Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have previously posted this question and only one kind perso has responded (thanks Gordo). I am hoping that others may have some imput. If you have experienced this problem or know of any solutions to the same, please respond. I bought a 1997 Tiburon, automatic. It runs beautifully for about 15 minutes and then it starts to shift in and out of gear and jerking as it does so. It will shift three or four times in a row. I took it to my regular guy and he said it was a transmission problem and sent me to a transmission place. That guy replaced the heat sensor for almost $150 and it is still doing the same thing. The transmission guy says it's not a transmissio problem and sent me to another guy. He drove it and said it acted fine so I drove it the 15 minutes required to make it go into it's "act" and then took it to him. He drove it and came back and said it was the transmission because it was definetly slipping. I called another place to set up an appointment and when I told him what it was doing he said it wasn't the transmissio because it would't take "warm up" time before it messed up, it would just mess up all the time. As you can see no one seems to be willing to help me. I am not certain if people don't like to work on these cars or if they can tell I don't have big bucks to spend or what. Has anyone else's Tiburon done this? Does anyone have any idea what I should do? I have never been so frustrated in my life and the bad part is I LOVE THIS CAR. It's so beautiful and I can't afford to just fix things until they locate the trouble. PLease, if you know anything that might help me, please respond.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by Margie@Oct 12 2004, 07:36 PM
I have previously posted this question and only one kind perso has responded (thanks Gordo).  I am hoping that others may have some imput.  If you have experienced this problem or know of any solutions to the same, please respond.  I bought a 1997 Tiburon, automatic.  It runs beautifully for about 15 minutes and then it starts to shift in and out of gear and jerking as it does so.  It will shift three or four times in a row.  I took it to my regular guy and he said it was a transmission problem and sent me to a transmission place.  That guy replaced the heat sensor for almost $150 and it is still doing the same thing.  The transmission guy says it's not a transmissio problem and sent me to another guy.  He drove it and said it acted fine so I drove it the 15 minutes required to make it go into it's "act" and then took it to him.  He drove it and came back and said it was the transmission because it was definetly slipping.  I called another place to set up an appointment and when I told him what it was doing he said it wasn't the transmissio because it would't take "warm up" time before it messed up, it would just mess up all the time.  As you can see no one seems to be willing to help me.  I am not certain if people don't like to work on these cars or if they can tell I don't have big bucks to spend or what.  Has anyone else's Tiburon done this?  Does anyone have any idea what I should do?  I have never been so frustrated in my life and the bad part is I LOVE THIS CAR.  It's so beautiful and I can't afford to just fix things until they locate the trouble.  PLease, if you know anything that might help me, please respond.
[snapback]1694[/snapback]​

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just to let you know that you are not the only one. I have a 99 that does the same thing. I haven't figured it out but I have been told that it is possibly a ground problem Have your mechanic look for a bad ground connection.

·
Registered
422 Posts
If it is as bad as you describe it, then you are only creating more damage to your transmission by driving it.

What you need, to do is to take it to your Hyundai dealer mechanic and have them put the Hi Scan onto the vehicle and check for trouble codes. I am positive that it will have more than one. So what you may need to do is to take it to them, have them check and list down the codes.
Then take the car out for 15 mins again until it buggers up and then take it straight back and get them to code check again.

They should be able to determine your problem area and stop you from wasting anymore time and money.

Is there anyway that you can send me a picture of your car?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts