Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Im considering upgrading my stock steel rims to 16" alloys/mags. 2 Questions ...

1. How will this effect the ride and handling of the car?
2. I know that increasing the size of your rims can throw out the speedo and ODO but to compensate you use a lower profile tyre. My Question is, is there a tyre with a low enough profile to allow it to stay accurate, or can the speedo but calibrated?

cheers

·
1,462 Posts
QUOTE (Barnzey @ May 24 2010, 07:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325728
Hi Guys

Im considering upgrading my stock steel rims to 16" alloys/mags. 2 Questions ...

1. How will this effect the ride and handling of the car?
2. I know that increasing the size of your rims can throw out the speedo and ODO but to compensate you use a lower profile tyre. My Question is, is there a tyre with a low enough profile to allow it to stay accurate, or can the speedo but calibrated?

cheers

You can switch to 16" rims with tire sizes like:
185/50R16
205/45R16
205/40R16
215/35R16

All these 4 tires sizes will keep your odometer/speedometer within +/- 4%, which is less than the 5% margin of error allowed. About handling, remember that the lower profile means rougher handling to a point that you will be able to feel every single stone and crack on the pavement. Also, lower profile tires are more easily damaged by bumps and holes.

Also, remember that the Getz is a very light car, which means that with wider tires (like a 205), the "aquaplanning" phenomena will be more likely to happen at lower speeds.

The Getz's suspension is already a bit rough to even think of making it rougher, unless of course, you are blessed with nothing less than perfect roads and streets.

For the reasons explained above, I suggest to go with a 185/50R16 tire which is 3.9% taller than the factory installed 185/55/R15 tire. With it, when your speedometer reads 100 Km/h, you will be actually traveling at 103.9 km/h. That is just a 3.9% difference, considering of course, that the factory speedometer is calibrated perfectly.

RB

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I am new to this forum after acquiring a pre facelift 1.6 Sport. I am also considering changing wheels to 16" or 17". My concern is would this require lowering suspension?

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

QUOTE (Robert B. @ Jul 22 2010, 05:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343901
You can switch to 16" rims with tire sizes like:
185/50R16
205/45R16
205/40R16
215/35R16

All these 4 tires sizes will keep your odometer/speedometer within +/- 4%, which is less than the 5% margin of error allowed. About handling, remember that the lower profile means rougher handling to a point that you will be able to feel every single stone and crack on the pavement. Also, lower profile tires are more easily damaged by bumps and holes.

Also, remember that the Getz is a very light car, which means that with wider tires (like a 205), the "aquaplanning" phenomena will be more likely to happen at lower speeds.

The Getz's suspension is already a bit rough to even think of making it rougher, unless of course, you are blessed with nothing less than perfect roads and streets.

For the reasons explained above, I suggest to go with a 185/50R16 tire which is 3.9% taller than the factory installed 185/55/R15 tire. With it, when your speedometer reads 100 Km/h, you will be actually traveling at 103.9 km/h. That is just a 3.9% difference, considering of course, that the factory speedometer is calibrated perfectly.

RB

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just wonder if there can fit with not hit the wheel arch if you put your RIM 16" by tire size 205/45 into Getz? cos stock rim from hyundai was 185/65 R14. that mean it far beyond width from stock rim. let say if you turn your wheel? sure it hit that arch? I wonder which is suite for Getz in width tire was. here is comparing wheel with your speed.

175/65 R14 = OEM
185/55 R15 = 0.2 Slow
195/45 R16 = 0.2 Slow
205/45 R16 = 1.3 Slow
195/50 R16 = 3.1 Slow
205/40 R17 = 2.2 Slow
225/40 R18 = 9.3 Slow

Please advise us which is comfortable ride & look peeewwitt~ :thumbsup: & width tire & not to slow down your speed.

PS: Sorry my Broken Language :grin:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hi I put in my car rings 14. Initially tires 175/65/14

Now change to a more wide and low 195/60/14

Personally and through the streets of my country I don´t like to drive with low profile tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Getz10 for the picture your posting there. is it good for you to not wear Low Profile tires at road really not good condition. & I also did aware of this kind of road to. cos if u put the low profile tires with poor condition road. somehow it will explode your tires or ur wheel will dent. then it will cost u to replace or repair it.

But what I choose it jus to get a medium look & can be use at both road with good & poor condition. At the meantime I still in doubt to choose which the best wheel & tire suite to this getz. I seen 1 picture that wear 195/45 R16 size tire at wheel 16". it look smart & the rim is look like bigger a bit. compare from your stock rim 14" u up to 15" stilll it look the same. I did read some article which rim 17". u r not to worry for lowered it down this spring just fit in perfectly & low using 17" rim. anyway, still find the solution first.

·
Registered
648 Posts
narc check this brouchure about the OEM accesories of getz, check page #2 :thumbsup: :gitara:

thats me car´s back

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks you Getz10 :liebe011: , this was awesome info catalog OEM that u had there. Even I get hard time search this info in the internet to get Getz info I need it. Let were share this info from u & me. even do new model will coming soon to replace this Getz. but I wont afraid of using Getz. cos I love this car with the look aero compare the new model will coming is look suck to me.

So, I found few info about the wheel/rim for Getz. offset & size does matter. because I read some article with using big wheel/rim will rub or touch your fender body. OMG.. so need a mod abit. but I want it standard without mod all thing with fit in this wheel at ur car. Maximum is 16" but 17" will need mod abit cos it bigger. small tire, available tire at ur country, low profile, offset of the rim by not touch ur fender. but the best wheel/rim can do is 15". hmmm.. so confusing.

·
Registered
648 Posts
QUOTE (narc @ Apr 18 2011, 07:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=432395
Thanks you Getz10 :liebe011: , this was awesome info catalog OEM that u had there. Even I get hard time search this info in the internet to get Getz info I need it. Let were share this info from u & me. even do new model will coming soon to replace this Getz. but I wont afraid of using Getz. cos I love this car with the look aero compare the new model will coming is look suck to me.

So, I found few info about the wheel/rim for Getz. offset & size does matter. because I read some article with using big wheel/rim will rub or touch your fender body. OMG.. so need a mod abit. but I want it standard without mod all thing with fit in this wheel at ur car. Maximum is 16" but 17" will need mod abit cos it bigger. small tire, available tire at ur country, low profile, offset of the rim by not touch ur fender. but the best wheel/rim can do is 15". hmmm.. so confusing.

"I am agree with you :thumbsup:

you know put 15"" on your Getz :innocent:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Who every said that offset doesn't matter is full of BS...

I'm running 17 inch wheels with 215/40R17 Dunlop SP9000s and my speedo is almost perfect (compared to my GPS anyway) and besides the fact that my car sits a tiny bit higher than standard, there are no side effects. I've had a full load of people and never scrape... I'm pretty sure they're ET48... So long as you get the right offset, you'll be fine.
Pics:

·
Registered
21 Posts
An old thread but I think my question belongs here :)

I have acquired 14"x5J alloy rims from Accent 2000-2002 (second in a row here: 2000 Hyundai Accent Rims, 2000 Hyundai Accent Wheels at OriginalWheels.com). They also have ET46.
Getz has 5.5J factory rims. Does this difference in ET have any impact on car's handling or other things? The tires are standard 175/65/14" and I don't plan on changing to other dimensions.

Please write your opinions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts