Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems as though there are some known issues possibly with the 2014 Santa Fe engines. Should it be acceptable to only replace the engine for an issue that was brought up on the second day of owning the car? In my opinion the right thing to do would be to replace the car. Just want to get others thoughts. The issue stated is that the piston has some issues in the engine. They will need the car for approximately 2 weeks. They will be replacing the engine with a remanufactured engine. At the very least shouldn't it be new since I paid for a new car?

C

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Most Hyundai warranty policy is that replacements is Re-Man.. be it engine or trans.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That sucks... The least you could do is push for a NEW engine not a remanufactured one. Esp given the fact that the car is two days old

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to push strong for a New engine. Staff at the dealership said that I should really push Hyundai hard to buy the vehicle back since it is brand new. They said there are so many parts to remove the car may never drive the same. Do you think there are really that many parts to remove to replace the engine?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I am going to push strong for a New engine. Staff at the dealership said that I should really push Hyundai hard to buy the vehicle back since it is brand new. They said there are so many parts to remove the car may never drive the same. Do you think there are really that many parts to remove to replace the engine?
They probably are referring to the feel of the steering.

·
Banned
358 Posts
And this is why I didn't buy the 2.0T motor. I had 2 engine failures with my Sonata and have heard of a lot more on the forums of them blowing up.

It sucks man, but your not going to get a new engine. You can push all you want, but your going to get a reman engine. There was a guy on the Sonata Forums who blew up within 150 miles and he fought for 3 weeks to get everything new and they said no. Also, I received 2 of them as well.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I have the 2.4 (2014 month and a half old) and I have a meeting tomorrow with a Hyundai guy from corporate to hear the racket the engine makes! Sounds like a diesel with 1600 miles.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
P

That sucks... The least you could do is push for a NEW engine not a remanufactured one. Esp given the fact that the car is two days old
Completely agree. And I would want at least a new engine, preferably a new car.

But it should still be somewhat comforting to know you have 10 years & 100000 miles warranty on the engine repair.
John

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would push for a new engine in a new car, the reman could be from an engine that is a year old and it's likely one that had it's piston go bad.

Lurn 2 Spel

·
Registered
378 Posts
Wow! :eek:

This is the last straw for sure. The Chevy Equinox Forum has hundreds of threads pertaining to L4 engines blowing up due to bad timing chains and I could not believe it. I would have thought in this day and age blown engines would be the last topic of discussion anywhere.
Now it looks like Hyundai in their wisdom to put 4cyl engines in their SFS are experiencing the same problem? There is more than enough detail in this forum to tell me that the new SFS is not for me at this time. I have been reading a number of forums in regards to the problems with this new gen of SFS and the problems are varied and numerous. Yes I realize that it is a new vehicle and that there will be problems however the performance of this new SFS is way below acceptable and and not meeting the expectations of the consumer. Wind noise, creaking dash's, terrible mpg, blown engines, leaking pana roofs, bad seats, ugly 17" wheels, paint problems, and on and on it goes. I think Hyundai really blew it with this new SFS and it will come back to haunt them. The old SF was such a great vehicle despite the harsh ride, wind and road noise and was a great seller. All of these problems will certainly knock it down in the ratings and in the minds of the potential buyers. It will be interesting to watch the sales numbers compared to the model it replaced. Our dealer here has indicated that at this point in time it is not selling as well as the previous model but there has been what they refer to as "good response" so far.
I have said this before and I will say it again. For the money the 2014 Sorento is a better buy. Similarly equipped, same chassis and suspension parts and comes with a 3.3 V6 which gets better mpg's than the 2.0T. Having driven both I find that the Sorento has a better ride and is much quieter inside especially at highway speeds.

Hey man I feel for you and your engine problems and I would definitely ask for a new vehicle due to how new yours is. There is no way I would want them tearing this engine apart to try and fix it. Keep up the fight.B)

·
22,793 Posts
Man, that is terrible news. It appears Hyundai is pretty adamant about the reman. engine. But after 10 days? The tires haven't been able to properly heat up in that amount of time. Hate to say "attorney," but I'd suggest it as a back burner, last resort option. Hopefully, this will sort itself out to YOUR satisfaction. Good luck.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wow! :eek:

This is the last straw for sure. The Chevy Equinox Forum has hundreds of threads pertaining to L4 engines blowing up due to bad timing chains and I could not believe it. I would have thought in this day and age blown engines would be the last topic of discussion anywhere.
Now it looks like Hyundai in their wisdom to put 4cyl engines in their SFS are experiencing the same problem? There is more than enough detail in this forum to tell me that the new SFS is not for me at this time. I have been reading a number of forums in regards to the problems with this new gen of SFS and the problems are varied and numerous. Yes I realize that it is a new vehicle and that there will be problems however the performance of this new SFS is way below acceptable and and not meeting the expectations of the consumer. Wind noise, creaking dash's, terrible mpg, blown engines, leaking pana roofs, bad seats, ugly 17" wheels, paint problems, and on and on it goes. I think Hyundai really blew it with this new SFS and it will come back to haunt them. The old SF was such a great vehicle despite the harsh ride, wind and road noise and was a great seller. All of these problems will certainly knock it down in the ratings and in the minds of the potential buyers. It will be interesting to watch the sales numbers compared to the model it replaced. Our dealer here has indicated that at this point in time it is not selling as well as the previous model but there has been what they refer to as "good response" so far.
I have said this before and I will say it again. For the money the 2014 Sorento is a better buy. Similarly equipped, same chassis and suspension parts and comes with a 3.3 V6 which gets better mpg's than the 2.0T. Having driven both I find that the Sorento has a better ride and is much quieter inside especially at highway speeds.

Hey man I feel for you and your engine problems and I would definitely ask for a new vehicle due to how new yours is. There is no way I would want them tearing this engine apart to try and fix it. Keep up the fight.B)
Interesting points that you make. This was the major deciding factor when I bought my Azera last year when deciding between the Azera and the Sonata. Sorry, I'm just not comfortable with a 4 cyl engine in a car that size. Don't get me wrong, the Sonata and the Santa Fe are both nice cars but they should at least have a 6 cyl engine as an option.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm not sure how many 2013's are having this issue... as this topic hasn't really come up much since I joined up in February when I got my SFS.
I have the 2.0T - now with 23,000km on it, no issues whatsoever.
All the best to those that do though... it does suck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes I realize that it is a new vehicle and that there will be problems however the performance of this new SFS is way below acceptable and and not meeting the expectations of the consumer. Wind noise, creaking dash's, terrible mpg, blown engines, leaking pana roofs, bad seats, ugly 17" wheels, paint problems, and on and on it goes. I think Hyundai really blew it with this new SFS and it will come back to haunt them.
Speaking of WOW. A bit overboard, don't you think? It's hilarious how you even throw in ugly wheels, LOL. Our 2014 SFS has exceeded all of our expectations. I expect the new Santa Fe to be quite successful. I could go to any car forum and build a list like you did. I'd be curious to know what percentage of new SFS's have the issues you list. I bet it's quite small, but like you, I have no idea. The sky is not falling.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Interesting points that you make. This was the major deciding factor when I bought my Azera last year when deciding between the Azera and the Sonata. Sorry, I'm just not comfortable with a 4 cyl engine in a car that size. Don't get me wrong, the Sonata and the Santa Fe are both nice cars but they should at least have a 6 cyl engine as an option.
If the 6 cylinder got the same mileage that would be great, but it wasn't offered. Part of my decision was based on other manufacturers like VW and Audi which also had the same sized engines. Plus, when I test drove it, I found there was plenty of power.

If there is a problem, the warranty will cover it, If it persists, I will sell it.

Lurn 2 Spel

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Well I think they use as many of the parts as practical off the old engine, but I could be wrong. Alternator, starter, turbo, manifilds and so on. All that takes time to remove and put on the new engine.

So did do they know or tell what happens with the piston - was it noisy, blue exhaust smoke, engine running hot or engine died ?

Could be cracked piston or rings, piston slap, problem with lubrication and/or connecting rod. If it is a piston issue

You may not know or care but I'm curious so pls share any info,

thanks and good luck

1 - 20 of 55 Posts