Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I'm new to the page, thought I'd share some pics. I found a great deal on these wheels when a young man put new aftermarket ones on his new turbo Elantra right away. I'm happy with the look, I think it works well with the white and dark windows.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Welcome! Very nice! The more I see white Sonata’s with dark windows the more I need to tint the windows on mine...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I like the design / look of the wheels but the overall size is small for your Sonata and will throw off your speedometer and possibly other performance because it is not giving accurate wheel speed to distance covered information to the car. It also contributes to the increased wheel to fender gap. It could also affect your ABS and traction control.

If those are stock Elantra Sport tires they are 225/40/18 and are a diameter of 25.1". Stock Sonata Sport 2.0T are 235/45/18 diameter of 26.4" the Sport 2.4L are 215/55/17 with diameter of 26.3" and the SEL are 205/65/16 with diameter of 26.5". So you can see the Sonata is set up to run overall tire diameters of about 26.3-26.6" (and the speedometers are 1-2 mph off).

You nay pickup a little in the acceleration because you are basically running a different gear ratio but you will also loose gas mileage if driving at the same speed because you will have to run a higher RPM to make the same speed.

You may want to consider changing tires on those wheels to either a 235/45/18 or if they are at least 7.5" wide wheels a 245/45/18 tire which completely corrects the speedometer error on all Sonatas with a diameter slightly larger of 26.7-26.8".

·
Registered
234 Posts
I like the design / look of the wheels but the overall size is small for your Sonata
Are you sure? His tires look pretty much like OEM 18" size (235/45R18) to me... Elantra Sport’s have a much smaller sidewall than that.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Are you sure? His tires look pretty much like OEM 18" size (235/45R18) to me... Elantra Sport’s have a much smaller sidewall than that.
You may be correct.
I was only commenting on the info that he posted that he got wheels off an Elantra Sport, so if he is on the same tires they are smaller diameter. If he did replace or have to buy tires and they are 235/45 or 245/45 then he is good to go.

Its hard for me to tell by the pictures but it looks like there is a good gap on that left front.

I hope the OP responds, it would be good to know that the 235/45 fit on those wheels. i like the wheel design, looks good on the car.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Just my .02 info. But You could also look into a 225/50R18. I just ordered some for my LF Hybrid. (diamond white pearl) The speedo on the LF is notoriously off my at least 2mph. and the fender gap is pretty cheesy as well. When winter came I jumped up to a 215 wide snow tire and one size taller. They fit great and it cures a bit of the fender gap and gets the speedo way closer to accurate.
Now that summer is here, I put the wheels N tires off my girls 17 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, which are stock 18's that actually have a much better offset to push the wheel out to the edge more. The stock tires are 225/55R18 which in the added pic you can see fit. "HOWEVER", upon going into dips, they do rub a portion of the plastic finder liner that sticks out a bit. So I'm going to the 225/50R18 which is right on the overall height of 26.9-27", same as the height on the snow tires. I like the look of the Elantra 18's, they give an "elegant" look to it. Kinda looks like a Ford Fusion wheel.

check out my Tron build in the YF/LF Hybrid section. Got some good pics of how well the wheels look on the white car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts