Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1100 miles on my Azera. The oil is black. Moreso than any oil I have ever seen. Any others with this experience?

It is going straight to dealer tomorrow .

Jeff

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
The color of the oil means nothing other than it is doing its job, removing dirt and contaminants from the engine. A newer engine is still running in and everything is seating so it may get dirty faster than a worn-in engine does.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. This is not my first GDI engine. In fact I have owned 6 of them before this one. None of them exhibited this dirty oil after such little mileage.

My daughter has an Elantra with GDI. It is overdue for an oil change and oil still looks like honey.

The dealer said exactly what y'all have been saying. I thought maybe it was because of standard oil vs synthetic. I have used nothing but synthetic for 12 years.

I asked to have oil changed with synthetic, but the dealer said to wait at least 3 oil changes before doing so.

Not going to sweat it. Will do as they say. The thing runs great and is not burning oil.

Thanks all for your feedback.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would like to hear their reasoning for that. :rolleyes: :confused:
Old School thinking, Syn oil is too slick for new bearings and such.

No reason to not do it before even starting the motor for first time.

I dont think the reason for the oil getting black has anything to do with a proper running GDI or any other type of engine.

I think it has more to do with the oil and how it was formulated.

I use motorcraft in my ford and it is still not toally black at 5K miles but have seen Quakerstate turn black in a couple of 1000 miles.

A GDI engine runs pretty lean and therefore runs hotter but any modern engine runs lean compared to cars 10 years ago.

As long as the oil does not smell like gasoline and normal consumption there should be no issue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Old School thinking, Syn oil is too slick for new bearings and such.

No reason to not do it before even starting the motor for first time.

I dont think the reason for the oil getting black has anything to do with a proper running GDI or any other type of engine.

I think it has more to do with the oil and how it was formulated.

I use motorcraft in my ford and it is still not toally black at 5K miles but have seen Quakerstate turn black in a couple of 1000 miles.

A GDI engine runs pretty lean and therefore runs hotter but any modern engine runs lean compared to cars 10 years ago.

As long as the oil does not smell like gasoline and normal consumption there should be no issue.
My thoughts exactly. How many of you have had a synthetic oil go black on you in a couple thousand miles? Just curious.

·
Registered
749 Posts
My thoughts exactly. How many of you have had a synthetic oil go black on you in a couple thousand miles? Just curious.
I don't have an azera, rather a '12 accent. by 3000 miles the oil is dark as can be. I changed over to Mobil 1 full syn @ 1k and have run it ever since (@ 27k now).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The oil is just doing it's job. Not to worry. I really think it has something to do with the direct injection system.
I hear ya, but why does the oil on my other cars ( new included ) look golden after 5000 miles? It is doing its' job too.

Dark oil = dirt in oil. Clean oil = no dirt in oil.

I checked my oil before I left the house this morning. It was tar black. I drove to work and checked it again. It was much much cleaner. Still dirty but you could see thru it to some extent.

Makes me wonder about efficacy of the oil filter, especially if Mobil 1 is getting black in your Accent.

My Elantra is still golden before and after oil change.

I understand that it seems to be the norm with our Azera's, but when i took auto mechanics, it was time to change the oil when the oil was dirty. Dirt is the enemy. If the oil is dirty very quickly, there must be more of it available to contaminmate the oil.

Talk to me goose. I'm not buying that oil should get dirty this fast. Have owned over 25 cars and have NEVER seen this before after only 1000mi.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Interesting. This is not my first GDI engine. In fact I have owned 6 of them before this one. None of them exhibited this dirty oil after such little mileage.

My daughter has an Elantra with GDI. It is overdue for an oil change and oil still looks like honey.

The dealer said exactly what y'all have been saying. I thought maybe it was because of standard oil vs synthetic. I have used nothing but synthetic for 12 years.

I asked to have oil changed with synthetic, but the dealer said to wait at least 3 oil changes before doing so.

Not going to sweat it. Will do as they say. The thing runs great and is not burning oil.

Thanks all for your feedback.
Elantra's as of '13 and prior in N/A do not have GDI engines.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I don't understand about no synthetic oil for 3 oil changes. Many cars today, especially high performance engines come off the factory line with synthetic.

When my Santa Fe had 1,800 miles I changed the oil and went synthetic. That was 102,000 miles ago. Today the engine is more quiet than when it was brand new and uses no oil.

In my opinion, you should go synthetic at your first oil change.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I hear ya, but why does the oil on my other cars ( new included ) look golden after 5000 miles? It is doing its' job too.

Dark oil = dirt in oil. Clean oil = no dirt in oil.

I checked my oil before I left the house this morning. It was tar black. I drove to work and checked it again. It was much much cleaner. Still dirty but you could see thru it to some extent.

Makes me wonder about efficacy of the oil filter, especially if Mobil 1 is getting black in your Accent.

My Elantra is still golden before and after oil change.

I understand that it seems to be the norm with our Azera's, but when i took auto mechanics, it was time to change the oil when the oil was dirty. Dirt is the enemy. If the oil is dirty very quickly, there must be more of it available to contaminmate the oil.

Talk to me goose. I'm not buying that oil should get dirty this fast. Have owned over 25 cars and have NEVER seen this before after only 1000mi.
How many of the 25 cars had GDI engines ?? dark oil is normal for a GDI engine

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is a great discussion on why the oil gets dark so early. So can someone please explain what the difference between a GDi and MPI injection is? I would have guessed they would be identical technology with the auto manufacturers using just a different acronym to help sell something new . Am I wrong?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
This is a great discussion on why the oil gets dark so early. So can someone please explain what the difference between a GDi and MPI injection is? I would have guessed they would be identical technology with the auto manufacturers using just a different acronym to help sell something new . Am I wrong?
Somewhere in here, sbr711 referred to GDI as 'a diesel with a spark plug' and that isn't too far from the truth. In a standard multi-port fuel-injected engine, fuel is injected into the intake tract where it mixes with air, is forced into the cylinder and the spark plug ignites it. With direct injection, the gasoline is highly-pressurized (like a diesel) and is sprayed directly into the combustion chamber (also like a diesel) and sparked off as the cylinder returns upward on the intake stroke. The only difference between diesel and GDI besides the fuel used is that diesels use compression to create combustion while GDI uses a spark plug, hence "diesel with a spark plug". ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts