1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
* Model: 2018 Sonata 2.4 Limited
* VIN: 5NPE34AFXJH634072
* Mileage: Purchased at 0 miles in Nov 2017, now at 13k

* Issue: I drive in a smooth manner, not much hard driving involved. When the car is decelerating from about 14-ish mph to 12-ish mph, there is a hard downshift and a very rough jerking motion that occurs. It is not only felt by the driver but all the passengers in the car. Issue occurs in both Comfort and Eco mode but does not occur in Sport mode. Yes, I can always drive in Sport mode but I rather have the issue fixed.

* Tried:
  • Took it to dealership, they said the car "is learning and adapting to me". I have driven the same way for the past 11+ months and it looks like the car still has not learned anything.
  • Dealership also stated "this is normal". This is not normal, I have never driven a vehicle before that does this. Absolutely disgusting that Hyundai considers this to be "normal".
  • Another post on here mentions the same issue, but no resolution.

TSBs that may relate to the issue:
  • 5NP-X7G2S-09: This bulletin provides the procedure to update the TCU for shift shock when decelerating at slow.
  • 5NP-P5L7D-05: If you are servicing a vehicle with a harsh and/or delayed shift, use the GDS as shown in the Service Procedure to measure shift engagement time.
  • 5NP-L2K7X-05: If you are servicing a vehicle with a harsh and/or delayed shift, use the GDS as shown in the Service Procedure to measure shift engagement time.

I have read in the past on the forums that a few people here work at Hyundai dealerships and can look into TSBs. I was hoping someone can look into if there is a TSB for this. I do not think the dealership is looking into TSBs when I am taking it in for this issue. I have an appointment scheduled for Thursday Nov. 1st and I was hoping to have a TSB # for the dealership so they can better remedy the issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's very similar to the problem my 2018 Sonata SE had! They fixed it with a software TCU update. Here is the post I made earlier about it:
---------------------------------------

I was having the exact same issue on my 2018 Sonata SE. I was able to reproduce it by the following:
- Be in ECO or COMFORT mode
- Get up to 18-20 MPH
- Coast or brake slowly down to 14MPH
- Get a lurch as the car does an ugly downshift

It never happened in sports mode.

In any case, last Friday I took it in and they said there is a service bulletin on it, they had T3B listed on the invoice with the words "shift lock." In any case, they did a TCU update and my car drives perfectly now! Hope this helps someone as it is so frustrating when it would happen.

gaz

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for that information. I am going in on Thursday, hoping they can find the TCU update for my vehicle. I called them on Monday and asked them if there was a service bulletin for my car and they could not find anything.

That's very similar to the problem my 2018 Sonata SE had! They fixed it with a software TCU update. Here is the post I made earlier about it:
---------------------------------------

I was having the exact same issue on my 2018 Sonata SE. I was able to reproduce it by the following:
- Be in ECO or COMFORT mode
- Get up to 18-20 MPH
- Coast or brake slowly down to 14MPH
- Get a lurch as the car does an ugly downshift

It never happened in sports mode.

In any case, last Friday I took it in and they said there is a service bulletin on it, they had T3B listed on the invoice with the words "shift lock." In any case, they did a TCU update and my car drives perfectly now! Hope this helps someone as it is so frustrating when it would happen.

gaz

·
Registered
274 Posts
Had the same problem with mine. Sold it and bought 2015 Genesis Ultimate with more problems lol but I friggin love the car!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2017Sonata for over a year with 26000 miles and got used to it, mine does not do it very rough, just feels like slow braking. I had a similar experience like that in my previous 2011 Toyota Camry and I was told that it is programmed to improve gas millage.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine does it also. Seems to be annoying jolts when downshifting when coasting or lightly braking. As if the transmission is not sure it wants to downshift but then does.
I can not see how this has anything to do with mileage, but seems a software issue probably.

·
Registered
17,548 Posts
* Model: 2018 Sonata 2.4 Limited
* VIN: 5NPE34AFXJH634072
* Mileage: Purchased at 0 miles in Nov 2017, now at 13k

* Issue: I drive in a smooth manner, not much hard driving involved. When the car is decelerating from about 14-ish mph to 12-ish mph, there is a hard downshift and a very rough jerking motion that occurs. It is not only felt by the driver but all the passengers in the car. Issue occurs in both Comfort and Eco mode but does not occur in Sport mode. Yes, I can always drive in Sport mode but I rather have the issue fixed.

Simple solution ---

You have an open recall that has not been completed yet according to Hyundai Motor

I found VIN to be a USA car,, so if still in the Indianapolis area, visit Skillman

TCU UPDATE – SHIFT SHOCK --> SERVICE CAMPAIGN T3B

*** Dealer Stock and Retail Vehicles ***

Dealers must perform this Service Campaign on all affected vehicles prior to customer retail delivery and whenever an affected vehicle is in the shop for any maintenance or repair.

When a vehicle arrives at the Service Department, access Hyundai Motor America's "Warranty Vehicle Information" screen via WEBDCS to identify open Campaigns.

Description:
This bulletin provides the procedure to update the TCU for shift shock when decelerating at slow speeds.

Applicable Vehicles: Certain 2018 Sonata (LFA) 2.4GDI vehicles

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, exactly the information I needed. I have an appointment scheduled for Thursday, will provide an update then.

Simple solution ---

You have an open recall that has not been completed yet according to Hyundai Motor

I found VIN to be a USA car,, so if still in the Indianapolis area, visit Skillman

Dealers must perform this Service Campaign on all affected vehicles prior to customer retail delivery and whenever an affected vehicle is in the shop for any maintenance or repair.

When a vehicle arrives at the Service Department, access Hyundai Motor America's "Warranty Vehicle Information" screen via WEBDCS to identify open Campaigns.

Description:
This bulletin provides the procedure to update the TCU for shift shock when decelerating at slow speeds.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Simple solution ---

Description:

Weird, but my 2015 does the same thing and this does not seem to apply to it.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting topic here. Thanks vikramjatt11 for pointing me in the right direction however is this something which can be applied to on a sonata here in Australia? Mine is a 2016 Sonata.

If it can be what do I do? Shall i just print this whole topic off and show the mechanic that it needs the T3U update and the reason as to why.

cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 Sonata with 9,500 miles. Started having shifting problems a few months ago. Thought nothing of it until I read the forums that others were having the same problem. Was not happening all the time, once in a while but enough to aggravate me. I brought it into the shop last week 6/25/19 and they could not duplicate the problem. They probably didn't drive it long enough. They also said that it had no error codes but I requested that they give the transmission the new software update which they did. Driven for a week and the shifting is back to normal, no hard downshifting from second to first gear. It is now nice and smooth! I also got the Campaign 953 engine update while I was there. So far and a week later NO problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.