Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I wanted to share my successful upgrade to an android head unit in my 2015 Santa Fe Limited (with factory infinity stereo). Pictures will be added at a later time.

HW:
1. Uniway AIX459071 IPS display with 2Gb RAM, 32GB storage (plus expandable options)

2. Uniway Android Auto / Apple Carplay dongle

SW:
1. Highly recommended that anyone installing an Android Head Unit consider purchasing "Car Launcher Pro" from the Google Play store. @ $2.99 CDN, it has every customizable feature I wanted to get things working.

2. The USB Android Auto / Carplay dongle requires software support for the app and firmware of the USB itself. The latest version of "AutoplayBox.apk"
can be found here: Download

Desired Specs:
1. Maintain factory Heat/AC controls with ability to display on head unit.
2. Android Auto / Carplay feature.
3. Maintain factory steering wheel controls.
4. Maintain factory reverse camera.
5. Maintain factory Infinity amplifier and subwoofer.

Shipping: My order arrived in Canada in approximately 7 business day via DHL. Customs fees and tax were ~$95.

Caution: The seller responds quickly to questions, however, be advised that the Aliexpress "price guarantee" is a load of crap. If you're interested in the head unit, I would suggest monitoring the price for a week or so. I've noticed a ~$100 difference in price on a day to day basis. If you ask for a refund in price difference, the seller will direct you to Aliexpress and vice versa. The seller will also threaten to discontinue support, including warranty if you file a dispute with Aliexpress over price guarantee.

Outcome:
1. Install was plug and play. Be careful that the pins do not bend as your plug in the adapters... it happens quite easily!
2. The CANBUS adapter allows the Heat/AC controls to be visible on screen (Yay for the Santa Fe Limited edition owners)
3. Reverse Camera is plug and play (still working on getting the Green/Yellow/Red lines as opposed to Orange.
4. Steering wheel controls were very easy to customize. I use the mute button as a link to the radio app and the mode button for switching back to Android Auto.
5. The factory amplifier and subwoofer work without issue. There is a setting within the EQ to adjust the power to the amplifier as well.
6. Android Auto / Carplay dongle works very well with the latest firmware. My only complaint right now is likely a SW issue or a data transfer issue... when I am using Google Maps for Navigation, if I have Spotify running at the same time, I will see a screen flicker every once in a while when I change songs and the white notification bar pops up to display the new song name. I'm confident this will no longer be a problem with the new Android Auto update coming this summer.

Quality:(Pro's and Con's)
1. The screen quality is great and using the Car Launcher Pro allows me to customize the brightness based on the ambient lighting within the vehicle.
2. Packaging was perfect upon delivery and the wiring supplied was quite self explanatory.
3. The fit/finish after installation was good. The screen fits well with the air vents (they clip right onto the new head unit).
4. My only small complaint would be the fit of the space filling storage slot (no worry if you have the separate display for Heat/AC). It installs easily, but it is not perfectly square with the edges of the dash.
5. Install modification - add a thicker gauge ground wire to the harness(s). After my initial installation I could hear a faint buzzing through the speakers without any additional noise present. The multiple harnesses used during install all splice into the same small gauge ground wire. Adding a thicker gauge wire and grounding it right to the metal frame behind the head unit solved this problem for the most part. I still hear a small amount of buzzing if its dead quiet and the amplifier power control is turned up to max.
6. USB - The head unit comes with an adapter to maintain the OEM USB1.1 control. It also adds 2 additional USB 2.0 from the rear. They are plugged in with a unique harness and converted to USB, therefor it is unable to be upgraded to USB 3.0/3.1. (use one of the rear USB 2.0 for connecting the AA/Carplay dongle for maximum data transfer speed)
7. Boot time: takes 30-40 seconds to boot to the Car Launcher home screen. There is a setting where you can put the head unit on standby for 10min, 30min, 60min, etc, which is extremely helpful if you stop quickly for gas and want it to boot instantly within the preset time frame. (There is no option for indefinite standby like some other units)

Cost:
Total cost for me was somewhere in the range of $600 CDN after shipping and Customs/Tax.

Let me know if you have any questions!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^^ What a stupid forum rule... can't edit your post after ~10 minutes..

Here are some pics of the head unit. Also worth noting that the HVAC screen always shows an ext temp of 86*C, but I don't think global warming is quite there yet...

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
This would totally void our OEM warranty here.

We have the factory 10-year 100,000 mile manufacturer warranty plus dealer doubling to 20-year 200,000 file warranty.

It would also eliminate the free 3-year Blue Link services on our SFS 2.0T Ultimate.

Congrats on your gutting your head system, but no thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This would totally void our OEM warranty here.

We have the factory 10-year 100,000 mile manufacturer warranty plus dealer doubling to 20-year 200,000 file warranty.

It would also eliminate the free 3-year Blue Link services on our SFS 2.0T Ultimate.

Congrats on your gutting your head system, but no thanks.
I'm not sure where you are, but warranties don't work like that here. Of course they wouldn't cover anything I've replaced, but swapping the head unit wont void let's say the transmission....

In Canada we were not so fortunate to receive Bluelink, due to our cell service providers refusing to allow Hyundai access to their networks at a reasonable cost.

As I described in my post, there were certain things I was interested in obtaining; mostly the Android Auto capability for Navigation and Spotify. In my opinion the OEM navigation is ok, but forking over $300 CDN for each map upgrade seems outrageous. I much prefer having the real time navigation through Google Maps or Waze and being able to use Google Assistant hands free while driving.

There have been a number of threads on this forum asking about android head unit swaps into the Limited/Ultimate editions of the Santa Fe, hopefully this info will help those individuals out. Too each their own!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for your update on the new Chinese head unit. I have the tech package with the Factory navigation & climate control displayed. Considering a similar swap as you, but have’t heard anything from anyone about how good these Chinese unit’s are. Good to know there are plug & play upgrades out there. Blessings.

·
Registered
722 Posts
In the U.S...it would void the OEM warranty, not to mention any supplemental one on not only the head unit itself...but any decides aligned with the onboard menu settings/maintenance.

Hardly. It's not an automatic voiding of the warranty. Else Crutchfield and practically ever other OEM electronics store would go out of business. Only if it's determined that what you did broke something, can they void the warranty (ie, you improperly grounded something and it started a fire in the vehicle, etc.)

https://nationalautosound.com/magnuson-moss-warranty-protection-act/

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hardly. It's not an automatic voiding of the warranty. Else Crutchfield and practically ever other OEM electronics store would go out of business. Only if it's determined that what you did broke something, can they void the warranty (ie, you improperly grounded something and it started a fire in the vehicle, etc.)
Since the head units extend well beyond the audio aspects of the vehicle...yes...installing 3rd party products can easily invalidate the warranty. Hopefully no one with one of these non-standard units ever has a major failure with their engine or other component...as they'll learn this the hard way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since the head units extend well beyond the audio aspects of the vehicle...yes...installing 3rd party products can easily invalidate the warranty. Hopefully no one with one of these non-standard units ever has a major failure with their engine or other component...as they'll learn this the hard way.
I think you are somewhat misinformed. You obviously have no intent to complete this modification, but I would advise others to check with their dealer if they are concerned.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think you are somewhat misinformed. You obviously have no intent to complete this modification, but I would advise others to check with their dealer if they are concerned.
Actually...the information I've posted regarding warranty invalidation is coming right from a Hyundai dealership GM. I wrote down word for word what he said. He's not misinformed.

Showed him the thread...he rolled his eyes, and then stated "that person will need more than luck getting any engine or electronics work done under warranty from any Hyundai dealership. Those kinds of 3rd party products are not supported, repaired, or even replaced under warranty."

Seems pretty clear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually...the information I've posted regarding warranty invalidation is coming right from a Hyundai dealership GM. I wrote down word for word what he said. He's not misinformed.

Showed him the thread...he rolled his eyes, and then stated "that person will need more than luck getting any engine or electronics work done under warranty from any Hyundai dealership. Those kinds of 3rd party products are not supported, repaired, or even replaced under warranty."

Seems pretty clear.
Sounds like your dealership would be just as annoying to deal with as you are... I'm glad our service centers have common sense and follow the proper warranty guidelines. YMMV

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sounds like your dealership would be just as annoying to deal with as you are... I'm glad our service centers have common sense and follow the proper warranty guidelines. YMMV
OK - knock off with the insults.

Promoting something that can invalidate a warranty does no Hyundai owner any good. If the vehicle is past its warranty that's one thing...but for anyone else...this helps no one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
...Seems pretty clear.
Hardly. Aside from the fact that in the US, some states have enacted legislation to provide specific consumer protections, thus there is no blanket "here in the US, it works like this..." statement that is valid, there is also the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that would largely prevent manufacturers limiting coverage in the way you suggest.

The fact that the entertainment system provides controls to components of the vehicle outside the unit itself would only result in a warranty denial if it was shown that the use of the entertainment system had caused the damage the warranty claim had been made for.

A previous poster made the entirely correct point that there could hardly be such a blossoming market for after-market entertainment systems if your dealer's statement was true. Not only that, but this, and every other forum covering thousands of makes and models of cars, would be full of posts about warranty denials resulting from after-market entertainment system installations. Oddly, I haven't seen such an avalanche.

If I got that advice from a car dealer, I'd be looking for a new dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK - knock off with the insults.

Promoting something that can invalidate a warranty does no Hyundai owner any good. If the vehicle is past its warranty that's one thing...but for anyone else...this helps no one.
Quit acting like a keyboard warrior who knows everything. I only posted this thread 4 days ago.. the likelihood of you having been to a dealer already, showed them this thread and then "rolled your eyes" together like a teenage girls, is quite low. On the other hand, the likelihood that you are just trolling this page behind the cover of your anonymity, thinking you are correct, is at a much higher probability. Completing this install will not automatically void your entire car's warranty... BUT, I would still encourage anyone interested to check with THEIR local dealership if they have concerns. Don't listen to this goof - Hyundaifan0001

·
Registered
116 Posts
First off I want to thank Liquid2K for posting this information. It's good to know because my wife's car is getting up there in miles (120K) and this would be a nice addition if her head unit fails.

On a side note, I believe Hyundaifan2001 brings up an excellent point that I never expected....Here's the Hyundai warranty information:

"What is not covered by the Hyundai Warranty?
Hyundai New Car Warranty does not cover failure to maintain the vehicle in line with Hyundai's scheduled service requirements, normal wear and tear, consumable components or defects attributed to the use of non genuine parts and accessories.

Please refer to the General Exceptions section of your Hyundai Service Passport for more detail.

I need to research this more as it's an interesting scenario.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quit acting like a keyboard warrior who knows everything. I only posted this thread 4 days ago.. the likelihood of you having been to a dealer already, showed them this thread and then "rolled your eyes" together like a teenage girls, is quite low.
Read the post above from cessna152flyboy. His information confirms what you easily could have found yourself.

That also confirms what was verbally stated in my post. I had routine maintenance (synthetic oil change) done on my 2018 vehicle since you started your risky recommendation thread.

Your advice puts Hyundai owners at risk with their warranty protection. Instead of insulting people, you should be regrouping to understand the facts and probable negative effect of your original and subsequent posts on this topic.

Again...if someone is past their warranty - have at it...otherwise...no one should seriously consider your suggested alteration.

·
Registered
441 Posts
This is the element of warranty coverage that HyundaiFan2001's dealership got very distinctly wrong.
Read it again...this confirms exactly what the dealer GM said - by using 3rd party stuff (" defects attributed to the use of non genuine parts and accessories" , you risk your warranty protection. That would seem to be quite clear.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts