Banned
630 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Might be even better if aluminum wheels were an option. Double sided marketing. Let Hyundai take credit for the MPG of the manual while making it a no option stripper and the having throttle dampening ruin the driving experience.

·
Registered
932 Posts
OK, those guys are nuts.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I love my car and its mileage but I will be HUGELY surprised if they can achieve this without pushing the car the last 200-300 miles!!

Good luck to them if they do :thumbsup:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Uh, with just about 82 miles to go and close to 1/3 of the tank left, I'd say he'll make it easily!

If they drove this with the AC off to help boost the mileage, I'd say they could do it with the AC on, too.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wow... Just WOW! ...Latest update and I'd say the two photos below pretty much tell the story:

917 miles and still nearly a half tank left.

Aftermarket digital gauge on the dash, [which I'm assuming is much more accurate] shows over 73 MPG! Take that hybrids and diesels! Go Hyundai!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Whaaat? Can someone PLEASE explain to me how the **** someone can average over 73 mpg in a MT 2011 Sonata? Something sounds fundamentally wrong about this "experiment" or "challenge". I just can't buy it. I hyper-mile as well, but I've never been able to average more than 41mpg driving from KC to STL. This is just plain ludicrous... I demand explanations and techniques! NOW!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
QUOTE (Proprioceptive @ Jun 18 2010, 01:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333989
Whaaat? Can someone PLEASE explain to me how the **** someone can average over 73 mpg in a MT 2011 Sonata? Something sounds fundamentally wrong about this "experiment" or "challenge". I just can't buy it. I hyper-mile as well, but I've never been able to average more than 41mpg driving from KC to STL. This is just plain ludicrous... I demand explanations and techniques! NOW!!
The following is a quote from the parent site referenced by the OP: www.CleanMPG.com

"The best article on Hypermiling can be found in the thread "Beating the EPA - the Why's and How to Hypermile" by Wayne Gerdes. This article describes many of the basic and advanced techniques. Please read it and try at least one or two techniques in your daily commute. You will be surprised at how effectively they can reduce your fuel consumption and save yourself some money, while helping out the environment, while making you a calmer, more effective driver in the process!"

Now I am not a member of the site, nor have I read the above referenced article, [yet] so I cant attest to the validity of the claims, however it seems like a good place to start.

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (Doc_V @ Jun 18 2010, 01:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333993
The following is a quote from the parent site referenced by the OP: www.CleanMPG.com

"The best article on Hypermiling can be found in the thread "Beating the EPA - the Why's and How to Hypermile" by Wayne Gerdes. This article describes many of the basic and advanced techniques. Please read it and try at least one or two techniques in your daily commute. You will be surprised at how effectively they can reduce your fuel consumption and save yourself some money, while helping out the environment, while making you a calmer, more effective driver in the process!"

Now I am not a member of the site, nor have I read the above referenced article, [yet] so I cant attest to the validity of the claims, however it seems like a good place to start.
I've read quite a lot on hyper-miling, but this one is new. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe the author of that article is the dude that pulled this off.

Whats interesting is that the Sonata was provided by Hyundai for the test. Hmmm... how long till we see this in marketing?

·
Registered
233 Posts
QUOTE (afob3 @ Jun 18 2010, 07:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334039
I believe the author of that article is the dude that pulled this off.

Whats interesting is that the Sonata was provided by Hyundai for the test. Hmmm... how long till we see this in marketing?
Excellent, I think that's a good thing! It shows there out there being proactive and paying attention to the market. I hope they're paying attention to this site as well.

...Hello there "Hyundai person", you out there? :00000732:

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ Jun 18 2010, 02:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334239
Drive the GS Parkway at 50 or hyper miling etc... you are a serious danger to others on the road. So much for real world safety.
That's why I said, those guys are crazy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Regarding Doc_V's post about the Top Gear challange, those three aren't in the practice of driving for fuel economy and I doubt the Stig was much help. I hear their next attempt will be in a Morris Marina with a piano on top.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Hey all,
Yes, he made it. Wayne, owner and admin of CleanMPG, drove from Wisconsin, near Sheboygan, to Long Island on a single tank of fuel. I went along with him on the last leg to Riverhead and back to get the odometer over 1000 miles. Although my added weight didn't help the mileage on the uphills, it helped gaining momentum downhills. We were way over 70mpg heading out and back. At 1006.6 miles, the fuel gage showed 1/3 tank (4 pips out of 12), and we had just lost that fifth pip on 495 maybe 15 miles before fillup.
My wife's car (2011 Sonata 6MT) is averaging 34-37mpg with a 50/50 mix of stop-n-go and open road. Steady speed on the interstate, it's good for 50-55mpg. She uses the same basic techniques listed in the article linked above.
My midsize Chevy (EPA 20/28) shows an average of 32.2 on the gas display. And it's accurate. That involves typical LI traffic with some parkway travel.
There is no magic involved. It is just using the car's built-in fuel economy capabilities to their fullest.
What I can say is that there is a small plugin display that shows OBD parameters, and that device is indispensable in determining the correct throttle and road speed to keep the engine in its peak efficiency range. This inexpensive device does not change engine parameters, it only reads them and reports them to the driver.
The challenge car is a Venetian Red GLS 6MT with no options. It had about 3900 miles at the start, and it's over 5000 miles now, so it's well broken in.

Here's an extra shot of the two Sonatas - up ahead is my wife's Black Plum and the just behind is the Venetian Red challenge car. Probably should have thought to move my Chevy out of the way. :) It's only four years old, but the Sonata makes it look rather outdated.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts