Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car engine suddenly cut out while travelling. Got someone to tow me back home. On checking found that there is no spark at plugs,and no fuel delivery to injector rail....Have checked fuses under hood and inside car. all fuses are fine. Any suggestions please?? Most appreciated

Hyundai Accent 1500 1995 model 12 Valve:frown:

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,283 Posts
Hello again Sparky. I think I offered some suggestions the last time you were having problems.

The first thing to check with this fault is that the engine check light illuminates when you switch the ignition on. And since you've already confirmed that the ignition coils aren't producing a spark it would be a good idea to check the power supply to the coils.

I'd also suggest checking that there's power being supplied to the fuel injectors. If you look at the injector connectors on the engine you'll probably notice that there's a wire on each one that's the same colour. The wire that's common to each injector is the power supply wire. Disconnect one of the injectors and check that you have 12V on the power supply wire with the ignition switched on.

The other thing to check is the power supply to the idle control actuator, located just above the injectors, I think. The center terminal of the actuator harness connector should also have 12V with the ignition on.

If your check light illuminates and your power supplies are all OK, I think that would make the crankshaft position sensor the most likely cause of the non start.

I hope those suggestions help you trace the fault.
Scott.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the response..Yes you did help me July 2016..and all has been fine since.

I was travelling up a hill when the engine just died earlier today will not start etc as in my previous post.

I will go check,, not much daylight left, it is just on 6PM, but still a hour or so daylight left

Will report back a bit later

Thanks again for the response

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Scott,
This is what I have done thus far.
Removed plugs from injectors..Found white with blue tracer common to all 4 plugs..Using test light one end to battery negative,other end to white and blue wires...Test light comes on..feed Okay.
There is no feed on the other wires.

There is power on feed to coil...There is power on feed to cam sensor
I have not yet checked crank sensor.

Should there be feed on both wires on injector plugs??

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
When was the timing belt replaced last?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,577 Posts
When I see there is crank, no spark and no fuel pressure or injector pulse, I suspect the crankshaft sensor.
Just a guess.

·
Registered
15,283 Posts
Should there be feed on both wires on injector plugs??
No, not when the harness connector is unplugged.

Old's Cool said:
When was the timing belt replaced last?
Fingers crossed it's not that :surprise:
He seemed to suggest the fuel pump wasn't running so a snapped belt seems unlikely....but worth a look.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
No, not when the harness connector is unplugged.

Fingers crossed it's not that :surprise:
He seemed to suggest the fuel pump wasn't running so a snapped belt seems unlikely....but worth a look.
Yeah, I know. I saw that too, but what the heck...all you have to do is take off the top cover. :D

I used to like my old Toyotas from the 80's and 90's. Car cranks...won't start...remove the distributor cap. If the rotor ain't spinning you 'overdrove' the belt....again! ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Scott,
I checked the crank sensor - It has 3 wires...Black/White/Blue..with a pink tracer
I have no feed to any of them?

·
Registered
15,283 Posts
Hi Scott,
I checked the crank sensor - It has 3 wires...Black/White/Blue..with a pink tracer
I have no feed to any of them?
Your engine will have an inductive type sensor, so that's probably correct. This type of sensor is basically a little generator and produces an AC voltage when the engine is running.

What you can do is measure the resistance of the sensor itself. I don't know the wire colours on your particular car but you want to touch your Ohmmeter probes across terminals 2 & 3 of the sensor connector (not the harness connector this time). You should get approx 500 Ohms. The other test you can do that's a little more tricky is measure the voltage output of the sensor during crank. You connect the AC voltmeter to the same terminals and you should get approx 3~4V during crank.

SENSOR CONNECTOR

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found a black wire broken inside insulation at entrance to sensor plug...Managed to join it..Engine starting fine now.

Many Thanks for your help and a Blessed 2018 to you and yours

·
Registered
15,283 Posts
Well spotted. That was a good bit of sparky work there, Sparky :smile:

All the best for 2018.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Autospark saves the day ... again??
Well, thanks for the update
Glad you got the car fixed for cheap
Good Morning,

Apologies for not responding to your personal reply to my post..it was a battle just getting and staying online to get a post completed on here.we had problems with internet connection due to thunder storms, so managing to login was trying, as we kept being kicked off the internet.. However, thank you for your input about the problem...much appreciated..and all the very best for 2018!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts