Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did the first oil change(1k miles) of my 2018 Hyundai SFS 2.4 AWD Premium.

With the lengthy thread of the Engine recall, I figure I would cut the filter open, and see.

I didn't find any metallic debris on the filter media, nor in the can. Nothing in the oil drain pan too. Well, nothing large enough for me to see. Microscopic metallic debris, maybe... we will see after I send it for oil analysis.

For now, it seems Hyundai may have addressed the debris issue on newer builds.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that was the actual problem. Read this quote by 69Torino, Kia Master Elite Tech:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4654632/4

So what oil and filter did you go with?
I think it's better to put the complete sentence...

"It has been hypothesized among factory training center instructors and several Kia Master Techs (myself included), the problem is that selective size connecting rod bearings are used in these engines and the wrong size (thickness) were selected at assembly."

The keyword there is hypothesized. While I respect their experiences... I tend to give more weight on Hyundai engine Engineers. Anyways, I don't want this to turn into another Engine Recall thread. There is already a thread for that.

I used Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and Hyundai/Kia filter. I have a few extra left over filters(bought 6 pack) for my Sonata.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Thanks! I used Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 last summer with OEM filter. Worked well. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks great! Those Hyundia filters are really well built.

I would, however, start using something like a Fram ultra XG9688. They offer much better filtering ( 99.9% at 20 microns first pass, and 50% at 5 microns) without really cutting down on flow rate or providing more restriction. I've read that those Hyundai filters are rather poor at filtering (80% at 50 microns).

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Quote:
the problem is that selective size connecting rod bearings are used in these engines and the wrong size (thickness) were selected at assembly.

You would get noise and engine failure a lot quicker if that was the actual case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where you read that? Anyways, too many threads on this, so let's not start another. THX

Over on Bobistheoilguy. The Hyundai filter is constructed very well, but its cellulose medium is rather basic. A filter with synthetic fibers using depth filtration will offer much better filtration and flow.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I like that fact filb14 is going through the extra steps to confirm the filter is OK and with oil analysis provide more data.

Hopefully Hyundai's mistakes, whatever they were are a thing of the past regarding engine issues. So I will follow this thread in anticipation of good news.

If you want more detail on OEM and Fram filters the resident person with experience in the industry (deadrx7conv) cut up an OEM filter with commentary here:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/yf-2011-sonata-i45/618354-oe-filter-cut-open-26300-35504-a-2.html

In the second half of thread I posted Fram XG9688 info if you want links to the data source at BITOG.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like that fact filb14 is going through the extra steps to confirm the filter is OK and with oil analysis provide more data.

Hopefully Hyundai's mistakes, whatever they were are a thing of the past regarding engine issues. So I will follow this thread in anticipation of good news.
Sample has been sent to Blackstone labs already. Hopefully it gets there soon, and they process it quick.

I plan on doing 3-4 analysis to get a baseline on how it is/will be doing.

Reactions: NDSE

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oil Analysis report came back.... I couldn't believe USPS took over a month to deliver my sample to Blackstone.

"Congrats on the new Hyundai. The excess metal and silicon you see are normal for a new
engine, and just show metal and silicone sealer material built up from the break-in process. This oil has
been changed, so things will start to look better for you next time. Pretty soon the engine will look similar to
universal averages, which show typical wear for these 2.4L engines on oil run close to 5,300 miles.
Viscosity is in the 0W/20 or 5W/20 range, and only a harmless trace of fuel dilution is present. No
complaints from us in this report. Just check back for progress.

For those interested with the numbers, I attached a redacted copy of the report.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts