Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only 14k miles on the clock and now have a strange issue. When turning the steering wheel it makes a noise similar to peeling the protective "saran wrap" type coating off of new plastic parts. It doesn't seem to be affecting anything other than making the noise. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've experienced noises though not quite like what you've described. I had a post where I was describing some issues I was having with my car, but haven't updated the post since. My experience is more a knocking/tapping sound, which my mechanic identified with his electrician as being a loose part within/along the steering column. He said the electrician indicated that it was the second encounter he's had with that particular problem which seems to be a defect. Based on the nature of the issue, the part interferes with the power steering motor/controller which then gives incorrect readings to the angle sensors (best I remember from his explanation). In my case the only resolve is to replace the entire steering column.

For your case, is it possible the steering wheel is rubbing against the cover where the switches are located (indicator and windshield washer)? I've also had that issue after the dealership swapped (so they say) my steering column and didn't correctly reinstall the rear cover. So when I turn the steering, it rubs on the housing making a noise that sort of sounds like what you've described. If not then you'd have to try maybe driving on a free stretch and turning to see if you can pinpoint where the noise comes from. If you can also record it and drop it here, maybe that could help identify what may be the problem.

Sorry for the long-winded reply.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra
192 Posts
I've experienced noises though not quite like what you've described. I had a post where I was describing some issues I was having with my car, but haven't updated the post since. My experience is more a knocking/tapping sound, which my mechanic identified with his electrician as being a loose part within/along the steering column. He said the electrician indicated that it was the second encounter he's had with that particular problem which seems to be a defect. Based on the nature of the issue, the part interferes with the power steering motor/controller which then gives incorrect readings to the angle sensors (best I remember from his explanation). In my case the only resolve is to replace the entire steering column.

For your case, is it possible the steering wheel is rubbing against the cover where the switches are located (indicator and windshield washer)? I've also had that issue after the dealership swapped (so they say) my steering column and didn't correctly reinstall the rear cover. So when I turn the steering, it rubs on the housing making a noise that sort of sounds like what you've described. If not then you'd have to try maybe driving on a free stretch and turning to see if you can pinpoint where the noise comes from. If you can also record it and drop it here, maybe that could help identify what may be the problem.

Sorry for the long-winded reply.

Huh... Mines don't do all that even tho my wheels are an +45 offset. But, I'm beginning to think that I was sold a brand new vehicle with a bad front right suspension. Got an alignment last week and it still somwhat pulls to the right. When I brake hard it pulls the right enough to make you have to turn the steering wheel towards to left a bit to keep it straight. Developed muscle memory for that so no biggie but still.

I've ordered coilovers for my vehicle. Yellow speed inverted street pro coilovers. And I'm getting away bars aswell. If these coilovers fix this issue, I'm giving my dealership a 2 star rating.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Huh... Mines don't do all that even tho my wheels are an +45 offset. But, I'm beginning to think that I was sold a brand new vehicle with a bad front right suspension. Got an alignment last week and it still somwhat pulls to the right. When I brake hard it pulls the right enough to make you have to turn the steering wheel towards to left a bit to keep it straight. Developed muscle memory for that so no biggie but still.

I've ordered coilovers for my vehicle. Yellow speed inverted street pro coilovers. And I'm getting away bars aswell. If these coilovers fix this issue, I'm giving my dealership a 2 star rating.
I know my dealership sucks. I won't be surprised if there are more persons with the same issue I've got that have been made to think its normal. Hope those coilovers help you out bruv.

Also hope OP gets the noise sorted/figured out.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Have two half axles up front each with two constant velocity joints, very possible you received a brand new constant velocity joint that was never lubricated.

Making slow sharp turns say in an empty parking lot a person standing outside can really hear which one is bad. Or in a shop with the car up on a body life, turning the steering wheel to the far left or right can actually see the CV joint jump. Even at idle speed in gear.

Car pulling to the left or right can be one of two things while braking, weak strut or the pads are sticking, if this is the case, the rotor will be red hot. These are all easy to find if you know what you are doing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts