Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...

I own a 1992 Lantra and I noticed yesterday that my exhuast had grown a ponytail!!! :blink:

Now I am a girl who doesnt know a thing about cars so Ive no idea if someone has shoved something up my exhaust for a laugh or if something inside the exhaust has come away.
I pulled of about two metres of this stuff that looked like v long grey hair!.. It had darker strands on the outside and a lighter curly grey on the inner (like it had been wrapped around something).. I know this sounds a bit mad but I really need to know what this is!?
Am I going to need some work done on my exhaust now??

Thanks in advance,
any help is greatly appreciated!!

Nikki.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Nikki,

The "hair" that you see is the muffling material that is in your rear exhaust silencer.
Your rear silencer seems to have burnt trough on the inside, meaning that the "hair" will come out.
The only way that you can mend this is by relacing your rear exhaust silencer.

Frikkie

Originally posted by nikki@Aug 29 2004, 01:35 PM
Hi all...

I own a 1992 Lantra and I noticed yesterday that my exhuast had grown a ponytail!!! :blink:

Now I am a girl who doesnt know a thing about cars so Ive no idea if someone has shoved something up my exhaust for a laugh or if something inside the exhaust has come away.
I pulled of about two metres of this stuff that looked like v long grey hair!.. It had darker strands on the outside and a lighter curly grey on the inner (like it had been wrapped around something).. I know this sounds a bit mad but I really need to know what this is!?
Am I going to need some work done on my exhaust now??

Thanks in advance,
any help is greatly appreciated!!

Nikki.
[snapback]955[/snapback]​

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Frikkie@Sep 2 2004, 06:21 AM
Hello Nikki,

The "hair" that you see is the muffling material that is in your rear exhaust silencer.
Your rear silencer seems to have burnt trough on the inside, meaning that the "hair" will come out.
The only way that you can mend this is by relacing your rear exhaust silencer.

Frikkie
[snapback]995[/snapback]​

Hi Frikkie, Thanks for your reply.
Since I posted my problem I have been looking it up on the net and found the answer. But thank you for your responce. Ive called up a few garages and I hope to get it fixed soon.
Just one other question though.. Do you think it will still be safe to drive a long distance with this fault on my exhaust?

Thanks again,
Nikki.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Nikki,

I hope that I could have helped you.
As far as I know there should not be any problems with driving your car that way.
The only things that you might be weary of, is the following:
1. The car's exhaust note may sound a bit louder, since the muffling material is not there any more.
2. I'm not too sure what your local governments policy is on exhaust immisions, as this might be higher than what is allowed.
3. I do think that you should replace it as soon as possible, as due to the lack of back pressure in your exhaust system, it might cause the vehicle to run too lean on the fuel and air mixture, which might cause damage to your engines valves.

It is very nice talking to you.
I would love to keep in touch.

Hear from you soon.

Frikkie
Originally posted by nikki@Sep 2 2004, 02:41 PM
Hi Frikkie,  Thanks for your reply.
Since I posted my problem I have been looking it up on the net and found the answer.  But thank you for your responce.  Ive called up a few garages and I hope to get it fixed soon.
Just one other question though..  Do you think it will still be safe to drive a long distance with this fault on my exhaust?

Thanks again,
Nikki.
[snapback]1000[/snapback]​

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Frikkie@Sep 2 2004, 09:56 PM
Hello Nikki,

I hope that I could have helped you.
As far as I know there should not be any problems with driving your car that way.
The only things that you might be weary of, is the following:
1. The car's exhaust note may sound a bit louder, since the muffling material is not there any more.
2. I'm not too sure what your local governments policy is on exhaust immisions, as this might be higher than what is allowed.
3. I do think that you should replace it as soon as possible, as due to the lack of back pressure in your exhaust system, it might cause the vehicle to run too lean on the fuel and air mixture, which might cause damage to your engines valves.

It is very nice talking to you.
I would love to keep in touch.

Hear from you soon.

Frikkie

Hi,
thank you for your reply, I found it really helpfull.
I dont want to drive it until it drops off but I just need to wait until I am in more of a position to afford the repairs!
Thanks again.

Nikki
[snapback]1004[/snapback]​

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Nikki,

My name is Madalin and i'm from Romania. Soo about ur "little" problem in fact there is no problem except the noise.. (wich btw i love it.. ;) )
before my elanatra (2004 1.6 GLS) i used to drive an BMW 530i well.. there u cal talk about smoke, noise, etc., etc.... as i told u before there is no problem, u can drive it till u get som' time (and money too ;) ) to replace the final exhuast...

See ya B)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts