Hyundai Forums banner

13 Sonata Turbo: Bad battery/ alternator?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  gocubs418 
#1 ·
Just got this car beginning of Nov, everything running smoothly. Just took it in for its 3k servicing. I get home today fine and just now I go to start the car and the lights just keep flickering. I have it hooked up to my Battery Tender as I think the battery died somehow?? How can the car stay running? If the alternator went, wouldn't the battery died a long time ago? Sounds like either bad battery or bad alternator?

Any ideas?

#3 ·
Update: I left it on a trickle charge and it turned over. So I got the car running. I disconnected the negative and I noticed the lights were flickering really quickly slightly lower. I connect the negative back and the lights got stronger.

I believe its a bad alternator. Taking this right up to Service tomorrow. 3.3k miles. Quality not looking so good :( Could just be bad luck..... Also, I popped the hood and it kinda sounds like something is running funking.

I don't have a voltmeter unfortunately.

Good news is that I got it started and i can take it up to the dealership to get tested.

Should I trickle charge it all night or just get it barely started? I assume they will be able to test all the components regardless?

#4 ·
first thing you should have done is call Hyundai Roadside assistance and had the car towed to the dealer (free of charge 5 yr 60k)This is why they offer it just in case things like this happen, so you don't have to worry about what the problem is. Also, the car would have been there first thing sat morning for them to work on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.