Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new '10 Elantra Blue this week and had a question about the fuel capacity. The low fuel indicator came on today and I drove about 10-15 miles to a station to fill up, thinking I was right near the end of my tank. Turns out I only managed to put 11.77 gallons in the tank, even though it's supposed to hold 14 gallons. Does the fuel indicator actually come on with about 2.5 gallons left in the tank, or am I missing something here? I don't want to get caught running it down to empty, but I also don't want to fill up 60 or 70 miles before I need to every time. Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Once the light goes on, you can have from 30-45 miles.

This is your reserve, and you should NOT, EVER drive on your reserve unless its an emergency.

Your car is brand new, so during the first few years you dont have to worry about this but derbis bulds over time in your tank. When you run in your reserve, this is what your engine will burn, reducing its life, clogging inyectors and posibly damaging your intake valves... piston, oxygen sensors, etc.....

And you must be very cautious on your first 3000 - 5000 miles, your driving habits will define how gas saver your car will be and pretty much the life yor engine will have in the future. Do not overrrun the engine over 3000 RPM's, or do it the least you can.

What I would recomend you to do is, fill your car with the highest octane gas available in your area, unleaded (i dont think they have leaded fuel anywhere anymore) 10% ehtanol is OK. This might sould a bit more expensive when filling the tank, but will translate as well in less fillings between each tank. Higher octanes, higher efficiency, hence higher miles.

Also, if you run on your reserve, you run the risk that in a turn with enough G forces to lift the gas from the bottom of the tank, your engine can can shut off due to lack of fuel, as you would when you run out of gasoline (by driving too much on reserve). You need to avoid this scenario as much as you can since it huts the starter, fuel pump, injectors, pistons, pretty much everything... when you crank the engine i mean.

As you say, your elantra's tank has capacity for 14 gallons. And once the light comes on, you can drive from 30-40 miles, depending on the conditions of your driving. Remember that your most efficient RPM / MPG is between the 1700 and the 2500 rpms....

·
Registered
336 Posts
QUOTE (bseal @ Oct 4 2010, 06:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361045
Does the fuel indicator actually come on with about 2.5 gallons left in the tank, or am I missing something here?
This is consistent with my experience on my '08 Elantra GLS which now has 22000 miles. I usually drive 5 to 30 miles after the low fuel alarm comes on and it will typically hold 11.5 to 12.5 gallons. I average right at 30 MPG and my mileage varies between 27 MPG and 36 MPG depending on the driving conditions. I have never run it out of gas. The largest amount it has held is 13.3 gallons. That happened in a rural area and I had trouble finding a gas station ... was getting pretty nervous by the time I found a place to fill up.

·
Registered
501 Posts
QUOTE (SW-FL-Hank @ Oct 19 2010, 02:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364439
Once the light goes on, you can have from 30-45 miles.

This is your reserve, and you should NOT, EVER drive on your reserve unless its an emergency.

Your car is brand new, so during the first few years you dont have to worry about this but derbis bulds over time in your tank. When you run in your reserve, this is what your engine will burn, reducing its life, clogging inyectors and posibly damaging your intake valves... piston, oxygen sensors, etc.....

And you must be very cautious on your first 3000 - 5000 miles, your driving habits will define how gas saver your car will be and pretty much the life yor engine will have in the future. Do not overrrun the engine over 3000 RPM's, or do it the least you can.

What I would recomend you to do is, fill your car with the highest octane gas available in your area, unleaded (i dont think they have leaded fuel anywhere anymore) 10% ehtanol is OK. This might sould a bit more expensive when filling the tank, but will translate as well in less fillings between each tank. Higher octanes, higher efficiency, hence higher miles.

Also, if you run on your reserve, you run the risk that in a turn with enough G forces to lift the gas from the bottom of the tank, your engine can can shut off due to lack of fuel, as you would when you run out of gasoline (by driving too much on reserve). You need to avoid this scenario as much as you can since it huts the starter, fuel pump, injectors, pistons, pretty much everything... when you crank the engine i mean.

As you say, your elantra's tank has capacity for 14 gallons. And once the light comes on, you can drive from 30-40 miles, depending on the conditions of your driving. Remember that your most efficient RPM / MPG is between the 1700 and the 2500 rpms....
With all due respect. :)

Total waste of money buying high octane fuel, unless specified by the manufacturer. Higher octane = Higher efficiency? Not true.

Dirt in bottom of fuel tank? Not an issue. Maybe in the old days. Not now. But I do agree not to almost run dry often. What would be the point?

Do not rev above 3000 RPM? Ever taken a tour of a modern engine or vehicle manufacturing plant? Up to red line. Up to red line. Keep it there for a while. Up to red line. Over and over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts