1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 97 Excel 1.5L SOHC.

THE BATTERY WAS NEVER TAKEN OFF POWER!
What could have shorted out?

I changed the Water pump today and this is what happened.. i have provided you with the steps I used to get the pump out to see if I did anything wrong.

When you try and start the car it does nothing, the ignition realizes it should turn over but can't. The battery is new so that can't be the problem, Apparently according to my dad its not the starter motor because it tries to turn over the tinniest bit but is really slow (as if the battery were flat). Thats all i have tested so far, all the fuses are in working order!

Looked up some stuff and people are suggesting it be the crank angle sensor but we didn't touch that at all? Could the timing be out? Could it be the coolant temp sensor? What could it be?!

Today I changed the water pump this is how I did it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Removed the engine mount.

Lifted the engine.

Moved the alternator so we could get the belts off.

Moved the power steering pump so i could get the belts off.

Took the AC belt off as well.

Took the belts and water pump pulley off.

Removed the timing belt cover. (top part) (couldn't remove the bottom cover so we maneuvered around it)

Because i couldn't get it off(the cover)i investigated and realized it was looped around the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer so I tried taking it off (with the belts off) it just spun (tried both ways counter clockwise and clockwise) - Timing belt never came off so I don't think that is the problem.

Moving in and around the cover we got the water pump out and back in with a new gasket.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

now for how we put it back on.

Water pump bolts back in.

Moved the cover back over and bolted it back in place.

Put the power steering belt back on. (original place - May be too tight?)

Put the alternator/water pump belt back on. (original place - May be too tight?)

AC belt back on.

Dropped the engine.

Put the engine mount back in.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So could anyone please help me!
I am selling the car and had someone coming to pick it up in the next two days! so I need a fix asap!

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! <3 PLBS

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 97 Excel 1.5L SOHC.

THE BATTERY WAS NEVER TAKEN OFF POWER!
What could have shorted out?

I changed the Water pump today and this is what happened.. i have provided you with the steps I used to get the pump out to see if I did anything wrong.

When you try and start the car it does nothing, the ignition realizes it should turn over but can't. The battery is new so that can't be the problem, Apparently according to my dad its not the starter motor because it tries to turn over the tinniest bit but is really slow (as if the battery were flat). Thats all i have tested so far, all the fuses are in working order!

Looked up some stuff and people are suggesting it be the crank angle sensor but we didn't touch that at all? Could the timing be out? Could it be the coolant temp sensor? What could it be?!

Today I changed the water pump this is how I did it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Removed the engine mount.

Lifted the engine.

Moved the alternator so we could get the belts off.

Moved the power steering pump so i could get the belts off.

Took the AC belt off as well.

Took the belts and water pump pulley off.

Removed the timing belt cover. (top part) (couldn't remove the bottom cover so we maneuvered around it)

Because i couldn't get it off(the cover)i investigated and realized it was looped around the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer so I tried taking it off (with the belts off) it just spun (tried both ways counter clockwise and clockwise) - Timing belt never came off so I don't think that is the problem.

Moving in and around the cover we got the water pump out and back in with a new gasket.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

now for how we put it back on.

Water pump bolts back in.

Moved the cover back over and bolted it back in place.

Put the power steering belt back on. (original place - May be too tight?)

Put the alternator/water pump belt back on. (original place - May be too tight?)

AC belt back on.

Dropped the engine.

Put the engine mount back in.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So could anyone please help me!
I am selling the car and had someone coming to pick it up in the next two days! so I need a fix asap!

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! <3 PLBS
I know you said you just replace the battery. However, at the present time, it is just about dead. Therefore, you will need to find out what is drawing the charge from it. Start with the battery connectors. They maybe corroded. Finally, it maybe a bad alternator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts