Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All Hyundai owners !
I have had my 2003 Elantra GLS for over 12 months now and travelled 51,000km and am very happy except for the flat spot at 3,800 RPM
I do a lot of country driving so I notice it a lot !

Are there any other Australian owners who have the same problem?

I have details of an American Tech Service bulletin(04-35-004 dated April 2004) but the local agents say that only applies to the US models?
any comments please

Mike

·
Registered
422 Posts
Can you describe the flat spot to me please.
What does the car actually do?
How does it behave?
Does it do it all the time?
Is it only at a specified RPM?

And also anything else you think is handy for me to know so that I can help you.

Thanks
Dr. Hundi

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Oct 28 2004, 11:22 PM
Can you describe the flat spot to me please.
What does the car actually do?
How does it behave?
Does it do it all the time?
Is it only at a specified RPM?

And also anything else you think is handy for me to know so that I can help you.

Thanks
Dr. Hundi
[snapback]2110[/snapback]​

Hi Dr Hundi,
The flat spot or hesitation occurs at exactly the same RPM each time 3,800 (just under 4,000) - It feels like the car is slowing down, then surges forward, and it is worse up hills and with the aircon on - A real pain when you are trying to overtake in 3rd gear - My solution (when problem- truck comming other way !)is to take it to 6,000 in 2nd gear, so when I change into 3rd the engine is doing over 4,000 RPM

Mike

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you hold it at the position where it hits the flat spot, will the engine completely die down? Or is it too hard to hold it in the same spot once it is jerking around.

My guess is that you have a T.P.S (throttle position sensor) failure.
One of the incriments(contacts on your potentiometer) within your T.P.S has open circuited. Causing no voltage return at this particular position.
Will it cut out, if you slowly rev it up to this speed whilst in nuetral?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Oct 29 2004, 12:57 AM
If you hold it at the position where it hits the flat spot, will the engine completely die down? Or is it too hard to hold it in the same spot once it is jerking around.

My guess is that you have a T.P.S (throttle position sensor) failure.
One of the incriments(contacts on your potentiometer) within your T.P.S has open circuited. Causing no voltage return at this particular position.
Will it cut out, if you slowly rev it up to this speed whilst in nuetral?
[snapback]2118[/snapback]​

Hi Dr Hundi,
No the engine doesnt cut out if it is held at this RPM
If the acceleration is only gentle - the hesitation is almost not noticeable
so it is worst when the accelerator is fully open -
Have you read the TSB i quoted - it also has a thing called "stumbling" at start up - my car does this too! - something I had noticed once or twice but didnt worry - untill I read the TSB
Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Oct 29 2004, 03:39 AM
Is it possible that you provide me the link to this page?
[snapback]2123[/snapback]​

Yep sure can!

http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/default.asp

just fill in top section with year/car/engine then click on the TSB tab

its under engine electrical

It is a cool site as it shows lots of things that need atention on my elantra - such as the tape on the doors and the wind noise from front doors

Mike

·
Registered
422 Posts
A rather large apology to you.
I knew exactly what you were talking about the whole time.
I have the flu at the moment and my head isn't all that clear.

Yes you will need to have your ECM reprogrammed. I have carried out this process before, but for the automatic transmission flarring whilst shifting.

I have seen this T.S.B before but never took much notice of it, because I have not yet come across one that needs attending to in this section of it.

Where abouts in Aus are you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Oct 29 2004, 04:52 AM
A rather large apology to you.
I knew exactly what you were talking about the whole time.
I have the flu at the moment and my head isn't all that clear.

Yes you will need to have your ECM reprogrammed. I have carried out this process before, but for the automatic transmission flarring whilst shifting.

I have seen this T.S.B before but never took much notice of it, because I have not yet come across one that needs attending to in this section of it.

Where abouts in Aus are you?
[snapback]2126[/snapback]​

So there are not many elantras with this prob?
and you have seen Aust. version reprogramed?
I suspect the auto g/box hides the problem - manual highlights it

I'm in Adelaide

Mike

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yes, I have carried out the ECM reprogramming many times for the auto problem.

Take it to your dealer and tell them your problem, and tell them that you have recieved a TSB for the rectification of this problem.
If they are persistant that they do not want to help you, then contact H.M.C.A (Hyundai Motor Company Australia) and tell them your problem.

They will definitely help you with your problem.

Hope all turns out well.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi all,
Yes, this is a known phenomina, and is emission related. the ECM momentarily (at this rpm) retards the ignition time a few degree to lower combustion temp (high NOX). this is more pronounced with a standard tranny, rather with the slush-box. we done this reprogramming with some good result, but not 100%

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by duke@Nov 1 2004, 09:41 AM
Hi all,
Yes, this is a known phenomina, and is emission related. the ECM momentarily (at this rpm) retards the ignition time a few degree to lower combustion temp (high NOX). this is more pronounced with a standard tranny, rather with the slush-box. we done this reprogramming with some good result, but not 100%
[snapback]2231[/snapback]​

Hi Duke,
Is that in Australia or the USA?
I have had my local dealer look at their latest update files today, and still nothing here in South Australia !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Oct 30 2004, 03:15 AM
Yes, I have carried out the ECM reprogramming many times for the auto problem.

Take it to your dealer and tell them your problem, and tell them that you have recieved a TSB for the rectification of this problem.
If they are persistant that they do not want to help you, then contact H.M.C.A (Hyundai Motor Company Australia) and tell them your problem.

They will definitely help you with your problem.

Hope all turns out well.
[snapback]2164[/snapback]​

Hi Dr Hundi,
I had another visit to my local dealer today and they have just receiced the "latest" software update for the Elantra - but still no update for the flat spot at 3,800 RPM .
Can you find out from your sources when it might be available here in Australia?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
422 Posts
Will do guys, I will ask on tuesday what is going on? :huh:

If i get any info I should be able to post it here on Tuesday night!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Forum,
Well I am now a fully satisfied Hyundai owner!
I had some minor work done on my 2003 GLS Elantra at my local dealer and while they were looking at a cold idle problem, they "reset" the engine managemnt computer(and I suspect downloaded the latest software) and lo and behold my problem of nearly 2 years - the dreaded 3,800rpm flat spot is gone!!!!!!!
I have driven it for a week now and it is definately fixed.
On another note - the cold idle is still the same and will get it looked at during the next service(90,000km) :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts