Hyundai Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 1200miles on the new car, I was on the freeway in Pa heading west with miles, & miles, of open land, doing about 75 when a late model 200hp Impala came by, and passed me then pulled in front, & slowed down, sorta dissing my car, so I kicked down & blew by him then continued on my way, gradually settling back to speed in the right lane, with this he blew by me, and I hesitated for a minute, then decided to chase him, I was closing the distance, when all of a sudden at 110mph the Tucson just refused to go any faster!? a quick glance at the tach, but not making much of a note of it, it looked like somewhere around 5k rpm? Is this some kind of governor? speed limiter? It sure felt like there was plenty more to go but, it just stayed hung there at 110mph? :puzzled: :mad:

If anything, from what I read, I thought at least 120mph might have been a speed limiter setting?

Passing at highway speed it's like a rocket, but if that's it's top speed, it's like suddenly becoming impotent when really needed!? :mad:

·
Registered
71 Posts
QUOTE (MikDee @ Jun 1 2010, 03:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328526
If anything, from what I read, I thought at least 120mph might have been a speed limiter setting?

Passing at highway speed it's like a rocket, but if that's it's top speed, it's like suddenly becoming impotent when really needed!? :mad:
You have to remember that this CUV was purposefully built for efficiency, not power and speed. Furthermore, it wouldn't surprise me if they put a speed limiter on it, given it's high center of gravity and potential roll over danger at high speeds.

·
Registered
90 Posts
All motor vehicles in the US are federally mandated to a limit of 187 mph from the factory. Those last 3 words are important, because it can be bypassed. Most liter class sport bikes for example, can reach that speed right off the showroom floor.

More than likely, 110 is just all you could get due to try to push a brick on wheels through the air. The faster you go, the more power it takes to go that fast as air builds up in front of whatever it is you are trying to move.

If the pedal was to the floor then yep, that's all you had.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (pen411 @ Jun 22 2010, 01:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335254
All motor vehicles in the US are federally mandated to a limit of 187 mph from the factory. Those last 3 words are important, because it can be bypassed. Most liter class sport bikes for example, can reach that speed right off the showroom floor.

More than likely, 110 is just all you could get due to try to push a brick on wheels through the air. The faster you go, the more power it takes to go that fast as air builds up in front of whatever it is you are trying to move.

If the pedal was to the floor then yep, that's all you had.
No, No, No, My 2005 LX Tucson with the V6 could top that easily, I don't even know if there was a rev limiter on that, and this engine appears to rev even more freely to 6k. At that speed I wasn't there very long when I saw it seemed to stumble, & fall flat on its face? I wasn't really paying attention to the tach, but I doubt it was anywhere near 6k in 6th (top gear)? All I know is it appeared like there was plenty more pedal, but she wouldn't go no mo!? :puzzled:

·
Registered
90 Posts
My guess based on that description then would be you hit the speed limiter set by Hyundai or just had an engine issue

·
Registered
316 Posts
QUOTE (MikDee @ Jun 1 2010, 03:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328526
It sure felt like there was plenty more to go but, it just stayed hung there at 110mph? :puzzled: :mad:

Not sure I get the complaint...when was the last time you passed someone that you needed 110
mph+, or at that speed you needed "more"?

I have 2 other cars, one of which will get to ~170, and motorcycles that will put my eyeballs back
in my head, but I've never "needed" 110+, here in the US. Fun on the Autobahn, jail time here, imo.
GL, mD

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (motordavid @ Jun 22 2010, 10:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335408
Not sure I get the complaint...when was the last time you passed someone that you needed 110
mph+, or at that speed you needed "more"?

I have 2 other cars, one of which will get to ~170, and motorcycles that will put my eyeballs back
in my head, but I've never "needed" 110+, here in the US. Fun on the Autobahn, jail time here, imo.
GL, mD
Well MD, I'm sure you would be perturbed if your other cars, & motorcycle would not do the clock, if required, after buying them for their performance. Besides, I don't have the luxury anymore of having supercars like yours.

I don't know about you, but where I live in rural Pa. on the freeway Rte#84 you can go for miles, & miles, just seeing virgin rolling hills, 65-75 sometimes seem like you're standing still, but I usually follow that, a lot of long distance travelers don't.

I had my chance to test out the limits of the Tuc, so I took it, for my curiousity, and anyone else here that might be interested. Needless to say, I was disappointed knowing the Tuc has the potential, but couldn't deliver, compared to my previous 2005 Tuc. The acceleration was great for what it is, but appeared to stall at 110, but it could hold that speed, and there was more pedal left.

I would guess that there is a speed limiter set to 110mph, in regards to the top rated limit on the S-rated tires (110mph).
I feel a bit betrayed, because I want all the horsepower I have paid for!

I had a 57' Chevy stick 6 that would do 110mph at least, when I was a kid, and that was way back in the early 60's when tires weren't even rated.

Okay, I was really trying to impress the guy in the Impala, that not only is the Tucson good looking, & good handling, but zippy, & peppy, as well, and he couldn't shake me off so easily,,, I was pacing him just fine, but that all came to a screeching halt when I hit the speed limiter!

Most people look down on Hyundai, like my cousin who has a brand new 2010 Super Sport Camaro, who doesn't even consider mine as a real car,,, but, of course it's not his D.D. (daily driver) like mine, being stuck up in the hills of rural Pa. needing AWD, & fuel economy. He won't even lower himself to take a ride in the Tuc, it's quite unnerving!

I know it's not a world beater but it is the best thing I own now for the buck! It is the perfect combination of size, performance, handling, utility, & fuel efficiency for what it is. You can't beat that advantageous 6 speed tranny, but from highway driving this wknd, it appears to run out of breath some while passing at highway speeds, like my old Tucson, but hey, I guess that's to be expected being built for economy.

·
Registered
316 Posts
QUOTE (MikDee @ Jun 24 2010, 02:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335868
Well MD, I'm sure you would be perturbed if your other cars, & motorcycle would not do the clock, if required, after buying them for their performance. Besides, I don't have the luxury anymore of having supercars like yours. ...

...I had my chance to test out the limits of the Tuc, so I took it, for my curiousity, and anyone else here that might be interested. Needless to say, I was disappointed knowing the Tuc has the potential, but couldn't deliver, compared to my previous 2005 Tuc. The acceleration was great for what it is, but appeared to stall at 110, but it could hold that speed, and there was more pedal left.

...I would guess that there is a speed limiter set to 110mph, in regards to the top rated limit on the S-rated tires (110mph).
I feel a bit betrayed, because I want all the horsepower I have paid for!

...I know it's not a world beater but it is the best thing I own now for the buck! It is the perfect combination of size, performance, handling, utility, & fuel efficiency for what it is. You can't beat that advantageous 6 speed tranny, but from highway driving this wknd, it appears to run out of breath some while passing at highway speeds, like my old Tucson, but hey, I guess that's to be expected being built for economy.
MikDee, I was not doing the my car is faster than yours deal. Sorry if I gave that impression...
I suspect it does have a limiter as almost all cars do these days. As for doing the "clock", I have
had a considerable & electic batch of cars and m'cycles over the years, and none has ever been
able to peg the stock speedo, lol! That includes my current Honda Hurricane 1000 and my '02 Vette.

The speedo is layed out for looks and usually to put ~60 mph near the 12 o'clock point on the face;
the designers fill in the rest of the "clock" with deliriously optimistic high numbers.

I agree with all your post, esp. the Tuck being, thus far, good bang for the buck and a good value.
My wife loves her new car and it makes her previous '03 Honda CR-V seem like a 3rd world car, by comparo.
Best Regards, mD

·
Registered
9 Posts
They have to cut corners somewhere to sell the car so cheap #1 the brakes are tiny and feel it, God forbid you need to stop at such a high speed #2 the tires are probably rated for 110mph, so imagine you drive the car continuously at 120mph and a tire blows up and you die. Hyundai gets sued and wins for equiping the car with tires that were not adequate.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you have a CONSTANT problem of people pulling in front of you, then downshifting to slow down, I have a buddy who keeps a toy shotgun in his passenger floorboard. He just pulls it out & starts slowly loading the little plastic shells into it. They'll take off so fast you won't need to prove anything. Personally, I think it's a bit juvenile, but my boy claims it gives quite a sense of satisfaction. My personal preference is my patented "slowly pass you, make you speed up, bang up in front of you, then brake check you." My truck has a 1/2" thick steam pipe for a rear bumper. It has been rear-ended 7 times, it has totaled 7 cars, and it has never been to a body shop itself.

Also, I haven't tried my Sonata yet, but my 80hp truck will do well over 110mph, so your Tucson should be able to. Must be a speed limiter.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (Andreas van dem Helge @ Jul 6 2010, 02:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339151
They have to cut corners somewhere to sell the car so cheap #1 the brakes are tiny and feel it, God forbid you need to stop at such a high speed #2 the tires are probably rated for 110mph, so imagine you drive the car continuously at 120mph and a tire blows up and you die. Hyundai gets sued and wins for equiping the car with tires that were not adequate.
Are you kidding? These brakes are bigger then the previous generation Tucson, they look like 11" Discs, but I don't know for sure?

Anyway, I had a hair raising opportunity to test those brakes recently, I was traveling about 50mph locally on a 2 lane rd. coming around a curve, leading to a slight hillcrest, reaching the top of it, all of a sudden a family of Geese were walking spread out sideways across my lane :eek: they appeared to be about 50 feet away, and I was picturing wearing them all across my front end, and feathers everywhere! When I suddenly hit the brakes for all they were worth! There was a noise like ABS engaging (even though it was warm, clear, & dry out) and to my shock, surprise, & amazement, the Tucson came to a dead stop just in time! The geese started to flee, but not fast enough, but maybe that gave me a millisecond extra margin of safety, But, after I stopped they waddled off onto the grass, I'm sure that they all must have almost had heart failure like I did.
I never would have believed the Tucson could stop that fast, & short, till it happened to me. I was concerned that I might have broken something by stepping on them so hard, & fast, but everything seems normal again, none the worse for wear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well to be honest I don't own the car yet. But during the test drive the brakes seemed very small visually. Do all the models have the same brake setup? Also, my reference points are pretty skewed. The Tucson is replacing a Lexus RX350, and I drive a BMW 5-series, both of which are probably heavier cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clearly, you're completely self centered if you think it's a good idea to race people on the highway. What about other motorists? What about the children or infants in their cars? I suppose it's their responsibility to look out for your speeding car? It doesn't matter if the road was "clear" in your opinion, you have no idea what's ahead of you at those kinds of speeds. It doesn't even matter if your the greatest race car driver in the world, the greatest drivers in the world would tell you to keep that BS on a track and away from other motorists on public roads.

I hope you get arrested. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (matic @ Jul 6 2010, 04:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339295
Clearly, you're completely self centered if you think it's a good idea to race people on the highway. What about other motorists? What about the children or infants in their cars? I suppose it's their responsibility to look out for your speeding car It doesn't matter if the road was "clear" in your opinion, you have no idea what's ahead of you at those kinds of speeds. It doesn't even matter if your the greatest race car driver in the world, the greatest drivers in the world would tell you to keep that BS on a track and away from other motorists on public roads.

I hope you get arrested. :thumbsup:
matic,
If you read what I wrote, I did the right thing, I took it on the interstate in rural Pa. and I was only following his lead. The traffic direction was split by a wide (wooded) mall in between, and I could see for miles in both directions, we were cruising 75-80 to start as was the average speed for the traffic out there, except when being passed by travelers in a hurry, doing 100+mph. It was not in your local neighborhood, or on secondary roads!

I want you to know, I don't do this on a regular basis, but I like to get to know my vehicle once in awhile, and this was the perfect opportunity. I'm not a reckless teenager, I've been driving for many yrs. and know my skills, and my limits. I don't know about you, but it's not the 1st time I've driven that fast in a car, back in 1970 I had my new 69' Dodge Charger R/T up to 140mph on a well known unused section of beach parkway to test it out, but even that seems tame hearing some people I know claim they had their Bike, Camaro, or Vette, up to 160+

I should get arrested?
Me self centered? By the way, I think you're self centered by appointing yourself as "Holier then thou!" not knowing all the facts, but shooting your mouth off, and being a "Johnny come lately" stirring up trouble, when I thought this post was well laid to rest for weeks now.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (MikDee @ Jul 6 2010, 10:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339389
I should get arrested?
Me self centered? By the way, I think you're self centered by appointing yourself as "Holier then thou!" not knowing all the facts, but shooting your mouth off, and being a "Johnny come lately" stirring up trouble, when I thought this post was well laid to rest for weeks now.
Sorry dude, but I also agree that you are self-centered and should be arrested. Chasing cars on public highways for "dissing" your ride is absolutely ridiculous, as is bragging about it on the internet. Parents and other responsible people have every right to call you out. Try to take it like a grownup.

As for others being "holier than thou", let me share a thought. Someday a guy just like me - a 200-pound karate black belt with a bigger and more powerful car than yours - will confront you in a parking lot wanting to know why you just blew past his children at 110 mph. At that moment in your life, there won't be any preaching or debating. It'll just be some guy looking to reform your attitude, and my guess is that he will succeed. Why not save yourself the trouble and make some changes now? :57:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (Don67 @ Jul 9 2010, 02:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340284
Sorry dude, but I also agree that you are self-centered and should be arrested. Chasing cars on public highways for "dissing" your ride is absolutely ridiculous, as is bragging about it on the internet. Parents and other responsible people have every right to call you out. Try to take it like a grownup.

As for others being "holier than thou", let me share a thought. Someday a guy just like me - a 200-pound karate black belt with a bigger and more powerful car than yours - will confront you in a parking lot wanting to know why you just blew past his children at 110 mph. At that moment in your life, there won't be any preaching or debating. It'll just be some guy looking to reform your attitude, and my guess is that he will succeed. Why not save yourself the trouble and make some changes now? :57:

I guess you can't comprehend the situation, or geography either, not anywhere near kids, nor in your back yard either, he instituted it, I just followed his lead, and No I wasn't bragging about it, I was stating a fact that after paying 26k (which is a lot of money for me) for a new car it has a speed limiter on it in high gear, but will reach redline in the lower gears, is ridiculous!, Plus, I'll say it again, I don't drive it like that all the time, I was only testing it out, in the boonies and the conditions were right, at the time, If you have a problem with that it's your issue not mine!
Can we just drop this subject now?

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (MikDee @ Jul 6 2010, 12:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339249
There was a noise like ABS engaging (even though it was warm, clear, & dry out)
It's completely possible to lock the wheels on any car, regardless of road conditions, that's why ABS was invented.
A locked wheel offers zero control and minimal braking, a rolling one can still offer steering inputs and substantial braking.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.