Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there has switched to 18" rims? I am especially interested in 2013's, as this already run low...am interested in folks that have done this upgrade and what has been their experience.

Sandan

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
seriously 150 views, no one on here has rocked an 18" wheel........no feedback.......wow amazing.......

Sandan

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts
Since you have not had any responses from HSH owners, ll chime in.
I dont have a HSH , have a 17 Sport 2.0T now but a few yr ago I had a Prius for a short time, I swapped the stock rims (15") for 17" low profile and the car looked great but I did loose MPG and the ride was a little noiser and harsh.

if you look on most of the Hybrid Forums you will find in almost all cases loss of MPG and noise / ride quality suffers when going to a larger wheel diameter. The noise and ride quality often times in the hybrid models is due to trying to keep weight down for fuel efficiency they cut sound proofing etc, especially in the Prius I owned, it was loud like a hollow box . I have driven the Sonata Hybrid and it is much nicer and comfortable IMO to the prius.

·
Registered
175 Posts
seriously 150 views, no one on here has rocked an 18" wheel........no feedback.......wow amazing.......

Sandan
I think most HSH and HSPH are perfectly content with the stock wheels (at least the ones that come with Limited editions). They look ok, the tires are ok (medium noise, medium drivability, good fuel economy, good longevity).

18" wheels sound like they will be noisier, heavier, worse fuel economy, and they cost a lot of money (wheels + tires), when we're all trying to save it.

Meh.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I run the 18" stock rims, and winter tires on 17". I prefer the 17" with thicker sidewall and when the time came to replace tires on the 18", I upsized the sidewall from 45 to 50, and prefer the slightly softer ride. Of course, there are many who prefer a firmer ride with a tighter steering feel. The tire compound and profile will have more impact on the road feel than going from 17" to 18" or vice versa.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since you have not had any responses from HSH owners, ll chime in.
I dont have a HSH , have a 17 Sport 2.0T now but a few yr ago I had a Prius for a short time, I swapped the stock rims (15") for 17" low profile and the car looked great but I did loose MPG and the ride was a little noiser and harsh.

if you look on most of the Hybrid Forums you will find in almost all cases loss of MPG and noise/ride quality suffers when going to a larger wheel diameter. The noise and ride quality often times in the hybrid models is due to trying to keep weight down for fuel efficiency they cut sound proofing etc, especially in the Prius I owned, it was loud like a hollow box. I have driven the Sonata Hybrid and it is much nicer and comfortable IMO to the Prius.
I know exactly what you mean; dont get me wrong I love the ride handling and comfort of my ride, but it is just that I have a set of 18" rims that are 5x114.3 sitting in my garage and was contemplating rocking it on this car, but I love my comfort and efficiency way too much to sacrifice that for the looks.....

Sandan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts