Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I stopped in the dealer for my 10,000 mile oil change on my Elantra, and the tech informed me that when my 15K service came around, the car would need to have the alignment checked. That's not troubling me, but what did was that he told me that it was going to cost around $150 for alignment and oil change. That seems stiff, anyone else done this? I am assuming it might be able to be done cheaper outside of the dealer, but I am afraid that it might look bad against my warranty.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Just do the recommended services according to your manual, and nothing more. Their bundling contains a lot of "eyeball" work, if you look at what a 15K service entails vs. the required maintenance.That's all you have to do for warranty purposes. An alignment check is a good idea, but should be free for just a check.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Oil change, rotate/balance.. visual of pads while wheels off, but at 15, cant see you blazing a set of pads unless you on brake pedal all the time with stop lights glowing all the way down the road.

Alignment is 12/12.. go in and complain that the car pulls/drifts/feels loose or something, and get the align done under warranty adjustment.

I can tell you for a fact, there is not the first square alignment to come off truck from Hyundai..

Do an align, be sure they give you a copy of the finished align print reflecting the before and finished numbers.. I would like to see them.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Just to be clear, there is no required "alignment check" for an Elantra at any mileage. Therefore, not doing it won't have any effect whatsoever on your warranty. Alignment is checked "on condition" meaning that you check it if you notice the car is not behaving correctly.... pulling to one side, abnormal tire wear, etc.

12K/12-mos is the "adjustment period" of the Hyundai warranty. Some are taking this to mean this is the period when if you have an alignment problem, Hyundai would fix it free - outside this, they'd charge you for an adjustment if necessary. But if the alignment issue is due to something being defective in the suspension, it should still be covered by the usual 60K/60-mos warranty.

Many dealers are doing alignment checks now as a matter of course, often while they are writing up a service order - this is when it is easy to add a huge-profit-building alignment service onto the service order and pad their bottom line.

Unless the car is exhibiting a problem, I'd avoid the dealer's come-ons and tell them just to do the things the owner's manual requires. If you check, they're probably performing other unnecessary service also and this is why the 15K service bill is so high. All that is required is to do an oil/filter change, replace the cabin air filter, rotate tires, and do a bunch of inspections.

- Mark

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the insight guys. I'm not against getting it done if it needed it, I just suspected that it might be tacked on by the dealer even if it was not in order to make some bucks. It drives pretty straight and I haven't seen any abnormal wear on the tires. I will wait and see how I feel when it comes up around 15,000, (man miles seem to add up quickly to these new cars).

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Agree with everyone else, unless puliing to one side or the other or abnormal tire wear aligment is not needed

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Agree with everyone else, unless puliing to one side or the other or abnormal tire wear aligment is not needed
How do you know what the current numbers is, and if they is valid.. I've seen some pretty whooper jaw numbers that the steering wheel was straight..

I deal with this everyday

·
Registered
417 Posts
My local NTB will do alignment checks for free. I'm not sure if this is a nationwide policy. If found out of spec, the alignment will cost $80-$100 depending on what deals are being offered at that time.

My opinion is preventative alignements are overrated. If there is a handling issue or tire wear problem, then get it done regardless if it is under warranty or not. Otherwise, don't waste your time. As has been stated, Hyundai will cover alignments only if you have a handling or tire wear issue, and not after 12/12. After 12/12, no alignment-related issue is covered under warranty unless there is something else wrong that a simple adjustment will not fix. Tires are not covered by Hyundai's standard warranty at all. Not even as you drive the car off the lot. That is the tire manufacturer's warranty and that is not covered for wear caused by mis-alignment. So there is no reason ever for a "preventative" alignment IMO.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
How do you know what the current numbers is, and if they is valid.. I've seen some pretty whooper jaw numbers that the steering wheel was straight..I deal with this everyday
steering wheel being straight has nothing to do with alignment being correct, that just makes it look good. Just saying that if the tires are wearing properly and vehicle is sterring fine don't waste the money on an alignment. I have had cars where the alignment was jus tdone and fine but they forgot to straighten the steering wheel, car drove fine they just forgot to make it look good

1 - 9 of 9 Posts