Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife & I decided to sell her 2006 Sonata (3.3 V6 GLS). She has been very meticulous about keeping up with the maintenance on the vehicle using the dealer since I never have time to do it myself.
However, since we are selling to the in-laws and the car actually has 146k mi on it, I'm going all out with doing the maintenance myself before we make the drive from TX to FL with it.
But, after looking through all of paperwork to see whats been done, it doesn't look like the dealer has ever changed the transmission fluid or filter. This doesn't surprise me because even when my wife makes sure they use synthetic engine oil, they still call and tell her it needs to changed about every 3000 miles.
After some research, I've found that the transmission fluid can be changed but not the filter because its inside of the actual tranny itself.
We bought the car with about 50k miles, so assuming it was at least changed before then, its now been close to 100k without anything done.
Should I just change the fluid (more than once) or get it flushed?
I've read some conflicting opinions on this matter so I'm interested to see the feedback.
As for the rest of the maintenance, I plan on

1. Changing engine oil and filter
2. Changing coolant
3. Changing cabin and air filter
4. Changing the brake fluid and bleeding the lines
5. Tire rotation

and apparently the fuel filter is a serviceable item even though its inside of the fuel tank.
Any other suggestions for maintenance? The belts do not look like they have been replaced either. Should I replace those as a preventative measure?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm pretty disappointed in Hyundai's service schedule. It lists things that are BS like the fuel filter, and other things like the fuel tank air filter are poorly explained and even the dealers sometimes don't know what they are.

The fuel filter is technically serviceable, but no one does it. Don't bother with the fuel filter. It's just a small sock filter on the pump.

I doubt the transmission fluid was changed before 50k miles. I would guess it's never been changed. Changing it, the brake fluid and the coolant wouldn't be a bad idea.

There's a lot of confusion on the Internet when it comes to transmission fluid exchanges. Many people say "don't do a flush," but what they're referring to isn't done by many shops. A "flush" would generally be considered a service where they pump cleaning chemicals through the tranny. Many people agree that's probably not a good thing to do.

Most shops do a transmission fluid "exchange," where they disconnect the tranny cooler line and a machine collects the old fluid and allows the transmission to take in new fluid. I see nothing wrong with this service. It's simply a quick, efficient way to get all of the old fluid out.

They'll likely do an exchange for the coolant. They'll disconnect a hose and a machine will collect the old coolant and replace it with new coolant. The shop I used to work at had a coolant machine of this style.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
My wife & I decided to sell her 2006 Sonata (3.3 V6 GLS). She has been very meticulous about keeping up with the maintenance on the vehicle using the dealer since I never have time to do it myself.
However, since we are selling to the in-laws and the car actually has 146k mi on it, I'm going all out with doing the maintenance myself before we make the drive from TX to FL with it.
But, after looking through all of paperwork to see whats been done, it doesn't look like the dealer has ever changed the transmission fluid or filter. This doesn't surprise me because even when my wife makes sure they use synthetic engine oil, they still call and tell her it needs to changed about every 3000 miles.
After some research, I've found that the transmission fluid can be changed but not the filter because its inside of the actual tranny itself.
We bought the car with about 50k miles, so assuming it was at least changed before then, its now been close to 100k without anything done.
I've read some conflicting opinions on this matter so I'm interested to see the feedback.

2. Changing coolant
5. Tire rotation

and apparently the fuel filter is a serviceable item even though its inside of the fuel tank.
Any other suggestions for maintenance? The belts do not look like they have been replaced either. Should I replace those as a preventative measure?
If you are doing this yourself, you will need to do at least two dumps. I'd add changing out the power steering fluid to that. I did mine at 75k miles and just used a turkey baster. Took about 6 refills before the fluid started looking clear. Couldn't hurt to change the belts if you don't know how long it's been.

·
Registered
301 Posts

2. Changing coolant
5. Tire rotation

Transmission flush is not recommended by HMA, they recommend the regular drain and fill procedure.

Please see this thread

·
Registered
467 Posts
Transmission flush is not recommended by HMA, they recommend the regular drain and fill procedure.

Please see this thread
I don't know why you chose to bump this old thread, but re-read what I posted above.

Most shops don't do a "flush," they do a fluid exchange, which is effectively the same as a "drain and fill," but a drain and fill won't actually get that much of the fluid on some vehicles.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think synthetic oil should have longer services intervals every once a year or10,000 miles. Bmws don't need a oil change till 18,000 miles or 15 months. Bmw's used syntheic oil.transmission is every 30k in normal service intervels is 10 years or 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Can our oil filters hold up for 10k miles if we switch to synthetic? BMW's were made to use synthetic from the factory, while ours used regular oil, would the filter even be cause for concern?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts