Hyundai Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a friend that says his sonata has no rev/mph limiter. He says hes hit 140+ and has not found the top speed in fear of safety but says he thinks the car will do over 150 easy. This car came this way from the manufacture. Is this possible? :liebe011:

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
1. trolling
Being a **** on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can.
Guy: "I just found the coolest ninja pencil in existence."
Other Guy: "I just found the most retarded thread in existence."

2. trolling

Trolling is the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet, generally on message boards. When done in a moderated internet community, this can result in banning. When done to uptight people such as fundies, this can result in hilarity.
Apparently I can't post links here, so I can't give a good example of trolling. Sorry.

3. Trolling

Trolling is trying to get a rise out of someone. Forcing them to respond to you, either through wise-crackery, posting incorrect information, asking blatantly stupid questions, or other foolishness. However, trolling statements are never true or are ever meant to be construed as such. Nearly all trolled statements are meant to be funny to some people, so it does have some social/entertainment value.

"Trolling" isn't simply "harmful statements". Intentionally insulting/libelous statements are "flaming".

Just as bad as trolling is "Feeding the Trolls". This is when people say stuff that they know will prompt someone to respond with a trolled reply and/or replying to comments that are blatantly from a troll. This is especially true when a troll first makes his comment/reply, and (usually many) people respond, either trying to correct the troll, or express anger at the statement. At that point, the trolling was successful and has been fed. When encouraged by success and feeding, trolls often return.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Do a search for fella out in AZ I think it was that got rental and blew a bunch of highway speed cameras... the article is hanging in the training center classroom, dont recall what the top speed was though..

The article was dated a couple yr ago I think it was.

Current top speed, unknown here,,, but there is an end to program where things shut off... my daily ride shuts off at 112 (Garmin ETREX to measure speed)

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Oct 9 2010, 10:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362368
Do a search for fella out in AZ I think it was that got rental and blew a bunch of highway speed cameras... the article is hanging in the training center classroom, dont recall what the top speed was though..

The article was dated a couple yr ago I think it was.

Current top speed, unknown here,,, but there is an end to program where things shut off... my daily ride shuts off at 112 (Garmin ETREX to measure speed)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
For the record, all it takes to push a traditional family sedan with a drag coefficient of .30 to 150 mph is about 200 hp at the wheels. That translates to about 250 hp at the crank. (Smaller sedans need less power.) Since 90% of family sedans with a V6 engine produces over 260hp today, that means 90% of them could break the 150 mph barrier if they it had their governors removed. As you probably know, most cars have governors that limit top speed well below the car's actual drag limited speed to protect their tires.

Also bear in mind speedometer error becomes a big factor at those speeds. Like most cars, Hyundai's speedometers are off by about 2%-3%. If the speedometer reads 60 mph, you're actually traveling about 58 mph. If the speedometer reads 150 mph, you're actually travelling about 145 to 147 mph. In V33's case, when his speedometer read 152 mph he was probably going about 148-149 mph, which happens to be the speed at which I read Hyundai governs their top speed. Hyundai selected that speed because the V6-Sonata's came with V speed rated tires, which are designed for a maximum speed of 149 mph. (By the way V33 that is still smoking fast, you crazy nut!)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (Blue07 @ Oct 10 2010, 11:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362432
Hyundai selected that speed because the V6-Sonata's came with V speed rated tires, which are designed for a maximum speed of 149 mph.
FWIW, I learned recently that the speed rating of tires means that the tire can travel at the maximum rated speed of the tire for 8 consecutive hours without failing.

·
Banned
873 Posts
QUOTE (melissa.928 @ Oct 10 2010, 04:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362457
There are no mods. to the car. it came that way from the factory so i was told. if you look at the previous posts my question has been answered. no need to be calling me names.
well i knew that your question was answered but ihad a question for you if you red carefull enough smarty, i wanted to ask what your friend did because i dont think you know what im talking about... no cars come with deleted rev limiter LOL hahahaha.. when you floor your car your car automatically shifts (thats when your revlimiter engages causing your car to shift to upper gear) and if you have a manual you punch your gas and if you dont shift it your rpm will bounce up and down at the maximum rpm point.(redline) if you deleted yur rev limiter (like some genesis coupe guys) and running bone stock internals no modifications, your car would rev past like 8-9k rpm and blow the motor

but you CLEARLY said your friend deleted his rev limiter... so i actually thought if he modified the rev limit to higher rpm.. i was actually seriously thinking how he did it not trying to feed the troll dont worry.. but if his cars stock than yea there is a rev limiter... tell him to join this forum

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
4,858 Posts
QUOTE (downhiller88 @ Oct 10 2010, 04:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362479
well i knew that your question was answered but ihad a question for you if you red carefull enough smarty, i wanted to ask what your friend did because i dont think you know what im talking about... no cars come with deleted rev limiter LOL hahahaha.. when you floor your car your car automatically shifts (thats when your revlimiter engages causing your car to shift to upper gear) and if you have a manual you punch your gas and if you dont shift it your rpm will bounce up and down at the maximum rpm point.(redline) if you deleted yur rev limiter (like some genesis coupe guys) and running bone stock internals no modifications, your car would rev past like 8-9k rpm and blow the motor

but you CLEARLY said your friend deleted his rev limiter... so i actually thought if he modified the rev limit to higher rpm.. i was actually seriously thinking how he did it not trying to feed the troll dont worry.. but if his cars stock than yea there is a rev limiter... tell him to join this forum

Stop feeding the troll.

·
Banned
335 Posts
QUOTE (melissa.928 @ Oct 9 2010, 08:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362338
Have a friend that says his sonata has no rev/mph limiter. He says hes hit 140+ and has not found the top speed in fear of safety but says he thinks the car will do over 150 easy. This car came this way from the manufacture. Is this possible? :liebe011:
You know I can't believe it either? :innocent: Also leave those poor people in Sonata 5G alone.

·
Banned
335 Posts
QUOTE (Big B @ Oct 10 2010, 10:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362526
mamamia do us a favor unsubscribe.
145 is typical, once in 5th you really just lose speed and cruise. I'd be worried about throwing a rod.
I only say this because mama can have you removed from here by rubbing you out. I ask what did mama do?

You do mean Melissa right? This was, and still is one of my favorite websites, and mama has been a big part of it. Edmunds too, I hate them!

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
I suspect Big B meant it for "somebody" else, especially since I have not posted any comments here regarding the validity of the 140+ mph, or expressed any opinion about this speed subject :whistling: :innocent: :whistling: :innocent: :whistling:

Oh, and thanks for the kind and warm words. Elections are coming and any endorsement is highly appreciated!

Oh, and I apologize to Melissa for asking her/him to quit (3 weeks to election day! Would you please now consider voting for me, Melissa?). I think every person has the right to express him/herself, even if only to expose his/her stupidity. That's the true glory of our Democracy.

Oh, and before I forget, :liebe011: and :bwekk:

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I sorta hate to get involved with this subject but I've hit 100 mph in my four cylinder and that was plenty fast for me and there was additional pedal travel. I would not want to go much faster because I have experienced a serious auto accident in my teens while drag racing.

When I was having my 2009 serviced, the mechanic told me that the four cylinder would do 138 mph and the V6 would
do 160 mph. Was the mechanic being serious? Seemed to be. I was inclined to believe him. Why would he lie about it?

Take it for what it is worth. I think it is foolish to drive at these speeds but I am sure they will go pretty darned fast. My $0.02 worth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.