Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...I purchased my elantra wagon in 1998, after my Hyundai Excel died and went to car heaven...LOL.

anyway, it seems like in the past year (after warranty expired) I've had a few probems, I had to replace my tranny last year, which set me back a pretty penny.

Just a few days ago (Friday, May 26/06), I went downtown for a meeting. Was there for about 2 hours. Went out to start my car, put the key in the ignition and *silence*...no sound except for the turning of my key. all lights on the panel flashed on while I turned the key, but there was absolutely no sound from my engine. I tried to boost it, no avail. I got a ride to my hubby's work, then we went back about an hour after I left the car where it was parked. I got in to show him that it wouldn't start at all, and *VOILA* the dang thing started up, like it hadn't a problem earlier. I felt silly!

I drove around all day Saturday, doing errands and such, no problem. Later on that same evening, my son and I went to go get some videos. Returned to car, same thing...key in, total silence. Grabbed a cab home, hubby grabbed bike the next morning with tools in backpack, biked to the video place and when he got in the car to start it, my elantra acted like it had no issues starting at all...

I just purchased a new battery a couple months ago, so I do not think that is the problem.

Hubby thinks there is a short somewhere, and it might be the celliod? Has anyone else had a similar problems?

email me at [email protected]

Thanks... :liebe011:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
check the battery terminal for cleanlyness;
check and clean the ground wire to the body (it's close to the battery), and the engine

·
Registered
5 Posts
I owned a 95 Sonata before i got my elantra,I had the same problem, it was the starter motor, the solnoids needed replacing, was not to expensive but it worked> Hope that helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello...I purchased my elantra wagon in 1998, after my Hyundai Excel died and went to car heaven...LOL.

anyway, it seems like in the past year (after warranty expired) I've had a few probems, I had to replace my tranny last year, which set me back a pretty penny.

Just a few days ago (Friday, May 26/06), I went downtown for a meeting. Was there for about 2 hours. Went out to start my car, put the key in the ignition and silence...no sound except for the turning of my key. all lights on the panel flashed on while I turned the key, but there was absolutely no sound from my engine. I tried to boost it, no avail. I got a ride to my hubby's work, then we went back about an hour after I left the car where it was parked. I got in to show him that it wouldn't start at all, and VOILA the dang thing started up, like it hadn't a problem earlier. I felt silly!

I drove around all day Saturday, doing errands and such, no problem. Later on that same evening, my son and I went to go get some videos. Returned to car, same thing...key in, total silence. Grabbed a cab home, hubby grabbed bike the next morning with tools in backpack, biked to the video place and when he got in the car to start it, my elantra acted like it had no issues starting at all...

I just purchased a new battery a couple months ago, so I do not think that is the problem.

Hubby thinks there is a short somewhere, and it might be the celliod? Has anyone else had a similar problems?

email me at [email protected]

Thanks... :liebe011:
It could be a loose battery connection or ground strap. Clean the terminals and check for breaks in the wire. After that put di-electric grease on terminals at battery. Make sure everything is tight. If it moves it’s not a good connection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts