Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2012 Elantra here in Ottawa 2 1/2 months ago and the dealer says I need to bring it in for it's first oil change at 3 mths. The maint booklet says otherwise.
Is this really required and will my warranty be void if I don't do it at 3 mths?

Anyone else in a similar situation?

·
Registered
124 Posts
during my test drive, the sales guy said 5k miles for an oil change... ? Depends on your driving habits when you'd reach that. But in my experience, the 1st oil change is the most important because of the new parts of the engine getting into the oil (or something along those lines).

·
Registered
644 Posts
My sales guy told me 6000kms or 6 months whichever comes first, didn't make sense to me so I'm just gonna call service next month seeing as I've only had the car a month and only 1000kms on it. I definately don't want to void my warranty over something as stupid as an oil change too late, I'll let you know what service dept. says.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
be careful though! service location to location treats things differently. i did my change ~6400km and asked for synthetic, they put the sticker on to get my car serviced at 12400km. synthetic is known to last much longer, but i was kind of upset they didnt line things up on the sticker... but yes, warranty being voided is definitely a concern. i had a '06 Jetta and the synthetic oil changes allowed for up to 15000km of driving with no oil change, now i know its a completely different car, and i didnt even let it go over 10000km before changing the oil. but i think i would consistenty push this puppy to around 8k per change.

·
Registered
893 Posts
To maintain warranty, you only need to do as the OM recommends and can ignore the dealer if they recommend extra servicing.

It's a judgment call, but I'm a believer that doing an extra early oil change to rid the motor of break-in contaminants is probably a good idea. While not done for cars, it is still routinely done for nearly all motorcycles which indicates that there is still some technical merit to this strategy. I'm going to do one around 1K miles and do it myself, probably using Mobil 1 5W-20. But with modern engine/oils, it probably isn't necessary and whether it actually pays off in longer engine life is debatable. If my plans were to only keep a car for five-years or less, I would just do it by the book.

At least one mfg (Honda, but not Hyundai that I'm aware of) are now explicitly recommending against early oil changes. Some think that is because Honda is using a special "break in" oil that you need to leave in through the entire first oil change interval, but oil analysis of this first oil fill hasn't shown anything unusual about this oil other than higher moly content, probably due to the use of assembly lube. Others speculate that Honda is discouraging early oil changes to reduce warranty costs - a new owner who brings a car in with few miles is much more likely to complain about lots of little stuff that they won't care about later.

- Mark

·
Registered
537 Posts
I was told every 5k...to make it easy to remember, and no need to use synthetic. I may ignore that and go to synthetic...not sure. But every 5k seems reasonable.

D

·
0 Posts
Personally I would do the oil change at 1000km after the break in period. I've done that with all my new vehicles, as a precaution.
You can do what you like, take it in early or do the oil change as to what Hyundai's maintenance book recommends.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Living in Ottawa you should follow the "severe" maintenance schedule in your owner's manual, especially if you plan to keep the vehicle beyond the warranty period. But following the "normal" schedule won't really jeopardize your warranty; I would follow that if you're leasing or tend to trade frequently.

As a former car salesman, let me just say that 95% of car salesmen are not qualified to give maintenance advice. Hyundai printed an owner's manual for a reason. Use it. :57:

·
22,787 Posts
As a former car salesman, let me just say that 95% of car salesmen are not qualified to give maintenance advice. Hyundai printed an owner's manual for a reason. Use it. :57:
+1 Couldn't agree more.

·
22,787 Posts
My dealer was running a special when I bought my E: free filter/oil changes for the life of original owner. Their recommendation is every 3,750 miles. I'm okay with that if they want to do it for no charge. I'll "just say no" to their other little service special suggestions when I take it in.

·
Registered
850 Posts
If Im correct I did mine at 3000km. And now I do it ever 6000km.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like the consensus is to get the first one earlier than required and then start to follow the maintenance book. Good to know so I will go ahead and get this one done at 3mth mark.
I'm tempted to get the next one at the 6mth mark just to keep everything matching the maint log book especially since I got 20 free oil changes included in my deal.

Thanks to all for your great feed back!

·
22,787 Posts
The ONLY reason I'm doing mine every 3,750 is because the dealer will do it at no charge. I also am aware that this "free benefit" is an opportunity to "talk me into" allowing them to provide "other" services, for a nominal fee, of course. LOL

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dealer doing it at 3750 miles for free is good, but a bit insane. OM says 7500. My dealer says they'll do it for free every 5,000 because.....get this....wait for it.......

People in general have a hard time with the math at 7500, so the dealer relented to public pressure because our educational system kinda sucks.... :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Living in Ottawa you should follow the "severe" maintenance schedule in your owner's manual, especially if you plan to keep the vehicle beyond the warranty period. But following the "normal" schedule won't really jeopardize your warranty; I would follow that if you're leasing or tend to trade frequently.

I was wondering about the "severe" maint sched so is everyone else in Ontario at least also following the "severe"? Has anyone actually spoke to the dealership and had them confirm this is correct?

·
Registered
907 Posts
5k miles is easier to remember and calculate.

Also first oil change will have more wear metals in it, so it's good to get that changed at 3k miles or earlier. After that, 5k OCI is good, but make sure it's good oil and OEM filter.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I was wondering about the "severe" maint sched so is everyone else in Ontario at least also following the "severe"? Has anyone actually spoke to the dealership and had them confirm this is correct?
Most dealers will say to use the severe schedule up here, on the basis of our extreme weather alone. Engine oil does get contaminated more quickly when engines run rich on those cold winter mornings. It's even worse if your driving tends to be short, stop-and-go city trips.

I fudge the two schedules, depending on how important I think the maintenance item is for future durability and warranty claims. Because I'm using synthetic motor oil (for better cold-weather starts), and am only driving about 10,000 km per year, I change my oil only twice a year; every spring and fall. But others might change it 3 or 4 times.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Most dealers will say to use the severe schedule up here, on the basis of our extreme weather alone. Engine oil does get contaminated more quickly when engines run rich on those cold winter mornings. It's even worse if your driving tends to be short, stop-and-go city trips.

I fudge the two schedules, depending on how important I think the maintenance item is for future durability and warranty claims. Because I'm using synthetic motor oil (for better cold-weather starts), and am only driving about 10,000 km per year, I change my oil only twice a year; every spring and fall. But others might change it 3 or 4 times.
Good info Don67, thanks for the replies!

On another note, I have a buddy who is a mechanic at another brand dealership, if he does maint work for me (no charge/no work order) how would this affect my warranty if something ever did happen? Of course I would have a receipt for any parts replaced but only that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts