Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. A few days ago I started my wife’s 17’ SFS and it sounded/felt rough on startup, like it was sputtering. This lasted maybe 1-2 seconds. Then this morning my wife called to say that while she was reversing into a parking space, the sputtering came back and she thought her SF would die. I am thinking it has something to do with possible bad gas. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I’ve never had experience with using bad gas.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Did the service engine light come on at all? Today's vehicles are generally programmed to detect and alert for engine misfires via that light. A flashing SES light would indicate a substantial misfire that should be attended to promptly to avoid damage to the Cat.

Now speaking generally and across product lines....On start up it is not necessarily unusual to feel a second or two of what may be perceived as roughness. Some manufacturers play games with the engine computer programming to meet cold start / engine warm up EPA requirements that can lead to some roughness. In some GM models as an example it can last for a few minutes.

Now I am not saying that there isn't anything wrong in your case. The part about the roughness backing into a parking space bothers me a bit, but if there was no SES light there may not be anything to work off of to determine why. If it persists it would be worth your time to speak with your Dealer and perhaps get it checked. There may, for example, be updated ECM software available that "might" address your concern.

As for bad fuel....Yes it could be an issue. In my area we do sometimes see fuel with some water in it or perhaps with an excess amount of alcohol. It has been fairly rare however. Now if you live in an area that saw any recent flooding then there may be a greater chance of water contamination. I say that only because we tend to see more of it after flooding events....

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the service engine light come on at all? Today's vehicles are generally programmed to detect and alert for engine misfires via that light. A flashing SES light would indicate a substantial misfire that should be attended to promptly to avoid damage to the Cat.

Now speaking generally and across product lines....On start up it is not necessarily unusual to feel a second or two of what may be perceived as roughness. Some manufacturers play games with the engine computer programming to meet cold start / engine warm up EPA requirements that can lead to some roughness. In some GM models as an example it can last for a few minutes.

Now I am not saying that there isn't anything wrong in your case. The part about the roughness backing into a parking space bothers me a bit, but if there was no SES light there may not be anything to work off of to determine why. If it persists it would be worth your time to speak with your Dealer and perhaps get it checked. There may, for example, be updated ECM software available that "might" address your concern.

As for bad fuel....Yes it could be an issue. In my area we do sometimes see fuel with some water in it or perhaps with an excess amount of alcohol. It has been fairly rare however. Now if you live in an area that saw any recent flooding then there may be a greater chance of water contamination. I say that only because we tend to see more of it after flooding events....
Thanks for the reply. No flooding here in Phoenix. As for engine lights coming on? I haven’t seen anything myself, but I’ll ask my wife when she gets home from work. I’m pretty sure she would have said something as she just about freaks out with dashboard lights popping on that indicate an issue, such as low tire pressure light.

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
814 Posts
Mine rough idled and "sputtered" while driving.
Turned out to be a bad spark plug (at like a little over a year and 13,000 miles).

Although the check engine came on shortly with a cylinder misfire code.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine rough idled and "sputtered" while driving.
Turned out to be a bad spark plug (at like a little over a year and 13,000 miles).

Although the check engine came on shortly with a cylinder misfire code.
Jesus. Her car doesn’t even have 7,000 miles on it yet. Bought in June.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
These engines are monitored so close that just about any misfire, even ones that you may not feel, will turn non the light as MJ noted. Our shop foreman used to joke that a spider walking across the hood would set the (expletive deleted) off. You have a bit of a mystery going on.....

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These engines are monitored so close that just about any misfire, even ones that you may not feel, will turn non the light as MJ noted. Our shop foreman used to joke that a spider walking across the hood would set the (expletive deleted) off. You have a bit of a mystery going on.....
Yea it is. I’d have thought there would be some lights come on. But nope.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts