Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't seem to keep the valve cover gasket leak free for more than 10 - 15K miles. This is going to be my third replacement in a 3 year time frame. I'm guessing that the rubber shrinks over time and those metal cylindrical sleeves in the valve cover prevent tightening beyond a certain limit. I can understand this is so that the gasket doesn't get overtightened but over time they seem to become more of a hindrance than a solution. I just got a FelPro blue rubber gasket I'll be putting on tomorrow. I'm assuming it should go on dry but asking if any RTV should be used maybe at the corners where the gasket makes 90 degree angles going over the cam bearing housings. Has anyone tried the FelPro gasket and got good results? Any other tips? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Yes, RTV on the corners or it will leak.
The new gasket should have the half moons and the spark plug hole O rings
A little RTV is required on the corners, turns
Well, that is what I learned from doing my valve cover gasket (twice).

Oh, check the valve cover for flatness and how it will mate to head
If the valve cover is bent then this can also cause leaks

Good luck

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
I can't seem to keep the valve cover gasket leak free for more than 10 - 15K miles. This is going to be my third replacement in a 3 year time frame. I'm guessing that the rubber shrinks over time and those metal cylindrical sleeves in the valve cover prevent tightening beyond a certain limit. I can understand this is so that the gasket doesn't get overtightened but over time they seem to become more of a hindrance than a solution. I just got a FelPro blue rubber gasket I'll be putting on tomorrow. I'm assuming it should go on dry but asking if any RTV should be used maybe at the corners where the gasket makes 90 degree angles going over the cam bearing housings. Has anyone tried the FelPro gasket and got good results? Any other tips? Thanks.
Valve cover info attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok gasket on. The FelPro blue gasket is about 1/16" thicker than the one that came off so that difference did allow torquing the bolts enough to seal but not bottoming out on those metal sleeves that prevent further tightening. So this gasket looks like it might last longer. We shall see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts