Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I would like to install a wireless front-view camera and it needs a constant 12v source. The manual says I could connect to DRL. I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to car mods/repairs. Does anyone know of an easiest way to hook it up?

Thank you.

-A

·
Registered
10 Posts
there are a bunch of different connectors for the ODB plug under the steering wheel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Curiosity got the best of me. I went out and measured the spare fuses.One of them is hot at all times, another goes hot when the ignition is ON.
See the attached pic for details.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Something I discovered while trying to take voltage measurements...the metal bracket holding the fuse box and OBDII connector...is not a good ground, It's bolted to plastic. I couldn't get any voltage reading while using the bracket as the ground terminal. It was only after I found a bolt that was attached to the body that I was able to get any measurements.
Keep this in mind when grounding your camera. While you can get your 12V constant from the fuse box, you can't take your ground from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Something I discovered while trying to take voltage measurements...the metal bracket holding the fuse box and OBDII connector...is not a good ground, It's bolted to plastic. I couldn't get any voltage reading while using the bracket as the ground terminal. It was only after I found a bolt that was attached to the body that I was able to get any measurements.
Keep this in mind when grounding your camera. While you can get your 12V constant from the fuse box, you can't take your ground from there.
This is very helpful. Thank you. What do you think would be the best way to attach the ground wire from the camera to something like this bolt you found or any other part of the body? Would I use something like an alligator clip?

·
Registered
37 Posts
A fuse tap is handy for adding circuits. This one comes with 5 amp fuse. I can't imagine a camera needing a bigger fuse than that. If you are using the spare fuse slot, don't put a fuse in the bottom slot and crimp your + camera wire into the crimp connector. If you are plugging in to a circuit with an existing fuse, plug the fuse you take out into the bottom slot.
As far as the ground goes. There should be existing ground points that have multiple grounds under a screw or bolt that attaches to the body but any screw or bolt that attaches to the metal body should do. I would crimp a spade lug to the camera ground wire and find a ground point, loosen the bolt or screw and put your spade lug under it and re-tighten. Llternatively you could just strip back the ground wire, wrap it around the bolt or screw and re-tighten it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This might not be what you are looking for, but I just tucked the power cord for my dashcam under the trim of the windscreen, and used some cable management stickies to run under the dashboard to the cigarette/usb output. This of course means that the camera is off when I turn the car off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, me being a car "dummy", I didn't realize there was already a fuse box under the hood, so I don't have to run the wire into the cabin. I'd have to test the fuses to see which one would be suitable (I imagine the DRL would work).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, me being a car "dummy", I didn't realize there was already a fuse box under the hood, so I don't have to run the wire into the cabin. I'd have to test the fuses to see which one would be suitable (I imagine the DRL would work).
I assumed that you were installing the camera in the cabin. Could you post the make and model of the camera you are using. Where do you plan on mounting it? You initially said you need a 12 volt constant source. DRL is not constant and is in the cabin fuse box. If you are wiring under the hood and need a 12 volt constant source you could connect to the battery. Make sure the camera has it's own fuse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I assumed that you were installing the camera in the cabin. Could you post the make and model of the camera you are using. Where do you plan on mounting it? You initially said you need a 12 volt constant source. DRL is not constant and is in the cabin fuse box. If you are wiring under the hood and need a 12 volt constant source you could connect to the battery. Make sure the camera has it's own fuse.
This is the camera:

I'm mounting it on the license plate.

So, there's a fuse box under the hood, so it's a matter of testing which one has constant 12v when ignition is on I imagine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is the camera:

I'm mounting it on the license plate.

So, there's a fuse box under the hood, so it's a matter of testing which one has constant 12v when ignition is on I imagine.
12v constant means ALWAYS on. "constant 12v when ignition is on" means switched 12 volt.
Do you want the camera to shut off when the ignition goes off? I'm thinking that's what you want.
As far as I know the power outlet fuse is a switched 12 volt source. Test it to be sure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Curiosity got the best of me...again.
Here's what I found in the underhood fuse box.
There are a whole column of constant +12 volt pins.
2 ECU fuses are switched +12 Volt. These are on when on accessory and when the engine is running.
3 fuses are switched +12 Volt. These are on when the engine is running.
I attached a marked up pic of the fuse box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2 ECU fuses are switched +12 Volt. These are on when on accessory and when the engine is running.
View attachment 458435
Wow again. You're doing all the work for me!!!! Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
View attachment 458435
Just wanted to let you know that the installation was successful. Thank you again for your help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts