Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

My father and I both have the exact same 2018 Sonata 2.0T Limited with the 8 Speed transmission. He bought his about a month before me, and complained about having a vibration on the highway. He even took it back to the dealership for them to give it a test ride. They stated they didn't feel it on the test drive.

Fast forward a month, I take delivery of mine and on day one put on my 17" wheels with snow tires that I had just picked up from Tire Rack. I have the same situation on the highway. Tried to change the driving modes or pinpoint a specific speed but it varies. Checked tire pressure etc. Nothing out of place but I get it randomly typically above 70 MPH, even after the tires are warmed up.

Any other people have this, I'm wondering if it's with the 8 speed auto. So I'd be looking at the 2.0T's for 2018.

It's not bone jarring, but it is noticeable. I don't think it's a balance issue, given my wheels were new and balance and mounted to new tires, by tire rack, no weights are missing.

·
Registered
313 Posts
1. How is yours with the stock tires and wheels?

2. Take your aftermarket winter tires and wheels to a dealer that has a Hunter GSP 9700 Road Force Balancer. Make sure they know how to use it. Many places have the balancer but don't use it correctly. I've seen dealers only do a partial balance.
Full Balance::::
First; tire/wheel spun slowly with small rubber wheel dragging on tread. Tire gets a "runout" mark.
Second; wheel spun again slowly with a metal gauge measuring side runout. Wheel gets a "runout" mark.
Third; deflate tire, break bead, rotate tire on wheel so both "runout" marks line up.
Fourth; inflate tire, then do spin balance.
Fifth; after all four tires and wheels done, the Hunter RoadForce Balancer will give a printout telling you which corner of the car you should mount.

Labor intensive (costly) but it works. If dealer does not do all above steps, don't bother. On a former car, I purchased tires but had a vibration. Regular balance always showed they were in full balance. Went to my northern (Rochester) location and had Dunn Tire in Henrietta NY do the Road Force Balance. Smooth as silk. Money well spent.

As for you'r dads car, don't know. Most cars have great balance right from the factory. Nothing to do with the Great 8 Speed Transmission.
My 2018 8 Speed (and my 2015
6 Speed) is a great Transmission.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hello

My father and I both have the exact same 2018 Sonata 2.0T Limited with the 8 Speed transmission. He bought his about a month before me, and complained about having a vibration on the highway. He even took it back to the dealership for them to give it a test ride. They stated they didn't feel it on the test drive.

Fast forward a month, I take delivery of mine and on day one put on my 17" wheels with snow tires that I had just picked up from Tire Rack. I have the same situation on the highway. Tried to change the driving modes or pinpoint a specific speed but it varies. Checked tire pressure etc. Nothing out of place but I get it randomly typically above 70 MPH, even after the tires are warmed up.

Any other people have this, I'm wondering if it's with the 8 speed auto. So I'd be looking at the 2.0T's for 2018.

It's not bone jarring, but it is noticeable. I don't think it's a balance issue, given my wheels were new and balance and mounted to new tires, by tire rack, no weights are missing.

If the wheels were improperly balanced, you may realise shimmying at varying speeds: around 25(probably imperceptible), 55, and 75 mph.

Scarier scenario is improperly torqued lug nuts. The common practice is to tighten the nuts with the vehicle jacked and not when the weight is on the wheels. This leads to wheel-off situations.

Have your service agent recheck the tightening of the lug nuts.

·
Registered
689 Posts
where do you feel the vibration? for example if you feel it on your steering wheel, then it will likely be front tires out of balance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is some feedback. If not from the states you may not realize TireRack uses the best Hunter systems available. I've used them in the past for race rubber, they are not a small shop. ;) I trust the mounting of them, but if I run out of options I will likely have it redone to make sure. I argue if there is any better tire company than Tire Rack in the states. I've gone on site and watched them at work. It's impressive!
https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Road Force Balance - They do use Road Force Balancing

I literally drove 15 miles home from the dealership with the stock wheels and rubber, at speeds below 45 mph as it was a snow storm so I won't have them to compare to until the thaw sometime after April.

Wheels were torqued correctly and to spec using a calibrated torque wrench. Not done up on jacks. As stated before I did redo them to just to make sure. Wheels have hub- centric rings as well and are mounted correctly.

Hard to pinpoint the vibration. It is for sure in the steering, and I have found I can get a bit more of it from doing a slight turn in or out. Which makes me almost wonder. Today I felt it the most at around 72 MPH not at slower or higher speeds.
----------------

The part that was odd to me was my father pointing it out on his car in the first 300 miles with OE wheels and tire combo. Now I'm using a brand new aftermarket with the same scenario, and going to assume the OE's for me will do the same thing. Maybe the issue is White Limiteds. ;) Yes I'm joking......

Think this weekend we are going to pull the wheels, confirm all wheel weights are on correctly. Hub rings seated correctly, all PSI are dead on, and then remount and then rotate them as well and torque them again. I'm not interested in driving the OE's in this salt and slush. If all this fails will go have a talk with the dealership about getting the car on the hunter rack for specs and have my local race trusted wheel shop check the tires on there hunter system.

I guess I justed to put a feeler out if any other 18 owners were seeing it. I'm not implying it's a transmission "thing" just see if there are others out there, and if so what similarities there are.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
An incompetent employee can ruin the "best Hunter" systems available. They do ship screwups all the time.... wrong tire sizes/models... and unbalanced or incorrectly balanced combos. The only thing some of these large online sellers has is a pretty good customer service department. And, equipment, like Hunter, are only as good as their condition allows. Too many tire balance machines, alignment machines, "tools of the trade".... are in woeful condition, rarely service/calibrated/setup correctly....

During snow/ice incidents, snow/ice can buildup in the wheels/rims and throw off balance. Not much you can do until you clean/melt it off.

Hubcentric rings? Thats hit or miss for quality right there. I would use wheels that did NOT require hubcentric rings/spacers/adapters...

I've never cared for OE Hankrook/Nexen/Kumhor tires. They flat spotted too easily, they lost air PSI too quickly, they never seemed round enough even for a diagnostic wheel balance. Hyundais OE alignment specs, excessive camber/toe for poor driver skills, relying on acronyms, doesn't help much either.

What is the torque of your wheel lugnuts? Who calibrated the torque wrench?

What is the runout on the tires when mounts? what is the runout on the rims? Lateral and radial?

If non-OE rims, do you have the proper lugnuts for the wheel type?

What is the tire brand/size that you're having a problem with? along with rim/wheel manufacturer if not OE?

What is your current tire PSI? Garbage tires need weekly PSI checks, before driving, when tires are cold, preferably without one side of vehicle in direct fire of the sun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts