Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tire pressure light came on yesterday morning. When I took my car in for the recall inspection I had them check the tires. They said the tires were all fine, probably just lower because of the cooler weather. Apparently the light indicator is pretty sensitive, warning you if the pressure drops even 2-3 psi. He said next time I come in for an oil change have them refill the tires with pure nitrogen and that will reduce the weather-induced pressure variation. Considering air is already 80% would 100% nitrogen really make a difference? Or is this just a money-making scam (although he didn't say if they charged for the service or not, but I'd imagine they do since it's not a warranty issue). Anyone have 100% nitrogen filled tires?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (cdwarrior @ Oct 19 2010, 02:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364573
My tire pressure light came on yesterday morning. When I took my car in for the recall inspection I had them check the tires. They said the tires were all fine, probably just lower because of the cooler weather. Apparently the light indicator is pretty sensitive, warning you if the pressure drops even 2-3 psi. He said next time I come in for an oil change have them refill the tires with pure nitrogen and that will reduce the weather-induced pressure variation. Considering air is already 80% would 100% nitrogen really make a difference? Or is this just a money-making scam (although he didn't say if they charged for the service or not, but I'd imagine they do since it's not a warranty issue). Anyone have 100% nitrogen filled tires?
Nitrogen is for lazy people that do not do proper car maint. I have read (unable to validate if true or not) that you cause issues with corrosion inside the rim mixing 100% Nitrogen with "normal" air. I check my tires once a week so I dont see a need for nitrogen.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Nitrogen is not as susceptible to the temperature changes that a tire undergoes during regular use and seasonal temps. This is probably why they say a Nitrogen filled tire will last longer since it doesn't inflate in warmer temps and deflate in cooler temps.

It also "leaks" out much more slowly than regular air, so once properly filled the tires should hold that pressure longer.

I believe that both of those points have been proven by independent sources so I do not believe that the Nitrogen concept is a "scam". Can't say for sure whether it is worth the additional cost, either, although at my dealership they will fill or "top off" Nitrogen tires for the life of the tire free of charge so there isn't a further charge beyond the initial installation and valve change.

I agree with Bearcats, however, that for folks who don't take the time to check their tire pressures it will enable them to get by with proper pressure a little longer.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Mine came with nitrogen in the tires also. I agree with the above post also.

Costco is in my area and I talked to them and was told they put nitrogen in EVERY tire they sell...

I was told I could pull into Costco any time and they will top me off for no charge as long as I am a member.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Valve change??
So once I switch to pure nitrogen I would no longer be able to put regular air in the tires if I needed to in a pinch?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Sorry, I meant "valve cap" change.

Oops.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have Nitrogen filled tires on my SE, the dealer had to DX the vehicle from an out of state dealer that converts all their new cars as a free service to their customers. Now what's not good with me is that the dealer I bought it from does not have Nitrogen available and from what I've seen around my area (no in-depth searching) not to many places offer it. I am pretty good with checking fluids and air pressure regularly on my vehicles just to be sure they are where they should be, but I'm a little concerned if I would need to top off my tires that I wouldn't be able to find a Nitrogen fill station.

I tossed the idea around about pulling the valve core and letting the Nitrogen out and then just re-filling the tires from my garage compressor, I have a line dryer so there is very little moisture in the air and I've never really had a major issue with lossing pressure in my tires so I don't know if its worth keeping the Nitrogen in them or not and then having to go through loops finding a place to top off Nitrogen. When I go in for my oil change I will discuss this with the service dept and see what they reccommend.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Air is free. Nitrogen is big $$$$. They both leak out when you get a nail. Apples, oranges.....????

The solution to the TPMS light problem is to overfill the tires 5 psi, as stated in the TSB.

·
Registered
20 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Oct 19 2010, 02:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364577
Nitrogen is for lazy people that do not do proper car maint. I have read (unable to validate if true or not) that you cause issues with corrosion inside the rim mixing 100% Nitrogen with "normal" air. I check my tires once a week so I dont see a need for nitrogen.
+1 on the lazy people...

No corrosion issues will be introduced by 'mixing' Nitrogen with common air. The "using nitrogen only" idea comes from the concept that tires filled with air from a regular compressor will contain some water vapor which will condense inside. Not an issue with us driving our Sonatas around public roads and highways, even at 20 mph over the posted limit.

Water vapor is mostly an issue when your Daytona 500 race car tires get heated up and the water vapor goes to steam, or your jet airplane's tires have a condensed puddle inside that freezes to an unbalancing lump at altitude that will make itself known while landing. That's why race teams and airline maintenance people use a bottle of nitrogen to fill tires - they know there is little to none water vapor in there.

Air is 21% oxygen and 78% nitrogen (the other 1% is a mixture of all other gases). If you think the oxygen will leak out faster and the nitrogen stays longer, just keep checking pressure and filling your tires regularly. As the oxygen leaks out and you replace that leaked portion with 78% nitrogen, eventually you will approach having 99% nitrogen in your tires. :bwekk:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts