Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the forum. Have owned a 1997 Elantra wagon for 5 years, 140K miles and have been trying to troubleshoot valve noise. I replaced the cam chain while doing the timing belt. The chain didn't appear worn, but I saw the TSB on hyundai's service page. The next step appears to be to determine if the hydraulic lash adjusters or oil pressure are/is at fault. I'd be interested in putting an oil pressure gauge in the car. Can anyone recommend?
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
It sounds like with the milage on the Car that the HLA's need to be taken out and cleaned.

Best way to do that is to Soak them in ATF (Automatic Tranny Fuild), that is good at dissolving all the oil varnish that can build up inside and cause them to tick.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
at 140K miles, some lifters might be gone, and can't be cleaned. the only way to check them, is to remove the cams and with a finger push on to of the lifter. the one you feel a slight spongyness, is the noisy one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just in the valve train area this weekend and checked the HLA's. All but 4 were spongy. My dealer said they're $15.00/piece *16= $190.00 and a 5 day delivery time; and I'm still not sure that it's not lifters, nor low oil pressure contributing to the noise. It doesn't bother my wife who drives it daily. I'm buttoning it back up and will look to do an engine swap when the time comes.
Thanks again for all the help.
Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts