Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some anti-freeze leaking from somewhere near the water pump so figure it's time to replace it (1998 Accent). It looks like the pump is buried under a mass of accessories on the side of the engine. On this car, the power steering pump is mounted right over where the inlet to the pump housing is fitted - but I can't see how all this is connected because the PS bracket is right on top of where this connection is made. Once I get the accessories off the engine and remove the timing belt and water pump bolts, will the pump just pull off or do I need to disconnect something where the inlet from the radiator connects to the pump? The only clue is that there is an "O" ring referenced in this area. I'm suspecting that the pump merely pushes on to the pipe coming from the radiator behind the engine block but this is a guess. Is this a push fit with the "O" ring forming the seal or is there some sort of clamp I will have to deal with first? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
the belts have to come off for sure, as well as any accessories in the way. use your judgement there. i believe the engine mount has to be removed on that side, but that's not hard since its on top of the engine. the lower ones should keep the engine in place and supported just fine.

the water pump is behind the timing belt. you will have to remove that and resinstall. if you have never done the timing belt and plant to keep this car, this would be the time to do it! i usually do the water pump with the belt to avoid this job later, but not everyone likes that idea. if you do the belt i recommend getting the kit and replacing the bearing pullies.

you will need a torque wrench and proper specs. you're pulling off a mount, this is a safety/structural item. don't guess at it.

other than that, this job is rather straight forward. if you decide to replace the belt you'll have to pull the main crank pulley. its not hard with an impact gun to take the nut off.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input but what about the water pump question - does the water pump "press fit" over the pipe on the back side of the engine that comes from the radiator or is there some kind of hose clamp that I will have to deal with?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anybody? I'm going to remove the water pump this afternoon but could use some input on how it's connected to the cooling system on the back side of the engine (1998 accent). Can't see what's going on with the Power steering pump and bracket located right over the top of the water pump extension. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
sorry, been away without a computer. if my memory serves me right....and rarely does...there's a small 90º piece of hose on the pump with a clamp. its not a problem to deal with.

i also have not worked on an x3 in a few years now

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just for the record, I got to the point of removing the water pump. There is no clamp on the 90 degree bend of the WP housing which connects to a pipe behind the engine which eventually goes to the radiator. It just slips off the pipe - there is an O ring which seals the two together when the WP fitting is slipped over the pipe. However the extension part on the new WP that has a core plug in it may interfere with the bottom of the PS bracket which is right over the top of this extension. I noticed that the original WP has a tapered edge on top and bottom of this otherwise circular extension - probably so that it won't interfere with the PS bracket. I will most likely have to grind a taper on the top of this end to make sure it just slips in. Will post an update when done (for future reference).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Completed water pump install. Not a hard job once everything is removed. Also, the taper I put on the top of the extension seemed to be necessary to not interfere with the bottom to the PS bracket. It turns out I didn't need the pump after all - when I to to the point of point of removing the 4 bolts, one I could turn/remove with my fingers and the other 3 required very little if any effort to loosen them. SO that's why it was leaking. I put the new pump on anyways since I got that far and the car has 104K miles on it. So now I have a spare.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
good call :) sounds like this went well for you. i would have done the same, i will usually buy the part before disassembly to save time. if i don't use it, i just take it back.

if that is a problem that comes back one day, you can always use some threadlocker on the bolts. blue should be plenty strong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts