engine (Can't believe I'm even typing this because I've always been a serious diehard Honda fan, but I can't help giving respect/credit when it's deserved. ;-) ) Sooooo bottom line is I definitely recommend this engine.

·
Registered
320 Posts
17K miles and haven't had a single problem, great motor. I was told the turbo would be covered for full term with everything else.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Around 22k on mine with no serious engine issues. The 2.0Ts do make a little bit of a rattle at cold startup. Was told this is the electronic wastegate actuator, but the funny thing is when my wife and I test-drove a 2.4L 2013 SFS, I noticed the same thing, and obviously, that engine doesn't have a turbo.

Only issue I've had with mine I find mildly annoying is the amount of carbon buildup I get on my exhaust tips, but I'd rather blow it out the tailpipe than have it build up in my engine. I just wipe them off with a little Windex & paper towels every few days. Some people probably wouldn't care. Maybe I'm just OCD about it.

FWIW, I run mine only on 91 octane and only use synthetic oil, but you're probably okay running it on 87. A lot of owners on this forum do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Current mileage 10140 miles. Trans temp sensor, AC compressor, Fuel Injectors, Valve cover and valve cover gasket, Radio. Not in that order but all have been replaced. At the dealership as we speak having the injectors replaced.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Just saw the Santa Fe Sport 2.0T does 0-60 in 9.1 seconds. That sucks! I'd go for a Kia Sportage SX.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Current mileage 10140 miles. Trans temp sensor, AC compressor, Fuel Injectors, Valve cover and valve cover gasket, Radio. Not in that order but all have been replaced. At the dealership as we speak having the injectors replaced.
Sheesh, that's a lot of stuff for 10k...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes it is. I love the car but am very aggravated with it at the same time. Only up side to it is I am driving a Genesis sedan as a loaner right now :D
Ha, that's awesome. Hopefully I'm as lucky if I'm as unlucky...

Does the dealer have any comment on your repeated visits?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2012 Sonata 2.0T Have around 54,000KM on it Love it, Love the low end power , doesn't have to gear down when climbing a hill , like my 2009 sonata , gls with 2.4L did. No serious problems ( had two water hose clamps changed due to leaking.) Dealer fixed while waiting. app 20 mins. I get on the average 750-800 KM per tank averaging about 50/50 city/hwy.
I have experienced trips with average 5.7litres/100 KM to trips with average 8.9 litres /100lkm U.S Ratings ( 41miles per US gal and 26miles per US gallon. I give my car a 4.9 out of 5 Rating.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There is zero turbo lag on the 2.0t what you feel is lag is the torque management holding boost back till a higher gear.

I'm at 21k owning for. 21months.
Waste gate issue seemed to be only with early 11,12 model yrs.
service your car at the times Hyundai says and you will be fine.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Around 22k on mine with no serious engine issues. The 2.0Ts do make a little bit of a rattle at cold startup. Was told this is the electronic wastegate actuator, but the funny thing is when my wife and I test-drove a 2.4L 2013 SFS, I noticed the same thing, and obviously, that engine doesn't have a turbo.

Only issue I've had with mine I find mildly annoying is the amount of carbon buildup I get on my exhaust tips, but I'd rather blow it out the tailpipe than have it build up in my engine. I just wipe them off with a little Windex & paper towels every few days. Some people probably wouldn't care. Maybe I'm just OCD about it.

FWIW, I run mine only on 91 octane and only use synthetic oil, but you're probably okay running it on 87. A lot of owners on this forum do.
I wouldn't call that OCD, I use mothers chrome and stainless polish on mine

·
Registered
94 Posts
Bought mine November 2011, a week before Thanksgiving.

Other than the FF oil, car has only seen synthetic oil changes, varying from 0w-30 to 0w-40. Currently sticking to 0w-40

DO NOT try to push your transmission to 100k w/o a service. At around 60k, I could feel gears starting to slip and had transmission serviced at around 66k.

Had the brake start issue and TSB fixed it -- twice.

Now at ~71,000 miles and last night turbo power crapped. Went to dealer to have CEL checked and they see the waste gate issue.

Here's the fun part...
It's only covered under 5yr/60k warranty, NOT 10yr/100k. 10yr/100k is ONLY engine and transmission...anything not directly related to the engine or transmission itself is not considered under 10yr/100k. In this case, the issue is not the engine or the transmission, so there goes the warranty.

Repair costs -- ~400 and repair warranty is only covered for 1yr.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Poiuy that's crazy because I don't see how the wastegate isn't related to the engine because a broken wastegate could completely impair the engines ability to function and it's also attached to the turbo, a component bolted to the engine. Personally I would imagine that with enough arguing one could get such repairs made under warranty, however maybe you tried that?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Came back from the dealer.

They fixed it with the wastegate TSB and test drove it only to have the issue come back. Turns out, the wastegate actuator needs to be replaced and only has warranty covered for 5yr/60k.

Get it checked out before you guys hit 60k. That 10yr/100k coverage is "misleading". Sure Hyundai has specified warranty periods for non engine and transmission components, but my experience with another quality manufacturer (Acura) gave me ZERO problems out of the entire time I had my Acura. The only time they refused a warranty was when the transmission went bad on my 02 TL-S and mileage was way past 100k. Everything before that, whether past their typical 5yr/60k or not, they covered.

Seems like Hyundai is NOT really one who's catered towards customer satisfaction or loyalty. They reject and give you the hand in less than 2 seconds.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Poiuy that's crazy because I don't see how the wastegate isn't related to the engine because a broken wastegate could completely impair the engines ability to function and it's also attached to the turbo, a component bolted to the engine. Personally I would imagine that with enough arguing one could get such repairs made under warranty, however maybe you tried that?
Yup, I made that exact same argument with the dealer while staring at the results you guys provided. Sadly, I realized that my argument doesn't have "great" backup since all the reported issues have miles way under 60k. I seem to be the one with such high mileage. The dealer stated that ONLY engine and transmission components are covered by 10yr/100k. The turbo issue is not directly an engine issue...even though I stated that "this issue results with total loss of engine performance." They get real technical...engine warranty is plain simple engine warranty. Turbo is not engine...even though part of it, but it is not the engine.

This is making me feel like Hyundai is just out to eventually cheat people. 100k mile transmission without a need for service? Are you crazy? That's just waiting for warranty to expire so they can say to your face, "your warranty is up so we don't cover your broker transmission". That whole fiasco with the oil filter announcement? Just because Hyundai and Kia doesn't test or approve aftermarket OF doesn't mean we can't use it, but I'm pretty sure that if we do and it works fine, then great, but if it's faulty, then too bad, you should've used an OEM.

Anyone else get that vibe from them?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts