Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just signed up and here is my first post I have a '99 X3 Excel and I am trying to change fuel filter I know a simple tak to most but I have tried everything I know to try and undo the bottom pipe on the filter, it is so tight I cant move it at all the the filter clamp turns when trying to undo and I have tried chock it up with a piece of timber to stop the whole thing turning but still cannot undo it. If you know where it is there isn't much room to play with it, has AC pipes and other things in the area make a good grip on the spanner to turn it nearly impossible. I looked and you don't seem to have any more room from attacking it from under the vehicle.
But "PLEASE" if you have a sneaky way of doing it let me know I am desparate to get it changed as it is still the original and the car has power loss and missing when climbing a hill but then on the flats it is fine I checked the plugs and leads seem fine nothing that jumps out at me and I am reasonably mechanically minded this is the first thing on the car that has really stumped me.
So come on folks fire those suggestions at me I need this changed as it is my work car and I need it running.
Thanks guys for Looking if you do and a really big thanks if you give me an idea how to get it off.
Thanks
Daz

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
fuel filter...

No magic bullets that I found mate. I have a 2000 and the filter is at the pump under the seat. Not seeing yours which I believe is in the engine compartment doesn't help here. From what I see on diagrams the nut is underneath/bottom of the filter correct? If you had an "L" shaped wrench/socket type extension that fit a ratchet wrench, could you then grab the filter with channel locks and get it loose? I can see the tool in my mind. Here is something I found at Sears online. Would something like this work? Astro Pneumatic Astro Pneumatic 7118 Double Offset Flexible Flare Nut Wrench Set - 6 Piece or this Great Neck Great Neck OEM 25519 SAE Flex Crow Foot Socket Set, 12-Piece I couldn't find what my mind thought up but something like a distributor wrench with a flare fitting on it? Cobra Prod. Telescoping Basin Wrench No part numbers but a search on sears.com should find these and more.

I don't know if I helped or not but maybe some ideas will come from it. Let us know how you make out with a picture or two. Upload a picture if you can. This will give us a visual. Good luck mate!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
If you filter is like mine, it is securely fastened to the body by a bracket. The solution to me is to not remove the bracket before you remove the lines, i.e. remove the lines first as the bracket holds the filter whilst I turn the nut on the line, making a nightmare job easy for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi folks from Downunder I appreciate both replies and I will be looking into the flair nut set here at my tool shop all ideas are very helpful whether they do work or they don't everyone has a different outlook to things and maybe just one of their ideas might just work or could easily send you on a different path to another idea.
Please accept my thanks for both replies himilcyclr and jsinton I will let you know how if I master the filter or not. Even though the filter is attached to the bracket soon as you try to turn the nut if you can get on it the whole bracket and filter turn and twist on the firewall which isn't that strong really and you just don't really have the room down there to get a good purchase on the nut and to try and turn it. But lets see how I go I just refuse to let thing beat me especially a crappy 14mm nut it wont win this means war!!!!!!
Regards
Daz

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did this get solved?

Hi guys, I've been trying to change the filter on my girlfriend's car and it is near impossible. Did anybody ever figure out a clever plan of attack to get it off? I've been doing what I assume was the same bumbling about in the engine bay as everyone else seems to be...

·
Registered
12 Posts
For starters, take out intake tubing from filter top to intake for some more room. You can fit a crescent wrench to the bracket on the top of the filter that holds the outgoing fuel line. That will stop the filter from turning. When I did mine, the fuel in line was rusted to the bottom nut and I didn't catch it before I twisted the line shut.

Mini tubing cutter, cut line past the twisted part. Get some 5/16" fuel line (can get stuff meant for high pressure fuel injection systems at auto parts stores) some hose clamps, and some new metal line to replace the bit rusted into the nut. I think I used brake line that was probably 5/16" as well, cut in half with tubing cutter and reuse stock nut, did it about 7 years ago so... With enough extra fuel line I did a 270° loop ie line comes out horizontally, goes down and then back towards drivers side then up into the filter. Used two clamps per side as well. That was in 2008 and 130,000 miles ago work no issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts