Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a new battery, and drove for a few days without problems. Today it won't start, just clicks when turning the key. Tried a battery jumpstarter I have (which is fully charged), and that's not starting it. Again, I just hear a single click when turning the key.

Any ideas what might be going on, anything I can check before bringing it in to a mechanic? Also, would prefer to drive it in if possible to avoid towing.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If the battery is new then that suggests the starter/ starter solenoid is likely suspect. If the starter is easily accessible sometimes a couple of light taps on solenoid may free it if only temporary to indicate that's the problem or you have dirty or hugh resistance on the battery terminals or even bad connector at the solenoid wire. All are possibilities.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the battery is new then that suggests the starter/ starter solenoid is likely suspect. If the starter is easily accessible sometimes a couple of light taps on solenoid may free it if only temporary to indicate that's the problem or you have dirty or hugh resistance on the battery terminals or even bad connector at the solenoid wire. All are possibilities.
Thanks for the reply; I'll try tapping on the solenoid. Battery terminals are pretty clean; I used a wire brush and baking soda solution before replacing battery.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Failing that I think the starer may need to come and and be checked, there may even be broken parts inside, I think often the part driven by the solenoid onto the armature could be plastic. been a long time since I've had a starter go on me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, yeah, must be starter related. I noticed there's a fuse for the starter--one of the larger plastic box-shaped ones, and am having trouble removing it--do you need a tool for that? I can't get a grip with pliers, and can't remove it with my fingers...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't suppose you have a multimeter and can do some simple measurements.
I'd be willing to get one.

Also, I managed to remove the starter relay (not fuse I think), but realized there's apparently no way to see if it's blown or not--would that be a good place to start, get a new relay?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Oh and the main starter high current circuit won't have a fuse but the solenoid will and unless it's bolted in that may be your problem. A high resistance in the fuse will cause enough voltage drop to prevent the solenoid working properly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh and the main starter high current circuit won't have a fuse but the solenoid will and unless it's bolted in that may be your problem. A high resistance in the fuse will cause enough voltage drop to prevent the solenoid working properly.
In the engine fusebox there's a relay called "start."

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,296 Posts
Why was the original battery replaced? Were you having problems starting the engine with that battery too?
When you attempt to start the engine you say it clicks. What clicks? Does the click come from the engine/starter motor or is it the START relay on the engine fusebox that is clicking?
Does the car have an auto or manual gearbox?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Yes that's the starter relay. Manufacturers started fitting them to overcome the problem your having. Not say that's your problem yet. You should hear and feel it click when you try to crank the car. If you get a voltage drop in that circuit you will end up getting a no crank situation. If you can get hold of a multimeter you can start doing some simple tests.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why was the original battery replaced? Were you having problems starting the engine with that battery too?
When you attempt to start the engine you say it clicks. What clicks? Does the click come from the engine/starter motor or is it the START relay on the engine fusebox that is clicking?
Does the car have an auto or manual gearbox?
I replaced the battery because it was at least 5 or 6 years old, and the car needed to be jumped a few times recently, although that may have been because the dome light was left on all night--I've not closed the driver door all the way a few times, which left the light on.

I'm not sure exactly where the click is coming from--I don't have another person now to stand at the engine, and I can't tell from the driver's seat. Gearbox is auto.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes that's the starter relay. Manufacturers started fitting them to overcome the problem your having. Not say that's your problem yet. You should hear and feel it click when you try to crank the car. If you get a voltage drop in that circuit you will end up getting a no crank situation. If you can get hold of a multimeter you can start doing some simple tests.
Is there a video or article online that will go through the multimeter troubleshooting?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it possible new relay might solve the issue? I pulled the starter relay, and can't find a local replacement (checking online auto parts stores). I found it at Amazon, same numbers, but the four letter at bottom are different--anyone know what those letters mean?

IMG_20191028_141306.jpg Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 2.49.44 PM.png

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,296 Posts
Just swap the START relay with one of the others on the fusebox (HORN perhaps) and see if that cures the problem. If not it's not a faulty relay.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
This may or may not help.
Look for another relay on the car that's the same and swap them over to eliminate a faulty relay problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Autospark and charlescrown; good idea, I tried it, didn't work; guess that rules out relay being bad.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,577 Posts
Try bypassing the starter relay.
Wire from the battery positive to the solenoid on the starter should crank engine
This bypass test should tell you if starter is issue or not.

If you know how to do this at the starter relay socket this would eliminate other things
However, warning, if you don't then you could possibly blow out the ECU.
So, don't try if you don't know.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If it ran fine for a few days after a new battery then died, maybe it's a charging problem. The new battery had enough capacity for a few days, but was running at a loss, using more energy than putting back into storage. Have you checked the output of the alternator? I know you said you tried one of those jumpstarts, but cheap ones, may not be up to the task of assisting a really dead battery. Try fully charging the new battery with a proper charger, or jumping from a running car. If it does start, i would suspect a charging issue. Just a thought. good luck.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts