Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I currently have a 2.4 limited that the lease is coming up soon. I test drove a 2.0 turbo limited and I thought it was great compared to my current car. But if I want to move up to one it will be roughly $50-$75 more a month. How have others compared the two choices? I’m having a hard time deciding if it’s worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
932 Posts
So I currently have a 2.4 limited that the lease is coming up soon. I test drove a 2.0 turbo limited and I thought it was great compared to my current car. But if I want to move up to one it will be roughly $50-$75 more a month. How have others compared the two choices? I’m having a hard time deciding if it’s worth it.

I'm in exactly the same boat. The lease on my 2.4 Limited is up the beginning of June. The first problem I have is that it's still almost the same car, especially the interior. I've been looking at that interior for 3 years, I need some new visuals. Also, the deletion of features from my model bothers me.

So I was thinking that at least the turbo would offer a different driving experience. I'm also thinking of the Optima. It looks like there's about a $2K difference to step up to the turbo. For me that seems worth it just to make the car different enough than what I have now.

·
Registered
156 Posts
There are some questions you need to ask yourself.

1: Am I okay with oil changes every 3k miles verse my 5k miles now?
2: (Assuming you'll keep it after the lease period ends) The higher cost of ownership.
3: Does my current 2.4 feel too weak?
4: Am I okay with less MPG?

Now for my input:

I personally own both versions of the engine. 2015 KIA Optima 2.4, and a 2015 Sonata 2.0t limited. The power difference to me is night and day; HOWEVER, when I drive my Optima I don't really 'miss' the power of the 2.0t. Something I do like more about the 2.0t is that it doesn't sound 'busy' getting up to 35-45MPH like the 2.4 does. The sound is much more pleasant.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I personally own both versions of the engine. 2015 KIA Optima 2.4, and a 2015 Sonata 2.0t limited. The power difference to me is night and day; HOWEVER, when I drive my Optima I don't really 'miss' the power of the 2.0t. Something I do like more about the 2.0t is that it doesn't sound 'busy' getting up to 35-45MPH like the 2.4 does. The sound is much more pleasant.
When I was choosing between Sonata and Optima (2015-2016), both with a regular 2.4L engine, I felt that Sonata was quite a bit quieter and smoother (suspension-wise). Optima seemed to be a bit toward "tin-can" end of the spectrum. So, I wonder if that could contribute to the difference you hear.
I've tried at two Optimas and 3 or 4 Sonatas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

2: (Assuming you'll keep it after the lease period ends) The higher cost of ownership.

Now for my input:

Didn’t know about the oil change interval, is that still the case for the 2018? I probably won’t keep the car, if that was the case I’ll just buy it. MPG, well I don’t get the greatest right now so not a big deal.

I could probably live with the 2.4, but I drove the 2.0 and it was a lot more fun to drive. At the same time it’s really the same car I have now. March the incentives are pretty good so that is what I’m struggling with right now. The only down side is each Sonata is terrible in the snow and makes me want to go to an AWD car/suv.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts

1. Oil changes on the LF 2.0T are 5000 severe service and 7500 regular, no different really than the 2.4. Although synthetic is advised but I use synthetic in any thing with an internal combustion engine - cars- motorcycles- tractor-mowers and yard equip.

2. If keep up has the same 100,000 drive train warranty as the 2.4 so all major components are covered including turbo. And many 4cyl turbo cars on the road now and going 200,000 miles

3. IMO the 2.0T is a huge difference in driving experience due to the torque and in the LF even though it is a little less than the previous YF it comes in at low RPM and holds so the "turbo lag" in minimal and the power to pass or accelerate is always there. Its by no means a rocket but a lot of that is due to the 2015-2017 6 sp auto, Im told the new 8 sp auto helps a lot.

4. MPG is also minimal if driven conservatively, stay out of the boost at cruising speeds and I drive 130 miles a day RT mostly 65-85 mph on California freeways and get 31-32 mpg if Im taking my time. Ive also noticed that if speeds are kept to 65 ,pg can be 31-33 mpg. But a lot of why I have the 2.0T is the extra fun of having some power, so Im aggressive, manual shifting and in the 3500 -5000 rpm range a lot and that will drop the mpg to 26

I would not have purchased my Sonata if it had not been available in the 2.0T, the 2.4 did not do it for me. I would have looked at the Elantra Sport with the 1.6T and the DCT. with the DCT it is a much quicker car to drive but smaller and more road noise etc.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Per oil changes.

My 2015 2.0T calls for every 5000 miles or 6 months.

My 2018 2.0T calls for every 6000 miles or 12 months.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts
My Hyundai account says I should change the oil every 3k miles or 3 months considering my driving habits.
In my service manual for 2017 LF 2.0T it is 5000 miles for oil and filter in extreme service, long idling , short trips (taxi) then 3750 miles.

·
Registered
932 Posts
In my service manual for 2017 LF 2.0T it is 5000 miles for oil and filter in extreme service, long idling , short trips (taxi) then 3750 miles.
That stuff about the taxi is BS. Short trips are killer, but not in the context of a taxi.

The majority of damage to an engine is done when you start and the engine is cold. If all your miles are short trips and the engine is always cold you need more frequent oil changes. But if you get in a cab at 5 am and drive until 3 pm and never turn the engine off, it doesn't matter the nature of the trips.

People brag about their cars when they get over 100,000 miles. I never drove a cab that didn't go at least 400,000 miles without any engine repairs. I drove for 14 years and managed a fleet of 6 cabs for 8 years and owned a cab for 3 years.

Now if you want to talk transmissions, that's a whole different ball game.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts