Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started ticking last about a month ago. Now knocking and has a lot of metal in the oil. I expected this car to last a lot longer. Always changed oil at 5000 miles with synthetic. I am thinking about a junk yard motor will cost any were from 900.00 to 1100.00 dollars. It has the manual transmission, does any one know if the engine from a elantra will work or does it have to be from a GT, also will an engine from an auto work in a manual.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Talk to your dealer. A lot of these 1.8L are being replaced under a recall, even above 100K miles. No guarantees, but costs nothing to ask.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
No recall on 1.8 NU engines in USA that I am aware of .. we still sitting on 1 short, missing a few misc piece,,

Hyundai has told us that Elantra engines is expected in June.. and quite possibly come as long block, instead of us building from pieces (to which they only pay a wee bit over an 1hr time more than replace YF Sonata Long Block)

*Yf long block R&R is 8.5,, swap mintake and exhaust, coils, coolant and wiring

* Elantra is short block, bare head (parts swap),, front cover, oil pan, all exterior goods, assemble head to block, timing chain set up, RTV the front cover and oil pan

Be nice if they do send long blocks, be quicker to do job

Reactions: tobidog

·
Registered
379 Posts
No recall on 1.8 NU engines in USA that I am aware of .. we still sitting on 1 short, missing a few misc piece,,

Hyundai has told us that Elantra engines is expected in June.. and quite possibly come as long block, instead of us building from pieces (to which they only pay a wee bit over an 1hr time more than replace YF Sonata Long Block)

*Yf long block R&R is 8.5,, swap mintake and exhaust, coils, coolant and wiring

* Elantra is short block, bare head (parts swap),, front cover, oil pan, all exterior goods, assemble head to block, timing chain set up, RTV the front cover and oil pan

Be nice if they do send long blocks, be quicker to do job

My 2013 Elantra GT 14,000 mile Hyundai Tick of Death motor was replaced with a long block which I requested from the service manager since I thought it was a lifter issue. My shortblock took just over 3 weeks and the head came 2 weeks later. It did not come complete. My original motor was a Korean motor and they replaced it with an dead slow pig of an American motor that is missing 20 hp to my Korean motor. They are suppose to be the same specs. But hp tells the true story.

I used my stethoscope and the lifters were definitely bad. The piston wear/debris must go hand in hand.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts