Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new here and I was wondering if you could help me please? I'm at a standstill and really thinking of towing my car to the Dealer.

I have a 1997 Hyundai Elantra that does not start. It's my winter car and has started on the driveway most of the summer until about mid August. The car cranks and sounds like it's going to start but does not. I pulled each wire to check for spark which it has. I had it towed to my mechanic to diagnose and he concluded that it was the Fuel pump. He said he was able to get it running another way....I think he did it by attaching a portable fuel tank which you apply airline pressure to and he said it ran fine. So since he wanted over $500 to replace the Fuel Pump, I decided to have it towed home and I replaced the pump myself with a OEM Hyundai pump ($153.00). Well, the car still does not start. I just replaced the Fuel Filter yesterday (also a Hyundai part) thinking that it could be clogged and still no luck.

Here is some background and some parts that I recently replaced myself (Hyundai parts again) because of a really bad rough idle and blowing smoke problem I had in March this year:

Ignition Coil
Ignition Wires
Spark Plugs

At the time this did not solve my problem and I had it towed as it was really sluggish to drive and no power. My mechanic found a problem with the ECM which caused the #3 Fuel Injector to short out. Once these parts were replaced, it fixed my problem and the car ran beautifully. So, I doubt any of these parts are causing my no start issue unless my new Fuel Pump which I just replaced is faulty? There is pressure in the line as I had my mom crank the car when the filter was off.

I'm really desperate now as I have to get this car going and my summer car stored so, any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hi, don't know if this will help but these cars do not like being started up from cold and not run for a decent time. If you just start up and switch off after a short time (< 3minutes) it won't start again. I have found this out the hard way and also from other posters. The car seems to go into some funny mode where it just floods the engine with fuel. It took my a long time to get it started and the only way was to have my foot on the floor with the gas pedal and keep cranking until it caught; took two batteries worth of cranking to get it firing again; then loads of smoke; then fine. Now I make sure I never run the engine from cold for anything less than 3 minutes plus I rev it up and I have had no further problems with starting.

I just noticed you said you had started it on the drive over the summer; so maybe you only ran it for a minute?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for your response. Actually I never had a problem starting this car....it's been great since the day I bought it (Nov. 07'). Even with the fuel injector and ECM problem I had in March this year, she started right up without any problems. The car has been sitting on the driveway since May this year. I started it once every one to two weeks without any problems and I would let it run approx. 15 min. It started at the end of July before I left to Florida then when I got back on the second week of August it did not start and hasn't started at all. I don't know what else to check...I see other posts where people are checking/replacing fuel pump relays and crankshaft position sensors but I don't know if any of that applies in this case. Seems like a mystery to me especially after replacing all those parts.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello everyone,

Ok I just got a call today from the Hyundai dealer and they told me that 3 of my fuel injectors are not injecting fuel into the intake....just the one that I replaced earlier this year is working. How can all 3 just stop working? Is there something else that could have caused this? Could they be wrong? I don't want to have to tow it again, replace them at home, then find out it still doesn't start. I found some used ones on eBay for $25US.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
626 Posts
Maybe your question is best addressed to the Hyundai dealer. I do not see how three injectors can go either. I expect they are just reading fault codes. Can you hear the injectors clicking as the engine rotates? You can get something called a Noid light (I think ) and plug it into the loom instead of the injector. This should flash as the engine rotates indicating that the injector is receiving signal from the car's computer OK. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After I found out what the problem was, I went over to the dealer. I was with the technician when he tried starting the car with the injectors upside down but still connected to the fuel rail. Only the one injector I had replaced early this year was spraying fuel. The technician did say that everything else checked out ok (spark was good, timing was good, no fault codes, ECM was good). But when I asked them how this could have happened or if they connected a noid light to each harness, they never could really give me a straight answer. The technician did say that the injectors had weak clicking or none at all. Since they wanted way too much to replace them, I decided to just pay them the $100 diagnosing fee and tow it home. This past Monday I borrowed a buddy's noid light and checked each connector and they all tested good. I replaced the 3 injectors yesterday with re-manufactured ones that cost me $62 each. So, the car is now running nice and smooth and I hope I don't have anymore problems! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Glad it's working :thumbsup: and thanks for posting the outcome (too many posts are just left without hearing the end of the story !)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts