Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1999 elantra, with 225000miles. the people before me weren't big car nuts and general thing were wrong, broken window motor, bad blower resistor ect. All easy to fix problems, exept the more ive drove it ive noticed these symptoms. 1. When starting i have to stand on the clutch to start it. 2 its grinds intermittently putting it in first or in reverse. 3 when coming to a stop in neutral, the engine revs from about 1200 to 1900 repeatedly until i stop then it idles normally. 4 it has valve click, but i attributed this to the high milage but i figured it couldnt hurt to add it. And Im not sure if number three is from the clutch, but i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the possible cause of these symptoms. Thanks in advance to any help

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,330 Posts
1. When starting i have to stand on the clutch to start it.
That's normal for Hyundai cars from that era. There's a starter inhibitor switch on the clutch pedal so it won't crank until you press in the clutch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm used to pressing the clutch but is it normally farther than needed to shift your gears with hyundai? Because my girl, who had no problem starting our f150 or ram, can't get to start easily

1 - 3 of 3 Posts