Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Sante Fe AWD 2.0 T

I just wondered if people are experiencing the same thing. I can be driving at night and hit the lights to off and the lights completely shut off. No running lights that you can see anything. It is completely dark.

Talked with Hyundai people and they say lights are dim on this model but I mean you cannot see a thing. I did this for the first time at 120 km on the highway when the truck was new and was very shocked. I didnt know where all lights were yet and it took me a few seconds to get the lights back on while driving, just thinking how dangerous this is because we literately could not see 2 feet in front of us.

Wondering how Hyundai has not changed this or really thought this is a major safety concern. I talked with great woman at Hyundai Canada and the answer seems to be. Ya our lights suck, deal with it and make sure you dont accidentally turn the lights off when driving or ... good luck....

Anyone else have thoughts,

Cheers,

I do love my truck but never had a car that just can shut all lights off and drive a ghost car..

·
Registered
181 Posts
You lost me here... Is your complaint that if you turn the lights off they go off?

The car does not have running lamps ( at least in the US) so if you turn the lights to the off position it does turn all the lights off.

Every car I've owned, even with running lights, had an option to turn all the lights off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not complaint, Just curious, Every car ive owned when driving you cannot fully turn off the lights. They have some sort of running lights so not pure darkness when your driving.

This is in Canada too.

I had just never seen a car you can shut the lights off and drive with no lights on at all.

I just thought it was odd.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did this by accident. I hit the lights to off position when driving. Yes I understand off turns lights off I just didnt know that can drive with no lights on. I have always had cars that keep some sort of light on when car is in gear.

Anyways guess just the way it is. I just found it little unsafe that can drive in pitch black, guess just me

·
Registered
555 Posts
Not complaint, Just curious, Every car ive owned when driving you cannot fully turn off the lights. They have some sort of running lights so not pure darkness when your driving.

This is in Canada too.

I had just never seen a car you can shut the lights off and drive with no lights on at all.

The day time running lights are always on until you either turn on the headlights or have the parking brake engaged. Maybe you have a problem with your DRL. Put your vehicle in Park and get out to see if they are on. The DRL (High Beam reduced voltage) are not very bright to begin with.

·
Registered
884 Posts
You lost me here... Is your complaint that if you turn the lights off they go off?

The car does not have running lamps ( at least in the US) so if you turn the lights to the off position it does turn all the lights off.

Every car I've owned, even with running lights, had an option to turn all the lights off.
He lost me also...or should I say..."I`m still in the dark"

·
2,258 Posts
i have never hit the lights switch while driving, unintentionally. frankly i want my cars less intrusive, and let ME control the functions. there are times i want to sit in my car, and have the lights OFF, and not be over-ruled by some function that thinks it knows best.

get to know your car. all of the switches, functions, and buttons. it will help you in case of something like this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Canadian vehicles have DRL on by default...they cannot be turned off...it's the law here.

Sounds like he has an issue with his DRL or his vehicle was setup like a US model.

·
Registered
132 Posts
And DRL are High beam, but are not as bright. Just start you vehicle and see if the lights are on when Its running.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Very confused...what exactly is the problem? No need for what you did. Just tell us what is wrong with your SF please. I can't understand your wording...dang Canadian English! lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a 2013 Sante Fe AWD 2.0 T

I just wondered if people are experiencing the same thing. I can be driving at night and hit the lights to off and the lights completely shut off. No running lights that you can see anything. It is completely dark.

Talked with Hyundai people and they say lights are dim on this model but I mean you cannot see a thing. I did this for the first time at 120 km on the highway when the truck was new and was very shocked. I didnt know where all lights were yet and it took me a few seconds to get the lights back on while driving, just thinking how dangerous this is because we literately could not see 2 feet in front of us.

Wondering how Hyundai has not changed this or really thought this is a major safety concern. I talked with great woman at Hyundai Canada and the answer seems to be. Ya our lights suck, deal with it and make sure you dont accidentally turn the lights off when driving or ... good luck....

Anyone else have thoughts,

Cheers,

I do love my truck but never had a car that just can shut all lights off and drive a ghost car..
You kind of lost me - you're in Ontario, thus your Santa Fe must (under law) be equipped with Day Time Running Lights, which turn on when the headlights are OFF and parking break is disengaged. If your vehicle does not comply with this it is in violation of the HTA, unless is was manufactured to be sold in the USA.

Just because they're super dim doesn't mean they're non-existent. Park in front of a window at a store at night, I'm sure you'll notice they're there. You're not meant to drive at night on DRLs only. Every time I see someone driving at night on they're DRLs I be sure to "flash" them to get them to turn on their full head lighting since your [running] taillights are not on while DRLs are on.

dang Canadian English! lol
Please don't play that card. Either he has horrible English skills, or... seeing as he's from Ottawa his primary language may be French and has trouble with the translation. God da*mn 'Mericans lol.

·
Registered
759 Posts

This is in Canada too.

I also live in Ontario, and have the 2.0T AWD... daytime running lights are always on - unless the parking brake is on as others have mentioned.
With that said - DRL are designed to get people's attention during daylight hours, and the lights are pointed up a little higher for that reason (also because they are also your high beams when high beams are engaged).
For this reason, if your DRL are the only thing on at night time, none, or little light is actually hitting the road.
With the Model you have, set the light switch to "AUTO", and you'll never have to worry about it again!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think he probably nodged the turn signal stalk where the park, auto and low beam lines are situated. It can happen, but these are more of human error. As it is, the turn switch can only activate and turn off with physical intrusion. Probably a wrong movement with the wrist. I do not see anything wrong with the design most of the cars have them and don't think it is loosely built as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts