Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to change the spark plugs on my 2.0 GDI (2016). First three were really easy but I can't figure out how to get the right coil out. It was what appears to be a fuel line over it. Anyone has done this before?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks like it's the fuel pump in the way. I can't believe it would require taking the fuel pump off to replace a spark plug.

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, but that's kind of useless for this. They do the easy plug on the left but none of the online videos/DIY's ever shows the far right plug.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like I may need to remove the low pressure fuel line into the pump so I can get the ignition coil off. Anyone know how the Hyundai connector works? Special tool required?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Are you sure you need to replace them, already, Have you hit 100,000 miles?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, 60k. Every time I've tried to change a 100k plug it always wants to stick in the head so I might as well change them while in there to remove them. They aren't that expensive. Will post when I try to replace the 4th one this weekend.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depressurized the fuel system and started to take the fuel line off. Got cold feet and the local Hyundai dealer did it. I asked the tech how he did it and he loosened the two bolts holding the fuel pump on to give enough space to pull the coil out. Bad design Hyundai. Only maintenance thing left is to replace the coolant.

·
Registered
2016 Elantra GT 2.0 AT & 2011 Sonata SE 2.4
16 Posts
Depressurized the fuel system and started to take the fuel line off. Got cold feet and the local Hyundai dealer did it. I asked the tech how he did it and he loosened the two bolts holding the fuel pump on to give enough space to pull the coil out. Bad design Hyundai. Only maintenance thing left is to replace the coolant.
Thank you for posting this! Started changing my plugs on 2016 Elantra GT with 2.0 GDI and hit the same issue extremely frustrated with the Hyundai design with fuel lines in the way of coil pack #4 on the far right. I will carefully try to loosen the fuel pump enough to wiggle the coil pack out of there! Cheers!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've done them and didn't have to remove the high pressure fuel pump at all. Just unclipped the one plastic clip that was kind of in the way and that was enough clearance to get the socket in. There may have been some other bolts, can't remember, but there wasn't any disconnecting any fuel lines involved.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've done them and didn't have to remove the high pressure fuel pump at all. Just unclipped the one plastic clip that was kind of in the way and that was enough clearance to get the socket in. There may have been some other bolts, can't remember, but there wasn't any disconnecting any fuel lines involved.
After initially loosening the fuel pump, I was able to get the coil pack out to change the plug. Core issue was random misfire in Cyl 1&4. Turns out new plugs did not fix it, so ended up getting new coil packs. Going to remove the coil pack the second time, I was able to wiggle the pack out and place the new one in without messing with fuel pump at all...so cool!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you have codes for random misfire? Did the coils fix the issue?
I did, yes. Random misfire in cylinders 1 & 4. Ive put about 300 miles on it sonce then and no CEL. Ive pushed it to 6000RPM multiple times with no issues. Power feels low, definitely more sluggish than I remember it about 5000-10000 miles ago. Wondering about intake valves getting gummed up...

·
Registered
2018 tucson 2.0 AWD, 1992 Volvo 940 turbo, 1998 Volvo S70T5m, 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0
11 Posts
Just changed them on my friend's 2018 2.0 awd at 61k. You absolutely do NOT need to remove the high pressure pump or any of the lines to get the 4th cylinder coilpack out. It just requires a little finesse and wiggling in the right directions and it will slip out past the lines, same is true for reinstallation.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I did, yes. Random misfire in cylinders 1 & 4. Ive put about 300 miles on it sonce then and no CEL. Ive pushed it to 6000RPM multiple times with no issues. Power feels low, definitely more sluggish than I remember it about 5000-10000 miles ago. Wondering about intake valves getting gummed up...
I recently started getting P0300, P0301, P0304 as well, and a lot of other drama to go with it. Wasn't able to figure it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently started getting P0300, P0301, P0304 as well, and a lot of other drama to go with it. Wasn't able to figure it out.
The misfire did not completely go away for me after changing spark plugs (gapped and torqued) and the coil packs. I started worrying about a vacuum leak causing the issue next. Tested it by spraying carb cleaner around some of the vacuum lines. Inspected the PCV valve (shook it and heard rattling inside meaning it was good still). I guessed brake booster, but wasn't willing to attempt that, so got an OEM brake booster vacuum line with the check valve between and hooked it up quick, but didn't seem to resolve my degrading power and fuel consumption now too. Last week, on the commute home with 1500 ft elevation incline in about 10 miles, my Elantra GT 2.0 was struggling to maintain 65-70 mph. Downshifting to 4th or 5th helped a tiny bit, but the steepest part had me down to 60 mph, not great when others are passing at 75-80. Everytime I accelerated up through the gears the engine bay gave this whistling noise above 2500RPM and ONLY when accelerator was pressed. Let off of the gas, noise went away. Bad vacuum leak? Slipping belt? Loose pulley? Hyundai dealer says it needs a new engine, reporting they found debris in the oil. Same thing all the older Hyundai recalls were for...at 85K miles 2nd owner, I'm out of powertrain warranty, but dealer created case with Hyundai to see if anything can be done to help with the dealers quote of $12K to replace engine with short block since long blocks are unavailable. I have been looking to get a Veloster N as my next car, but after this, won't be coming back to Hyundai...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Seriously, a new engine at 85k? Does yours have the GDI engine?
Yes, 2.0L GDI Nu G4NC. Apparently, it is in the Tuscon, Elantra GT, Kia Soul, and Kia Forte. Filed a complaint with NHTSA. Maybe this engine will end up having the warranty period extended like Hyundai did for their other recalls. We'll see this week.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts