Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Just purchased a pristine 2011 GLS with very low mileage. The car is essentially mint (garaged + well cared for by previous owner), but has one, occasionally noticeable issue: once warmed up, a very loud metallic buzz/rattle noise is heard from the rear of the car, particularly under low RPM acceleration. I've had many cars in the past with similar noises, which all turned out to be loose heat-shields at various locations along the exhaust systems. With this in mind, I've felt all the heat-shields on my "new" car, and they all seem to be securely in place - though some (especially the rear one over the muffler) seem to be minimally supported by design, and could potentially be resonating with certain exhaust frequencies.

Has anyone else experienced this noise/issue? If so, have you determined a root cause?

Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Even though you are reporting the noise coming from the rear of the car, it might not hurt to see if the previous owner did the recall for the fuel line clip in the engine compartment. It was redesigned after the 2011 year because the original version could break and cause the fuel line to rattle along the engine bay. I used to get a buzz around 1500-2000 RPM until I had it replaced. It's nice and quiet now (aside from the normal GDI buzzing at WOT).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the reply - greatly appreciated! I hadn't considered this, as most of the noise definitely sounds like it's from the rear (or maybe middle) of the car, but it could certainly be a contributor.

Sounds like you're referring to this, correct (found on other thread)?:

BODY
10-BD-007
OCTOBER, 2010
2011 SONATA 2.4L
ENGINE COMPARTMENT RATTLE DURING
ACCELERATION - FUEL TUBE HOLDER
DESCRIPTION:
Some Sonata 2.4L vehicles may exhibit a rattle sound from the driver’s side of the
engine compartment, which can be heard from inside the cabin. This can be observed
during certain engine operating speed ranges (1600-2000 RPM) or during light
acceleration.
The rattle may be caused by the plastic fuel tube holder vibrating slightly against the
engine compartment bulkhead.
Follow the service procedure outlined in this bulletin to correct the condition by
replacing the fuel tube holder with a newly-revised part.
APPLICABLE VEHICLES:
• Model: 2011 Sonata (YF) equipped with 2.4L engine
• Production Date Range: Start of production to August 31, 2010

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
So that's all the buzzing is?!?!? I get it too and its extremely annoying. I have a 2011 which I purchased new. How long does it take to have the recall service done? Is this something I can physically see under the hood? This buzzing is driving me crazy and has been for 2 years now. If there a TSB number I can look at or refer the dealer to?

Thanks Herr_Howard.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
So I had my car at the dealer today and gave a copy of the TSB to the service advisor who then advised me that they don't perform TSBs unless there is an actual problem with the vehicle. My blood started boiling at that point. He said he would have the tech look at it. An hour and a half later, my car was returned to me. The service advisor said they couldn't reproduce the rattling which I immediately replied that I could reproduce it right there. I wasn't given the opportunity to do that, but the advisor said they would go ahead and order the part and give me a call when it was in. They also performed two other campaigns for a stop lamp switch and a transmission inhibitor bracket. Fantastic:rolleyes:

Question: Are dealers supposed to perform TSBs regardless if the vehicle in question is having the issue or not?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ Sorry to hear they gave you such a hard time. I'm not sure about how TSB's work, but are they something that the dealer would typically cover IF they determine that it's an issue on your particular car? If so, I guess I can understand their motivation to "deny" that you're actually having a problem...

Last night, I checked my car for the fuel tube support issue, and, sure-enough: it looked EXACTLY like the picture I found in the actual TSB document from Hyundai of an affected vehicle. The clip was loose and was visibly contacting the firewall (had even scraped paint significantly at the point of contact). While this is definitely not the only source of noise in my car, I now suspect that it is a contributing factor.(though I haven't yet had time to experiment with a temporary remedy...)

As far as my major noise issue is concerned, it's VERY evident that the primary source of my rattle/buzz under light revving of the engine is coming from somewhere around the muffler (it's loudest when standing next to the passenger rear wheel while someone hits the gas). The noise shows a definite correlation to heat - it's far worse after the system has warmed up. ....frustrating. I may try some further diagnostics (e.g. wadding some towels into the heat-shield for a couple of seconds to see if the noise stops) this weekend.... Any other thoughts from the Hyundai community??

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sorry I hadn't replied earlier (looks like other eagle-eyed forum members have), but yes, that is indeed the part and it took them all of about 30 minutes to replace it. I actually had it done as part of some other work that was being done on my front right axle (CV joint was oozing lubricant, had the whole right front axle replaced under warranty!!!) but between that fix, the fix for the rattle, and a 4-wheel alignment I think I was out of the dealership in 2 1/2 hours.

As for the muffler sound, have you gotten under the back to see if everything is still attached correctly?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK - I've just put the car up on a lift and had someone rev it while I was underneath: I am now 100% sure that the noise is coming entirely from within the muffler itself. It's not heat shields, or anything up front. It must either be a failed baffle, or some debris that's become caught inside.

So, aside from the noise, I'm concerned about this situation creating back-pressure, so I think it's time to source a new muffler.

Can anyone recommend the best place for me to purchase an OEM muffler? Is there any hope of this being covered under the warranty by Hyundai (I'm not the original owner, tho...)?

Thanks again everyone for the help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
S O L V E D :

Took the car in for exhaust and fuel-tube examination. Diagnosis: Fuel Tube Holder IS causing quite a bit of noise, and the muffler HAS experienced an internal failure.

Muffler assy. was replaced, and fuel-tube TSB was incorporated. The results are EXCELLENT - this car is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter now. No noise from the rear, and way less engine-noise coming through the firewall! I'm VERY happy with the results! Thanks to HH for pointing me towards the Fuel Tube Holder: I never would have brought this up to the dealer, and I had no idea what a big improvement it makes when fixed.

As a side note: I had also complained to the dealer of an occasional mechanical impact/shock felt in the steering wheel when hitting bumps: it was diagnosed as a (very) bad steering-shaft joint, and the shaft assy. was replaced. I offer this as a warning, because my car (according to Hyundai) had been previously inspected for this issue as part of the 2011 recall, and was found to be OK. However, now, in 2013, with 40k mi on it, the problem seems to have surfaced... ...and this could be a safety issue. Bottom line: if you have a car from the recall period (manuf. in 2010 or 2011, I believe) and you feel some play/impact in the steering - - go have it looked at!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Awesome-sauce! I'm glad I was able to point you toward the fuel tube holder. I, too, was amazed at how much quieter the car was once that little piece was replaced!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I performed this fix with the clip but did not fix my problem. My engine only has this whining sound after I've been driving on the highway. If I turn my car off it goes away instantly. Any possible solutions to this?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
133 Posts
Isn't the Sonata buzzy in general? Sounds like a 1.6L and not a 2.4L

Look at the Camry the NVH is really good. And any sounds it makes are smooth sounds and not the harsh rattle thrashing noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same rattle for my 2011 Sonata

I Have a 2011 Sonata and hear the same rattle passenger rear by exhaust. I was wondering the same thing! Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue? Its pretty annoying and doesn't seem like it should be a huge fix. Thanks for posting and sharing and please let me know if you ever received any valuable info or fixes for the rattle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there, I am having the same rattle in our 2011 Sonata and it also sounds like its coming from the passenger side exhaust. Have you have any luck in figuring out a solution? Thanks for your thoughts and post.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts