Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am having problems with my 1997 Lantra sedan,which I recently acquired, it idles roughly but no change in the revs, and really labours when pulling away at lights and from stop. Also labours up hills. Occsionally backfires. When I hit over 50kms it runs fine and on the freeway it cruises along fine. Seems to be going through alot of fuel and smells rich. I think it might be the maifold valve. Please can anyone help me don't know where to start...............................

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
welcome to the forums lisa :00000732:

l am moving your post over to the lantra forum for a better response

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hello Lisa.

One of the more difficult things about buying a second hand vehicle is not being sure as to when or how diligently maintenance was carried out.

Here is what I recommend to you. If you have a handy partner or trusted mechanic, then so much the better.

Firstly, you need to be comfortable in your own mind that the vehicle has had all necessary maintenance done at least once by you.

Basics.
1. Ensure your tyres are in good order and properly pumped up (32 psi). If your tyres need replacing buy decent ones, not cheap no name rubbish even if you have to buy 2 at a time, front tyres first. Get a 4 wheel alignment done ($80). Any suspension issues will be highlighted. Fix them.

2. Have the brakes checked, adjusted and if you've got high mileage, it's a fair bet your brake fluid has never been replaced. Do that as well.

3. Change the oil(Shell Helix $35), oil filter($9), fuel filter($?), air filter($20?), spark plugs($40) and spark plug leads($100).

Doing all the above will give you greater confidence in your vehicle. You will be probably quite astounded at the change in behaviour of the car.

It will also give you a reference point to start from when it comes to future maintenance.

Invest about $300 odd dollars and gain greater value than that in peace of mind.

With your best interests at heart.

Cheers,

Andrew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts