Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start the car, I have to apply gas to keep the motor from stalling. So right foot on gas, left foot on brake, put in drive and away I go. When the temp guage shows the coolent is warm, then it will idle and runs normally. After the motor is warm, I have tried removing connectors off of various sensors but it does not reproduce the problem. I have to wait until the motor cools. I do have the clinton service manual but it hasn't been of any help.

Update.... I decided to measure the coolent sensor which is located on the intake rad hose at the motor. It measures open. I plan on hitting a auto junk yard and see if I can do a comparison.
The ecu does not show any kind of error code.

Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by elantra93@Aug 9 2004, 02:37 PM
When I start the car, I have to apply gas to keep the motor from stalling. So right foot on gas, left foot on brake, put in drive and away I go. When the temp guage shows the coolent is warm, then it will idle and runs normally. After the motor is warm, I have tried removing connectors off of various sensors but it does not reproduce the problem. I have to wait until the motor cools. I do have the clinton service manual but it hasn't been of any help.

Update.... I decided to measure the coolent sensor which is located on the intake rad hose at the motor. It measures open. I plan on hitting a auto junk yard and see if I can do a comparison.
The ecu does not show any kind of error code.

Joe
[snapback]722[/snapback]​

Once I have similar problem. Does the car give you dark smoke on the evening once you start to warm up the engine? If it does, surely it's sure the air sensor located on the air filter that need a change. The price of that part was make me dizzy, so I decided to buy an old stock and it run well. Now, even the engine doesn't warm enough, the car run smoothly, and feel like a brand new again ;)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi,
it sounds like a problem with the stepper motor (idle servo). go to www.hmaservice.com , click on "service information", click on "web tech", select "shop" on top, then select 1998 sonata 2.0, click "fuel system", click "MFI control", click "idle speed control".
This is the same as on your car, but better displayed. let me know the outcome.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts