Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 accent that will only start when boosted. Replaced the battery, starter, alternator, and cable from battery to starter. Still won't start. The interior lights come on but when you turn the key, nothing. Not even a slow turn over. Becoming very frustrated? Any ideas?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Does it stay running after the boost? If so, measure the voltage across the battery terminals to make sure it is being charged (should be in the 13-14 volt range). If everything is okay and the starter turns over normally with a boost then I'm stumped. Another thought is the neutral safety switch is intermittent in the park position (assuming its an automatic). Try starting in neutral or jiggling the the shift lever while in park while trying to start. I'm guessing here but worth a try. This doesn't explain why it would start with a jump but who knows ...

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
start with the basics. test the battery, its probably low. what the test will show is if the battery is the fault or your charging system (probably alternator or the rectifier bridge).

you can forget things like neutral start switches. if you're starting with a boost, either the battery is toast or its not being charged. the only other possibility is if there is something that is staying on (bad switch or relay) and is draining the battery while it is parked.

any time frame for the car not starting?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts