Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I ran into a problem way back in October and am just now getting around to fixing it. After the first cold night back in October here in Indiana, the next day my windows would not roll down. The window lock switch is not on and neither button at any door will roll down their respective windows, including the buttons on the driver side panel. I removed the driver side door panel and tested the pins corresponding to the window buttons and none of them were receiving any voltage. The power mirrors also receive no voltage and haven't worked from the beginning of my ownership. Also, the door locks work but randomly lock and unlock while the car is turned on. I tested their voltage and it was fluctuating which didn't seem normal. My main concern right now is the windows. What is going on? The fuse looks good, all the buttons have their relay clicks, there is just no power getting to the buttons.

TLDR; None of the buttons controlling the power windows receive voltage and therefore do not work. Fuse is good. What's the problem?

Thanks
-deCycles

·
Registered
242 Posts
If not a fuse or relay, so far it has been my experience (other brand cars so far) that when all windows cease to function, it is usually the master switch unit in the driver door that is at fault. The individual door switches usually get their power from the front.

First thing is to determine if you are getting power to the master switch. If not, could be fuse/relay or open circuit to the door. Second thing is whether the motors work? That covers electrical problems. Now it is also possible that the mechanical window lowering unit has snapped a plastic lever so cannot work the window even if the motor operates. Either way you must remove the interior door panels to fully check either, so start with the driver door.

You can test individual window motors by making a long pair of jumper wires with alligator clips on both ends and feed the two wires to each motor directly from the battery. Should disconnect the negative battery cable first so not to accidentally make a short. If you cannot clip directly onto the motor leads you can insert straight pins thru the wires and connect to the pins. Reverse the leads at the battery and window reverses direction. If motors all work both directions it has to be switches.

Electrically, I have had to replace several master switch units - ebay or junk yard is cheapest source. Never had to replace individual door switch yet - even if only one door window failed to work, problem tracked to the master panel. Mechanically I have had to replace only one mechanism, but my granddaughter did have to do this to my 2002 Sonata which she has at college.

Window mechanisms are about $35 each, and master switches run about $50, depending where you shop. And I find the jumper cables I built very useful for other tasks. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts