Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2005 2.0 crtd Santa with 105000 miles on the clock.
It will start normally from cold or when it has been left for a few hours but when it is left for half an hour or so it refuses to start for about fifteen minutes of more or less constant cranking.
I am throwing up a camshaft position sensor fault but have heard that the cam and crank sensors work together.
Does anyone know where the crankshaft sensor is and is it as a easy job as the cam sensor to replace? If I am going to replace one I might as well do the other!

·
Registered
843 Posts
The cam shaft sensor is involved in the initial determining of a timing for the injectors at startup.
After startup (running motor) the cranckshaft sensor is taking over that function.
So it could certainly be a problem with camshaft sensor.
Helas I do not know the exact locations, but certainly other older threads will hold that info.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paul, that makes sense. I suspect engine/coolant temperature sensor has something to do with the problem as well. If the engine is at normal running temperature or if it is cold it will fire but if it is in a warm condition it won't.

·
Registered
843 Posts
You are correct. Also a faulty temperature sensor can bring the engine to a stop. If it is sensing (erronous) overheat it will do so.
So you might check that too.
You could look for crumbled insolation on sensor wiring, they tend to give short circuits then, so disabling the sensor.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O.K replaced cam sensor, no change , still starting from cold and hot. If left for 1 hour the car refuses to start. Now going to replace the crank sensor (if someone can tell me where it is ). The sensor seems to be in different places on each engine variant, I believe the DE4A is shared with the Tucson. Does anyone know where the crank sensor is on that model?? I have a genuine workshop manual but the diagram showing the sensor position is not clear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also having problems with starting/driving. Any additional ideas would be greatfully received.
2005 diesel DE4A

Initially car would start, tick over, but cut out while driving. This happened two or three times, fuel pressure release was replaced, fine for a month, then same problem returned. Removed the fuel pump from the tank, inspected and replaced, car started fine, and drove well for another couple of weeks. Previous owner was driving and realized he was low on diesel, so returned home and put in some red diesel, symptoms returned after a couple of miles.
The car would start, tick over, but would stall immediately driven.

What happens now is, the engine will crank but will not start. Spraying cold start in the air box and the engine will fire.
I have verified fuel arriving to the fuel filter in the engine bay, emptied the filter and primed. Fuel also arrives along the top of the injectors. I replaced the camshaft position sensor ( top of engine), reinspected the fuel pump inside the tank and checked for debris.
No check engine light, so no codes. Tachometer does move when cranking engine.
My next thoughts are to remove all red fuel and replace with quality fuel, and replace the crank position sensor.
Does anyone have any additional thoughts on additional steps?
Car is currently disabled in a small mountain village in the French Alps, so taking it to a mechanic or dealer is very difficult.

·
Registered
843 Posts
There was a similar question some time ago, but I cannot find the thread. Think it was on the SM forum.
The cranck sensor is somewhere in the middle hight at the rear of the engine. At the aircleaner side.
Never changed it so I do not know exactly.
But I think you need to unbolt and take out the airfilter housing for access.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
40 Posts
In my experience I can say that this defect in 2,2 l D engine usually causes a crankshaft sensor failure. During the manifestation of failure to measure up to the beginning of the resistance of the connector from the sensor (about 1 k ohms).

·
Registered
843 Posts
One item several times popped up on the forum with also mysterious concequences like stalling randomly was the fuel tank.
It seems the fuel tank inner lining / paint seems to flake off after many years, so clogging the in tank fuel pump filter. Obviously when the engine is running the pump pulls the particles and flakes onto the filter. When engine stalls and sitts for a while the particles/flakes could fall off again and "everything is ok".
So I would check the internals of the fuel tank, be it a bit of a hassle to get it out or opened to flush it and clean.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
843 Posts
Alexey:
Is the left hand picture of the cranck shaft sensor and the right hand picture of the cam shaft sensor? And is it of a 2.0 diesel?

Denicolo:
Also I cannot imagine the red diesel (agricultural diesel) could have an impact, although it seems that way because it occurred just after filling up with it. Maybe coincidence? It is simply the same diesel but dyed with red colour to indicate lower taxed diesel.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have this problem , I have a 2004 diesel santa fe , and the car keeps cutting out whilst driving , the power goes completely and all the engine lights come on , then it wont start again until ive come to a complete stop, took the keys out for a minute or two and then try to start it, ive had 2 different mechanics look at it, the first said it had an error code that flagged up the camshaft and crankshaft sensors, the second said its the ecu, and that there are no camshaft or crankshaft sensors on this model of car , this is confusing the **** out of me as im not a mechanic myself and the manuals ive been able to find dont seem to have the uk diesel version available for this car, anyone have any advice ?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi Dave,
What kind of mechanic tells you this car hasn't got a cranckshaft and camshaft sensor??
Of course it has. Or does he live in the pre-carcomputer age?
From the number of threads on the forum about them you can certainly assume it has them and some do breakdown or get compromised after several years.
There is a specific UK Hyundai owners club you might obtain manuals for this type, they are a bit hard to get otherwise. You could search the internet for the D4EA engine info.
Look up some previous threads here from UK owners where that club is mentioned.
The Santa with diesel engine is very little used in the US.
Good luck,
Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts