Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I invest my time before dropping my hard-earned coin on a new ride, and test drove E Limiteds several times (and a few other makes/models, too) before buying. I noticed both Nexen N Pritz AH8's and Continental Procontacts as OEM tires on the E Ltds (size 225/45/17 91W). I deliberately test drove Limited Ultimates with each tire, 33psi, immediately back-to-back, same clear afternoon over same exact local roads (smooth to broken pavements). Including local double roundabouts (chicanes) to check grip and transient response. The difference was so noticeable to me that I negotiated with the dealer to swap to Procontacts as part of my deal. Procontacts were only slightly quieter, but clearly smoother riding and sharper handling. Not bad mouthing the Nexens, but the Procontacts were better performing. OTOH- Nexens had a higher treadware rating (500 vs 400) so theoretically should last longer (under same conditions).
DISCLAIMERS- I had never owned Nexen or Conti car tires before, so no axe to grind either way. Just offering my personal observations for ONE car model in ONE tire size/speed rating on dry pavement ONLY, not over wet or snow. YMMV.
I will update my opinion for rain/snow/treadwear as the miles accumulate.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have the Nexens 15" and left rear was replaced due to damage before 5,000 miles. Dealership does not stock them and would take a while to get. I found a family owned tire shop that sells them. After replaced with new the owner said they are one of the best all season tires you can buy. He needs to keep customers happy to keep in business. Probably a cheaper option.

I hear good things about the Continental tires. I had General RT43's on my last car. Liked them better than Michelins. They did very well in rain. Continental is the more premium line of tires and General mid grade ones (Continental owns General).

My Nexen's are T rated which was the same as my RT43's. I don't push my car and can put 40 lbs air in my tires and give me a good enough ride. I found the Nexens have poor traction with lower tire pressure. If my tires are spinning too much adding air corrects the problem. I could see the Nexens not doing well if you only had 33 lbs in them.

Tires can put a smile on your face when you drive or make you miserable with poor performance. Getting the ones you like makes sense.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree 100% that tires can have a big effect on your driving experience.
To clarify- I mentioned 33psi because that is Hyundai spec for OEM tires on that specific car, and thus what dealer's service tech inflated the tires to.

I have not driven the 15" T-rated Nexens so cannot comment on them specifically. But certainly different sizes & versions (e.g. speed & treadware ratings) of the same make/model tire may perform differently....some better, some worse. It is possible that I may have had a different opinion of 15" Nexens vs 15" Conti's.
I have not driven General RT43's, but they seem to do very well in Tirerack.com's road testing.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=208

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
If you liked the Conti Pro Contact, come replacement time try the Continental Extreme Contact DWS6. Best rain tire I have ever driven and that includes Michelin and Pirelli.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After a couple months including driving in rain and some snow up to 4 inches, I'm still very happy with the ProContacts.
Treadwear experience still pending, of course.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brief update. After several more snowfalls and some freezing rains I continue to be impressed with how these Procontacts handle the winter slop. I roll along just fine where most other cars are obviously slipping & sliding (like pulling away at stop lights, braking, and cornering). Not like a big 4WD with knobbie tires of course, but better than vast majority of sedans.
Again- Treadwear experience still pending...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sad update- Two of my tires (ProContacts) have developed sidewall bulges and need replacement. Under 3,000miles. We'll see what Conti says about warranty. Disturbing development in any case.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Sad update- Two of my tires (ProContacts) have developed sidewall bulges and need replacement. Under 3,000miles. We'll see what Conti says about warranty. Disturbing development in any case.
Sorry to hear that.

One of my Nexens was impaled by what looked like half a scissors. I replaced it at local Nexen dealer. The owner said that the Nexen tires I have are one of the best all season tires money could buy. With close to 9,000 miles they are still quiet with adequate traction.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All I was offered was a modest "goodwill discount" off list price of replacement tires- despite these going bad at under 2500mi. I had the dealer show me the tires after they were dismounted and they showed NO internal signs of impact damage whatsoever (no abrasion, impact marks, rubber bits, etc.). Ran my hands around the inside of the tires & felt nothing either. And the alloy wheels had absolutely no marks at all. Finally broke down and bought 2 replacement tires, although I thought hard about just putting that $$ towards a good set of another make of tire.
Not feelin' the love towards Conti. :mad:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Did you get the same tires? My dealership said it might be a week or so to get my tire. Did not feel very confident with their answer and looked elsewhere.

That sucks! I think I would be calling customer service number for Conti to see what they would say.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Update on my Conti ProContacts (inc. the 2 I had to replace at my cost). They made it through a year uneventfully. Did OK (for an A/S tire) in snow up two 5". Good handling in dry and wet. My eval for these as an A/S tire- --good all-around performer but I cannot recommend due to questionable durability (see my prior entries in this thread)....and questionable Conti customer service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts