Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I recently purchased a 1997 Accent 1.5 SOHC, 5 speed manual with 130,000 miles. Well, it was puffing blue smoke out of the tail pipe and the inside of the tail pipe was caked in oil. I got a used engine from a 1998 and will soon be swapping it in the car. Not knowing the history on the new (used) engine I replaced the timing belt and tensioner, and water pump. I will also be putting on new intake gaskets, thermostat, valve cover gasket, flywheel and clutch. Is there anything else in particular with these engines I need to watch out for?

The exhaust seems to be another issue. whoever had the car before me decided to put a header on the car and the catalytic converter is gone. The new engine came with the exhaust manifold that has the 5 stud end on it (looks like a crown). So far the only catalytic converter I can find that is that style is a magnaflow which is quite expensive. Does anyone know of a cheaper new one or somewhere that will sell one used?

Lastly, will swapping the engine cause any computer problems or need anything reset? no electronics are being swapped. Just the engine from the 1998 into my 1997.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts